U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 07:22 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,364,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
My BF lives near Kitty Hawk (across the bridge) and is at the beach frequently. He uses Cricket (ATT mvno) and rarely has any issues.
I have Total Wireless (which is a VZW mvno) and honestly I never have a problem down there.
I switched my service over to the AT&T Tracfone sim, it's working out much better for me than the Verizon.

My neighborhood seems to be in a Verizon dead spot, plus there's been a lot of new houses built but no new VZ cell towers. When the towers get congested, I guess the MVNO customers get deprioritized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:43 AM

13,419 posts, read 3,665,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
If Google, can find in tech news media reports last year, but I did confirm in the last days with Verizon Wireless's 2nd level tech support, they are planning to take down their older 1x/CDMA network 12/31/2019. If you are yet using 1x for calls like I am (when on a call, 1x instead of 4G appears on the phone status bar), you will lose service on that band on/around that date if VZW plans hold. What this means (forgive the long post, but also sharing information gathered which may be helpful to anyone in a similar situation):

* If have an older VZW, say flip phone, or any cell phone that does not support 4G, one day suddenly no service on your phone.

* If you have a 4G smartphone and am in a weaker signal area, myself in 110-115 dba 1-2 signal bars (if dba number is even higher, you have even less signal), the 4G is not reliable enough to do simultaneous data and have *incoming* calls come through (my experience with that was 85% on calls whereas 1x in my area is 98-99%). This was before a VZW tech suggested to use 1x for my calls and use only the 4G for data (simply turning off HD voice on an Android phone settings) 2-3 years ago. I need the better incoming phone call reliability for an over 80 year old relative with health issues. You can find your phone's dba signal strength on an Android phone, for my LG, Google Settings, Network & Internet, Mobile Networks, Network type and strength where listings for 4G and 1X (if you have a Samsung or another brand, the exact path to get to this may be a little different).

Solutions maybe for you, yet question for myself:

* For those that prefer flip phones, VZW does sell 4G flip phones.

* VZW 4G LTE network extender for weak signals - https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...extender-faqs/ Within this link, link to accessories Samsung Network Extender 2 at $250 which is not compatible with all 4G LTE phones. Also with the extender, you cannot whitelist which mobile #s use (not good in an apartment building like where I live in with fair amount of foot traffic 10 feet outside my window), plus need good GPS signal (can use Google App GPS Status to give a good idea, app though well rated 4.7, not well documented), also extender will stop working if cable or power goes out. Extender does not need Wifi, just a broadband connection meeting minimum speeds and a good GPS signal. More info in the FAQ link above. May be good for you if good perimeter around your home.

* Signal booster such as one by https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-home-4g which VZW 2nd level tech support mentioned to me, but it requires an outdoor roof antenna which is not going to happen with my apartment building landlord. This is manual for it https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/18867...e4G-470101.pdf . This is their cheapest one at $400, which may work if you can put up a roof antenna on your house or townhouse.

* Wifi calling to improve signal, activating on a Google Android phone with HD voice setting mentioned above, plus need a Wifi router. I do not have a Wifi router and instead have a wired router for security reasons in my apartment building, though expect most of my neighbors are good, I do not know them all well enough.

* Change cell phone carrier for better 4G coverage. T-Mobile signal is non existent in my neighborhood, heavy tree cover in a valley, as Uber/Lyft driver once picking me up with T-Mobile got lost finding me as lost her signal. Currently have had a Boost Mobile backup prepaid phone for years, with as weak as signal as Verizon, which Sprint is preparing to retire their old network, which phone is on and got email from them last month that after April 30 it may no longer work. ATT Wireless may have a better GSM/4G signal in my neighborhood from a previous quick check over a year ago, but I need to confirm further by reactivating an old prepaid backup phone have with them. If went this route, there is always the fun of porting numbers.

* Move home to a better signal 4G LTE coverage area.

