U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 01:54 AM

13,783 posts, read 9,287,919 times

Advertisements

It seems like no matter who makes the Lightning cables for iPhones they all break or stop working after awhile. It's either the connector gets worn out or the cables stop charging.

I've tried a bunch of brands from good brands to no name ones. Even Apple's own OEM cables are crap.

I think it's one of Apple's money making ways to make them so easy to damage so they can milk it.

For my Android devices that uses USB-C, I've rarely had one go bad on me. They're all durable and never stops charging and most of my Android devices charges 3x faster than my Apple devices these days.

It's absurd that in 2019, Apple is still using lightning cable even thought they've got USB-C ports on all of their Macbooks and iMacs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 AM

10,617 posts, read 9,057,101 times
Deleted

Old 02-17-2019, 03:54 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,071,294 times
The new 11” iPad Pro has a USB-C port.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:07 AM

3,450 posts, read 6,331,405 times
I assure you that USB-C cables are subject to the same issues as Lightning cables. The term is "planned obsolescence" as designed by the manufacturers. It shouldn't happen, but clearly it does.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:45 AM

39,912 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Good quality cables do last. Braided, with integrated Kevlar fibers and heavy reinforcement at the stress points
are long lasting.
I have several of those for years now. They still look like new:
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Powerli...SCC9YC2TCGFG62
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:44 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
I see the occasional post about “this or that” is crap be it Apple or some Android. But since the OP is focusing on Apple, we will look at that issue. Every time, about two years, we buy new phones. Each comes with a new lightning cable. I have about 3 or 4 brand new cables in a drawer. None of my Apple using friends or family have the issue of which you speak.

The question to the OP is what are doing wrong? You tried how many lighting cables?

Old 02-17-2019, 10:39 PM

850 posts, read 296,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I see the occasional post about “this or that” is crap be it Apple or some Android. But since the OP is focusing on Apple, we will look at that issue. Every time, about two years, we buy new phones. Each comes with a new lightning cable. I have about 3 or 4 brand new cables in a drawer. None of my Apple using friends or family have the issue of which you speak.

The question to the OP is what are doing wrong? You tried how many lighting cables?
I agree...

Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 2,502,576 times
i find it funny that universal serial busport is universal for everything except apple ?

obviously, its a money making technique for apple since half their revenues come from accessories. thats why they change connector plugs every few iterations of ifones/ipods/ipads so that their users would have to rebuy the same accessories and chargers.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
Maybe OP is using the cable in a way that makes it bend too far and break? Lightning cables with right-angle connectors might be a solution.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...gaAgejEALw_wcB

Old 02-18-2019, 10:32 AM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i find it funny that universal serial busport is universal for everything except apple ?

obviously, its a money making technique for apple since half their revenues come from accessories. thats why they change connector plugs every few iterations of ifones/ipods/ipads so that their users would have to rebuy the same accessories and chargers.
You got me thinking. Having a universal,serial, busport is no doubt the most important aspect of a smart phone. But when I switch to Android, what will I do with those 3 or 4 brand new lightning cables in my drawer? I’ll admit they are crap as they do tend to wear out after only five years, but luckily you can pick one up at any office supply store.

Are you aware that in the 11 years the iPhone has been out the charging cable was changed once. That was 8 years ago with the iPhone 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones