U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2019, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Reputation: 13850

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My complaint isn't about the hardware. I just hate being asked about setting up Apple Pay. Apple says they don't make money selling data because they want to force fed their own monetization services. Same as Google but less choice.

iPhone hardware is good but just not for me.
Then don’t get an iPhone. Fairly simple. Don’t make a big deal of it. No one is putting a gun to your head. BTW I use this thing called a credit card. It eliminates the need for apple pay or whatever google uses to make buying stuff with a phone more fun.

Last edited by Mr5150; 09-25-2019 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2019, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,322 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Reputation: 7995
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Did you compare the 11 with the XR at all? The XR is $100 less. Here's a review of the XR. If you scroll about 1/2 way down, there's a pic showing the XR compared with the 7. Personally, I think I'd really prefer the larger screen size of the XR, or 11, vs. the older smaller phones.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-xr,review-5868.html
I didn't see an offer of $250 for the XR. I do own one of those, though. My daughter uses it. I like it too. It's almost the same thing as the 11. I jut didn't see a better deal than the one I got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2019, 02:47 PM
 
Location: West Central Ohio
441 posts, read 252,949 times
Reputation: 630
I have the iPhone X and it is paid off now. My husband asked me if I wanted to "upgrade" I told him no. I honestly don't want to start over and being the fact my 10 has the Oleg screen I really don't want to go away from it, as the 11 is pretty much the new XR. I would have to get the 11 pro if I wanted to keep the same size and screen. Honestly this my phone is amazing! I have never liked a phone ever as much as I like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,758 posts, read 12,572,911 times
Reputation: 2083
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My complaint isn't about the hardware. I just hate being asked about setting up Apple Pay. Apple says they don't make money selling data because they want to force fed their own monetization services. Same as Google but less choice.

iPhone hardware is good but just not for me.
iPhone ownership is a personal choice; your data, however, has been sold since you got online. I loved my 5S but it kicked the bucket after a five year run back on April Fools day of this year.

I have the XMax and comparing the two size wise, the 5S looks like an infant phone. I haven't found the five models to make a difference to me with the exception of screen size. The camera on the Xmax has not impress me. I'm not attached to the Xmax like I was to my 5S.

It's unfortunate that we can't pick and choose who to sell out data and get paid for it; always read the small print for everything in life ~ City Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2019, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8055
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just hate being asked about setting up Apple Pay.
What?!? So you hate a phone... because you get asked ONE time if you want to use Apple Pay?!?! And if you say NO you never get asked again? That's ridiculous, vision33r.

As for 'selling your data' I am all in on Google but Apple is MUCH more secure then Google. Google tracks every single purchase I make with Google. They are no doubt data mining that. They don't hide that fact. But on the plus side I have a full record of everything I've bought with my phone. Apple, on the other hand, does NOT know what you buy through Apple Pay. So if privacy is your bag...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2019, 12:35 PM
 
25,873 posts, read 32,430,699 times
Reputation: 23090
I am happy with my iPhone 8. I am not sure whether I will upgrade. I had a screen bust up on my 8. A chain hook hit the screen when I was securing some machinery on a trailer. Verizon’s warranty company annoyed me. Next time I will opt for AppleCare on my next phone. In almost 7 years of having an iPhone this is the first time I have had a failure.

As far as data. Apple seems take security more seriously than Google. I like my Apple stuck. Like anything else. Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2019, 01:48 PM
 
Location: West Central Ohio
441 posts, read 252,949 times
Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I am happy with my iPhone 8. I am not sure whether I will upgrade. I had a screen bust up on my 8. A chain hook hit the screen when I was securing some machinery on a trailer. Verizon’s warranty company annoyed me. Next time I will opt for AppleCare on my next phone. In almost 7 years of having an iPhone this is the first time I have had a failure.

As far as data. Apple seems take security more seriously than Google. I like my Apple stuck. Like anything else. Different strokes for different folks.
I purchased AppleCare with my iPhone X 2 years ago. Suddenly my phone started ghost texting. If you have never had a phone do that trust me it is crazy. This phone started hitting the center predictive text buttons and the things it was typing was truly weird. For example, you are so beautiful, I love you, etc. I was like "what the what?????" It wouldn't stop until I had to shut the phone down. Then to restart it I had to plug it up. I only have one more month left of payments and the end of my AppleCare! I posted about it on MacRumors to be told the main brain was going out and to get to an Apple store right away. We don't live close to an apple store so I called them. It was on a Sunday too. The tech recommended I put in for an apple express replacement instead of just having it repaired. He said it was a new phone I would be getting but then someone else said it was probably a refurbished phone. I don't care because it has a new battery and I have a new phone. The only thing is AppleCare has new policies you can sign up for older phones but the cost is nearly as much as it was for my monthly payments. So hopefully I won't need it but if I do I will just opt for a new phone with payments once again.

Last edited by anitak1982; 10-02-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 AM
 
31,234 posts, read 48,328,378 times
Reputation: 16930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
ya gotta jump into the river at some point. I. can see us having this conversation in two years as you hold out for the 13 The fact your 5s still works is a testament to the build quality of Apple.
But it will die some day. Best to replace before that happens
Suppose there is upgrade that will happen in Nov and 5 phones will lose lot of their capabilities
I am not tech savvy at all
I am using 5s that has had screen replaced and I need to use exterior battery cases to extend battery life which is a hassle because they block signal but I I like the HOME button and don’t want to give that up really

I think I am going to have to upgrade but maybe just to the 8
I don’t really want a larger phone but don’t want to leave Apple—used to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2019, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Reputation: 13850
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Suppose there is upgrade that will happen in Nov and 5 phones will lose lot of their capabilities
I am not tech savvy at all
I am using 5s that has had screen replaced and I need to use exterior battery cases to extend battery life which is a hassle because they block signal but I I like the HOME button and don’t want to give that up really

I think I am going to have to upgrade but maybe just to the 8
I don’t really want a larger phone but don’t want to leave Apple—used to it
Compared to the 5s the 8 will amaze you. My 7 blows the 5s out of the water. The 8 is a little bit better than the 7. The 8 is performance bargain compared to the 11 models. Less than half the price. Smartphones have matured. Be it Samsung or Apple, a 3 year old flagship model performs almost as well as the latest models
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2019, 06:13 PM
 
31,234 posts, read 48,328,378 times
Reputation: 16930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
A new lightening cord is keeping my 5S alive and kicking. I saw the XR up close & personal & wasn't impressed; I like the 8 plus much better but have anxiety about the processer being 2 years behind. This fear has led me to investigate the 11. Thoughts?
I got the 8plus yesterday
It is bigger than my 5c but I had to use battery cases to keep mine going and they blocked signals
I was missing calls and having other issues
I want my home button
And I don’t care about all the camera whoop whoop
I am not 16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top