Solutions I could see Verizon Wireless doing, since they now have an open ticket from me with the 2nd level tech I spoke with, it is # 6004902938.

* Improve the network extender to accept all 4G LTE phones. If go to this link, https://www.verizonwireless.com/prod...sku=sku2490003, the compatibility list is not fully right. For my LG G7 ThinQ phone bought five months ago, the second 2nd level tech spoke with had the exact same phone as myself and was submitting an update for that because it does work with his phone. Also add whitelisting of phones on the extender by the consumer. The last tech I spoke with said they could do it on they on their server end, but that means, every time I have a guest, I would have to call them to add that Verizon Wireless mobile number.

* Improve the 4G cell tower reception. Even with 10 months to go, not holding high hopes they could improve, awaiting government approvals, etc. even if can find a suitable place to place a tower in largely residential area. I am in a area with over 500 apartments in valley with tree cover. Also 5G may help, but that may be some months or more than a year away depending on the USA Metro area you live in.

Any other solutions for myself? If you are personally affected as a Verizon Wireless customer by this and not have a good solution from above, Verizon Wireless tech support 1-800-922-0204 can add to the ticket number above opened on the residential side. The more they hear from customers to be affected in any way adversely, the more likely additional action from their end that can be taken.
I learned about this last Summer (IIRC), and I learned about it directly from Verizon (I misplaced my LG for about a week, and tried to activate an even older phone).

I have a $2 per day only on the days you use it plan (grandfathered in) that Verizon no longer offers (but AT&T has a similar plan) that is 1x/CDMA only, currently using an LG Extravert 2. I've had this plan for over 10 years.

When I learned of this, I planned out what I would do:

1. When my renewal came up in early December of 2018, pay for another year ($100 adds 365 days of service. I did that, and it put my balance to draw from at just under $355)

2. In October or so of 2019 I'll buy (off of eBay or Craigslist) an LG V20 (which has HD voice) and, in early December of 2019 I'll convert my plan to Verizon's cheapest prepaid monthly plan.

3. I'll keep that plan until the balance is just above zero (Verizon already told me that my current credit balance (that decreases with use/time) can be moved to another Verizon plan....as long as it 'stays within the same realm' (is another prepaid plan)).

4. At that point (end of #3), I'll port that number to an AT&T $2 per day plan (I already have that plan with AT&T on a different number that is based in another state).

I've liked having both of what 'started' as GSM and CDMA, the differing technologies, over the last decade plus.

Sometimes one has given me a signal when the other one doesn't .

Old 03-08-2019, 06:29 AM

197 posts, read 75,138 times
Quote:
VZW 4G LTE network extender for weak signals - https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...extender-faqs/ Within this link, link to accessories Samsung Network Extender 2 at $250 which is not compatible with all 4G LTE phones. Also with the extender, you cannot whitelist which mobile #s use (not good in an apartment building like where I live in with fair amount of foot traffic 10 feet outside my window), plus need good GPS signal (can use Google App GPS Status to give a good idea, app though well rated 4.7, not well documented), also extender will stop working if cable or power goes out. Extender does not need Wifi, just a broadband connection meeting minimum speeds and a good GPS signal. More info in the FAQ link above. May be good for you if good perimeter around your home.

As a VZW customer, if you need whitelisting on the router, others have expressed this concern on VZW community forums and Amazon reviews, and you have tried calling tech support at 1-800-922-0204 and exhausted their standard resources for your situation including opening an NRB ticket to perhaps improve your local cell tower coverage, then contacting the VP of Verizon Wireless office https://www.verizon.com/about/our-co...contact/870973 you can also express your concern. Until 5G is rolled out across the USA with expected enhanced security, which may be a couple or a few years for some areas, 4G LTE is here to stay. The more they hear from adversely affected customers, after trying VZW technical support options, the more likely they will get this issue prioritized sooner than later, hopefully before the year end CDMA shutdown for some of us.

