U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:12 PM

4,758 posts, read 12,572,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
ya gotta jump into the river at some point. I. can see us having this conversation in two years as you hold out for the 13 The fact your 5s still works is a testament to the build quality of Apple.
But it will die some day. Best to replace before that happens
Exactly. There've been movies made on the 5S so I know it's quite the osg phone. I can only listen to voice mail on speaker & the charge super depletes after doing a property inspection with photos. LOL, I've got to replace soon or I'll be stuck till September if it lasts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 03:45 PM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Get the 8. it's a great phone. Every iPhone from here on out will be just like the XR. The 8 is capable and a new one will last you many years. My wife just got an XR and hates that the button is gone. She's finally getting used to it but I think the 8, which has some nice upgrades over the 7, is the smart play here for you.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 PM

7,147 posts, read 3,904,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Get the 8. it's a great phone. Every iPhone from here on out will be just like the XR. The 8 is capable and a new one will last you many years. My wife just got an XR and hates that the button is gone. She's finally getting used to it but I think the 8, which has some nice upgrades over the 7, is the smart play here for you.
I’m used to it now too, but the one thing I don’t like about Face ID is that you have to look at it (obviously) - when unlocking in the car before I could just Touch ID it to connect to CarPlay.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:39 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
She HATES FaceID. There's a setting to make it not quite so strict which helped a lot. "It's not as secure!" That's fine.. I don't think anyone is going to try to use a photo of her to try and get in her phone... She doesn't need to quite make eye contact with it. It's better, but she still hates it.

Plus she uses Apple Pay occasionally and that with Face ID is just stupid...

Old 09-23-2019, 11:03 AM

515 posts, read 657,228 times
Quote:
Rather than start a new thread about the iPhone 11: There are multiple reviews about it now; it's supposed to be an awesome phone, with the camera(s), etc. $699 doesn't seem nuts, to me. The XR is $599, & the 8 $449. I was in the Xfinity store recently, & I thought the XR looked beautiful, & I liked the larger screen size, compared to the 8.

But I'm another older guy, like the OP I think, who's never owned a smartphone. And I'm another "ditherer" who just can't pick. Comcast has another promotion now where you get a $250 Visa card if you transfer another phone # (I have an old Nokia phone with T-mobile). So even the 11 would wind up costing, effectively, $449. The 8 $200.

I partly just want a new toy, but that won't drive me nuts with the learning curve. Given that I've never had a smartphone, maybe the XR wouldn't be that much harder to learn than the 8?????

Old 09-23-2019, 11:23 AM

13,777 posts, read 9,280,776 times
If you only check email, web, and social media there's no reason you can't use the 5S, 6, or 6S. Believe it or not many new Android phones today still have processors that are on par with the iPhone 5S. As as long you're not playing games with 3D graphics you'll be fine. iPhone SE would be a good cheap upgrade but lately few people like small phones.

Nobody needs an iPhone 11, it's simply an upgrade for those who are on plans that affords them a new phone every year.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:19 AM

13,322 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Quote:
She HATES FaceID. There's a setting to make it not quite so strict which helped a lot. "It's not as secure!" That's fine.. I don't think anyone is going to try to use a photo of her to try and get in her phone... She doesn't need to quite make eye contact with it. It's better, but she still hates it.

Plus she uses Apple Pay occasionally and that with Face ID is just stupid...
You can turn off Face ID for Apple Pay, if desired. Check the Face ID settings. I'm talking about iOS 13. I have no idea the setting was in 12 or not.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:22 AM

13,322 posts, read 20,368,637 times
I surprised myself by taking advantage of T-Mobile's offer to trade my 7 Plus for an 11. I got the 11 for half price - $350. It is really nice and much faster. I loved the 7 Plus, but I like the 11 better.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:55 AM

515 posts, read 657,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I surprised myself by taking advantage of T-Mobile's offer to trade my 7 Plus for an 11. I got the 11 for half price - $350. It is really nice and much faster. I loved the 7 Plus, but I like the 11 better.
Did you compare the 11 with the XR at all? The XR is $100 less. Here's a review of the XR. If you scroll about 1/2 way down, there's a pic showing the XR compared with the 7. Personally, I think I'd really prefer the larger screen size of the XR, or 11, vs. the older smaller phones.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-xr,review-5868.html

Old 09-25-2019, 04:38 PM

13,777 posts, read 9,280,776 times
My complaint isn't about the hardware. I just hate being asked about setting up Apple Pay. Apple says they don't make money selling data because they want to force fed their own monetization services. Same as Google but less choice.

iPhone hardware is good but just not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or