Last edited by sprklcl; 03-08-2019 at 07:49 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 10:24 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
The Verizon edict must-switch-to-a-HDvoice-phone by the end of the year is going to affect more people than just us who use CDMA flippies. My Dad's smartphone does not support HDvoice. I also read that some iPhones older than 6 will become useless because they aren't HDvoice capable.

This is very hard for most of you to understand, but there are many more people than you realize who prefer to use a phone as a phone and a computer as a computer and not have a combined device which smartphones are. The little flippie I have carried forever, and fits nicely in a side pocket of my pocketbook which a smartphone will not, has fulfilled the it's-just-a-phone job. I have no desire to check my email nor look at Facebook nor google anything when I am away from my computer. I am not a complete dinosaur - I do have an iPad (typing on it right now because I am on my patio).

Warning: I am about to offend many ... I find it extremely sad to see 80% of the people I encounter everywhere with their noses in their phone no matter where they are or with whom they might be.

Yes, Verizon sells a 4g LTE HDvoice flip phone. I will research it to make sure apps or whathaveyou can be turned off so that it can be just a phone. I don't want to be bothered by anything other than a phone call or text.

But my biggest concern is cost. Verizon customers who must buy new phones, like me (CDMA flippie) and my husband (iPhone 5) and my sister (CDMA flippie) and my father (older android) will have that upcoming expense (doesn't matter if it's an outright purchase or a monthly payment, it's still a new budget item). The cost of HDvoice? Unknown. Verizon says HDvoice will be included in whatever plan, but it is obvious that "plans" will be changing.

My sister and father are on an inexpensive limited data plan because neither uses data, just cell. We have an unlimited data plan (and we pay through the nose) because we occasionally use a jetpack, but speed and connection drop significantly once we exceed 15GB. With VoLTE, Verizon is very confusing about what will be charged against data usage and what won't. Purportedly phone calls will not, but video calls will. If one Skypes or Facetimes with a phone, he/she better make sure it's through wifi and not VoLTE.

What kind of data plan changes will Verizon (and the carriers who are also transitioning to VoLTE) be making? A variety of data cap plans? If someone exceeds the cap will a simple phone call suffer a speed slow down or if someone exceeds the cap will he/she be charged an overage fee? This is of course presuming that VoLTE/HDvoice calls will be charged against data usage ... perhaps not at first, but eventually it will - we all know that will happen.

There is definitely a big plus for carrying around a portable phone. But if this "plus" begins to eat away at a wallet's contents, then in December many of us will have big decisions to make.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:54 AM

HD Voice audio calls on Verizon uses very little data at all. I talk around 2000 minutes a month, lot of long winded conversations with elderly relative nearly, and use less than 1 MB in the phone's Voice application, that's 1/1000 of 1 GB. Video calls for others who do is another matter, 5-6 MB per minute, so 150-200 minutes uses 1GB. The new 4G HD Voice flip phones do use a minimum amount of data for software updates, so budget up to 250MB (1/4 of 1GB) for that.

As far as cheaper, I switched this past week to Charity Mobile https://www.charitymobile.com, a Verizon Wireless MVNO reseller (update from above, Verizon did improve my neighborhood coverage to 2 bars) . As a new customer, Charity gives you up to $100 off a new phone, they sells three different flip phones, and free activation and shipping. I had to replace an older relative's old 3G phone. Like on the Exalt, Charity $75 vs. Verizon direct $144 + $35 activation fee for same. Charity's plans are cheaper too for many. Though they are faith based, great and quick customer service like Chick-fil-a, they know their tech stuff, patient, kind, helpful, no sales pressure. Porting two phone numbers and including my BYOD LG smartphone took around 45 minutes from the time the port request was submitted. Should note, their max data plan for smartphones is 15GB, no unlimited, data speed while 4G are capped at 5-6 mbps (sufficient unless not doing video and large downloads on Wifi). They also have an estimated data calculator on their website. Also read my Charity Mobile post in thread Anyone try Spectrum (TWC) Mobile? for more details including of any other limitations, that may or may not affect you. Like Charity did on my older relative's line, they can block text messaging and restrict data on a line, so a flip phone can be used only as a phone for incoming and outgoing calls.

I am too concerned this is going to be a mess for many year-end 12/31/2019 having to replace their flip phones and older non-HD smartphones. The communication has been poor, and I just happened upon it on a tech news blog earlier this year, though Verizon posted it deep down last July 2018 https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ . Many Verizon stores will already be busy with Christmas or holiday shoppers, and expect will run out of inventory of some flip phones at last minute. Leave it to the major media news TV outlets to tell us late in December. Hope Verizon Wireless will at minimum put an insert in customers' bills, but some customers will miss or ignore. Best advice if budget allows, to buy by September-October, as already did for my older relative and another older neighbor with Verizon flip phones in last two months. Hope Verizon will get the communication out to 98-99 % of customers, but some will be missed come January, they only turn their CDMA phones on only in an emergency, say stranded in a winter storm on the road, and find they do not work. That will not be good press coverage for Verizon. Years ago a derecho storm knocked out the 911 system in my large and quite populated suburban county, because Verizon failed to have the back up generator tested and properly working, which the local media had a hey day.

Personally, with poor parking at some busy suburban places such as at the local hospital, I would stuck with a flip phone. But taxi service is poor out here, and Lyft and Uber is best used with a smartphone. Given GPS issues with some ride share drivers for pickups https://www.gps.gov/support/user/map...ices-and-maps/ , a phone in operator service alternative for Lyft/Uber such as GoGoGrandparent or GreatCall/Jitterbug flip phone does not always work well.

Last edited by sprklcl; 05-12-2019 at 08:01 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 06:33 PM

8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Quote:
HD Voice audio calls on Verizon uses very little data at all. I talk around 2000 minutes a month, lot of long winded conversations with elderly relative nearly, and use less than 1 MB in the phone's Voice application, that's 1/1000 of 1 GB. Video calls for others who do is another matter, 5-6 MB per minute, so 150-200 minutes uses 1GB. The new 4G HD Voice flip phones do use a minimum amount of data for software updates, so budget up to 250MB (1/4 of 1GB) for that.

As far as cheaper, I switched this past week to Charity Mobile https://www.charitymobile.com, a Verizon Wireless MVNO reseller (update from above, Verizon did improve my neighborhood coverage to 2 bars) . As a new customer, Charity gives you up to $100 off a new phone, they sells three different flip phones, and free activation and shipping. I had to replace an older relative's old 3G phone. Like on the Exalt, Charity $75 vs. Verizon direct $144 + $35 activation fee for same. Charity's plans are cheaper too for many. Though they are faith based, great and quick customer service like Chick-fil-a, they know their tech stuff, patient, kind, helpful, no sales pressure. Porting two phone numbers and including my BYOD LG smartphone took around 45 minutes from the time the port request was submitted. Should note, their max data plan for smartphones is 15GB, no unlimited, data speed while 4G are capped at 5-6 mbps (sufficient unless not doing video and large downloads on Wifi). They also have an estimated data calculator on their website. Also read my Charity Mobile post in thread Anyone try Spectrum (TWC) Mobile? for more details including of any other limitations, that may or may not affect you. Like Charity did on my older relative's line, they can block text messaging and restrict data on a line, so a flip phone can be used only as a phone for incoming and outgoing calls.

I am too concerned this is going to be a mess for many year-end 12/31/2019 having to replace their flip phones and older non-HD smartphones. The communication has been poor, and I just happened upon it on a tech news blog earlier this year, though Verizon posted it deep down last July 2018 https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ . Many Verizon stores will already be busy with Christmas or holiday shoppers, and expect will run out of inventory of some flip phones at last minute. Leave it to the major media news TV outlets to tell us late in December. Hope Verizon Wireless will at minimum put an insert in customers' bills, but some customers will miss or ignore. Best advice if budget allows, to buy by September-October, as already did for my older relative and another older neighbor with Verizon flip phones in last two months. Hope Verizon will get the communication out to 98-99 % of customers, but some will be missed come January, they only turn their CDMA phones on only in an emergency, say stranded in a winter storm on the road, and find they do not work. That will not be good press coverage for Verizon. Years ago a derecho storm knocked out the 911 system in my large and quite populated suburban county, because Verizon failed to have the back up generator tested and properly working, which the local media had a hey day.

Personally, with poor parking at some busy suburban places such as at the local hospital, I would stuck with a flip phone. But taxi service is poor out here, and Lyft and Uber is best used with a smartphone. Given GPS issues with some ride share drivers for pickups https://www.gps.gov/support/user/map...ices-and-maps/ , a phone in operator service alternative for Lyft/Uber such as GoGoGrandparent or GreatCall/Jitterbug flip phone does not always work well.
$144 for a single line with Verizon ? We have a Verizon two line plan, unlimited plus data for $90. So where did you get that a single line with Verizon is $144?

Old 05-12-2019, 10:17 PM

$144 is the Exalt phone device price, not the line price.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:47 PM

As mentioned above and to summarize and emphasize of those points with additional updates below, Verizon Wireless flip phones *or* even some older smartphones ***will no longer work*** by around or soon after December 31, 2019 (a few exceptions below). This includes phones from any VZW resellers too, Google serarch Verizon MVNO which includes at least the bigger ones. And some older CDMA cell sites are starting to be slowly phased out already (see details below).

Use this website https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php to check nearly all cell phones, including older discontinued ones. In my experience, works for 98%+ phones out there, which only one or two phones over the years where the phone model was not found in the website database. On this web page/URL:

- First click the Show All Options link near the top.
- Then select Verizon Wireless as Carrier and select option of Required.
- If known, your phone's Manufacturer i.e. Apple/iPhone, LG, Samsung, etc. and select option of Required.
- and toward the bottom of the web page, find HD Voice and select option of Required.
- You may need to select additional filters, depending on your phone's manufacturer and type, to limit the search results to 20 or less which is the maximum that can be displayed.

* No Action needed, EXCEPT checking your Phone settings which more info at https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ seeing Related Topics section HD Voice - If your phone model IS listed in your phonescoop search results with the filters above, then it does NOT need to be replaced before year end. Be sure to compare your phone with the pictures and specs on the website, as there are times more than one phone with the same or similar name i.e. LG Exalt, which the newer one does not need to be replaced, but the other older ones will.

* Action needed - If your phone model is NOT listed, then it WILL need to be replaced by 12/31/2019 (note below).

If you are not sure who your phone manufacturer is and what model it is, check for labels around and in the phone including underneath the battery cover if it can be opened, or any user manual or documentation on paper or online, or records from your purchase or getting the phone. If you still need help or want to double confirm before purchasing a new or replacement VZW 4G LTE phone with HD Voice, post here in this forum, check with a good techy friend, visit your local Verizon Wireless store, call or chat online with Verizon Wireless if you are a customer, or check with whichever store or place including online you purchased or received your phone from.

This is very serious, and I have *ZERO* interest in marketing, advertising, or selling you or someone you know a new phone for profit (I do not work for Verizon nor any of its resellers nor know anyone personally, selling VZW or any other cellular carrier phones to consumers and customers like you and me). If your or a loved one's older phone does not work to make a call, your or their LIFE CAN BE AT RISK, which thinking ahead, get caught and stranded in a January or February 2020 snow storm on the road, even locally. You may be able to make a 911 call then with your older phone then, but no guarantee of that.

So what is this all about, Verizon Wireless is phasing out the older 2G/3G CDMA network now through around year end, keeping 4G(eneration) LTE, and starting to build a 5G network for even faster internet, particularly for smartphones. The only areas having the older CDMA towers for up to a couple of more years are those serving large corporate and government office parks and buildings, and 1st responders (fire, rescue, etc.) may not be affected in some localities with older technology.

Official notices:
1. https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/
Verizon Wireless is retiring its CDMA (2G/3G) network at the end of 2019. As a result, we are no longer allowing activation of CDMA-only devices, including CDMA-only basic phones and smartphones, or 4G LTE smartphones that do NOT support HD Voice service. More info if you open the link.

2. And one of Verizon's smaller resellers prominently posted this is the support section of their website last week - https://www.charitymobile.com/support.html CUSTOMERS PLEASE READ: Is my phone's network being decommissioned? which clicking opens this https://www.charitymobile.com/suppor...missioned.html , which explains it *very well*, and paraphrasing what they say, read link for full information.
'The Verizon Wireless network used by older 2G/3G CDMA and 4G/LTE phones with no support for HD Voice technology is gradually being decommissioned in 2019. Once this network has been fully decommissioned, these older phones will no longer function properly. If you have already upgraded to a 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support, you do not need to do anything else (except check your phone settings in verizonwireless.com link above). However, if you are still using an older CDMA or 4G/LTE phone with no HD Voice support, you will need to upgrade to a new 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support before the end of 2019. For the Verizon Wireless phones ever sold by us 2G/3G and 4G/LTE phones with no support for HD Voice can be found checking the link above. If you are still using one of these phones, you will need to upgrade to a new 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support before the end of 2019.'
My note, the weblink under 2. above is NOT an exhaustive list of all Verizon Wireless phones out there, use the phonescoop.com link/URL above to check.

Reading above and 1st hand experience, Verizon Wireless is already phasing out the older network, so if your phone is using the older CDMA network, all of your incoming phone calls may not ring through, as they are already moving radio channels from the older CDMA network to the newer 4G LTE network.

* If you are a Verizon Wireless postpaid customer directly receiving a monthly bill in the mail, hopefully they will put a highlighted note prominently somewhere on the bill by October-November, but some people will ignore reading the note in their bill.

* Or for others, putting a notice on the My Verizon website and smarpthone app portals, or sending text messages or emails out (Boost Mobile did that very well recently on a backup phone I had with them).

* Other customers will be missed, when the Verizon notice above came out online last July, 2018, I was away as others on vacation (did not see notice online until earlier this year when alerted to it in a tech news blog), and year end 2019 likewise people out of town for the holidays spending time with others and not keeping up to date on tech news. And the prepaid users who not shared their contact details, those who seldom power their phones on except in an emergency, and those with all of the Verizon resellers, how will they all be notified? (Charity Mobile though above already took the lead on that). Good luck, waiting for Fox News, MSNBC, local TV news networks putting much priority airtime on this during the holidays, and foreseeing then the last week of December comes, they say 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling' and some Verizon Wireless stores already low on inventory on some phones from Christmas or holiday shoppers will not be able to take care of all of its customers needing replacement phones at the last minute.

P.S. If you or someone know has an older phone with AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc., they will need to be replaced sometime between 2020 and 2022 is the schedule https://www.multitech.com/documents/...rriers_PDF.pdf

Last edited by sprklcl; 05-23-2019 at 11:24 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 11:49 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,201,267 times
Great, useful post! I'm planning on replacing my 3G Verizon phone within the next few days as I don't want to be caught in the throngs of people replacing theirs at the end of the year. Mine is misbehaving anyway so it seems as though the best plan is to just do it and get it over with. Thanks for keeping this topic out there.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:47 AM

To clarify my 1st sentence above

As mentioned above and to summarize and emphasize of those points with additional updates below, *OLDER* Verizon Wireless flip phones *or* even some older smartphones ***will no longer work*** by around or soon after December 31, 2019 (a few exceptions below).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones