U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2019, 05:50 AM
 
13,437 posts, read 3,669,291 times
Reputation: 4629

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
As mentioned above and to summarize and emphasize of those points with additional updates below, Verizon Wireless flip phones *or* even some older smartphones ***will no longer work*** by around or soon after December 31, 2019 (a few exceptions below). This includes phones from any VZW resellers too, Google serarch Verizon MVNO which includes at least the bigger ones. And some older CDMA cell sites are starting to be slowly phased out already (see details below).

Use this website https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php to check nearly all cell phones, including older discontinued ones. In my experience, works for 98%+ phones out there, which only one or two phones over the years where the phone model was not found in the website database. On this web page/URL:

- First click the Show All Options link near the top.
- Then select Verizon Wireless as Carrier and select option of Required.
- If known, your phone's Manufacturer i.e. Apple/iPhone, LG, Samsung, etc. and select option of Required.
- and toward the bottom of the web page, find HD Voice and select option of Required.
- You may need to select additional filters, depending on your phone's manufacturer and type, to limit the search results to 20 or less which is the maximum that can be displayed.

* No Action needed, EXCEPT checking your Phone settings which more info at https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ seeing Related Topics section HD Voice - If your phone model IS listed in your phonescoop search results with the filters above, then it does NOT need to be replaced before year end. Be sure to compare your phone with the pictures and specs on the website, as there are times more than one phone with the same or similar name i.e. LG Exalt, which the newer one does not need to be replaced, but the other older ones will.

* Action needed - If your phone model is NOT listed, then it WILL need to be replaced by 12/31/2019 (note below).

If you are not sure who your phone manufacturer is and what model it is, check for labels around and in the phone including underneath the battery cover if it can be opened, or any user manual or documentation on paper or online, or records from your purchase or getting the phone. If you still need help or want to double confirm before purchasing a new or replacement VZW 4G LTE phone with HD Voice, post here in this forum, check with a good techy friend, visit your local Verizon Wireless store, call or chat online with Verizon Wireless if you are a customer, or check with whichever store or place including online you purchased or received your phone from.

This is very serious, and I have *ZERO* interest in marketing, advertising, or selling you or someone you know a new phone for profit (I do not work for Verizon nor any of its resellers nor know anyone personally, selling VZW or any other cellular carrier phones to consumers and customers like you and me). If your or a loved one's older phone does not work to make a call, your or their LIFE CAN BE AT RISK, which thinking ahead, get caught and stranded in a January or February 2020 snow storm on the road, even locally. You may be able to make a 911 call then with your older phone then, but no guarantee of that.

So what is this all about, Verizon Wireless is phasing out the older 2G/3G CDMA network now through around year end, keeping 4G(eneration) LTE, and starting to build a 5G network for even faster internet, particularly for smartphones. The only areas having the older CDMA towers for up to a couple of more years are those serving large corporate and government office parks and buildings, and 1st responders (fire, rescue, etc.) may not be affected in some localities with older technology.

Official notices:
1. https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/
Verizon Wireless is retiring its CDMA (2G/3G) network at the end of 2019. As a result, we are no longer allowing activation of CDMA-only devices, including CDMA-only basic phones and smartphones, or 4G LTE smartphones that do NOT support HD Voice service. More info if you open the link.

2. And one of Verizon's smaller resellers prominently posted this is the support section of their website last week - https://www.charitymobile.com/support.html CUSTOMERS PLEASE READ: Is my phone's network being decommissioned? which clicking opens this https://www.charitymobile.com/suppor...missioned.html , which explains it *very well*, and paraphrasing what they say, read link for full information.
'The Verizon Wireless network used by older 2G/3G CDMA and 4G/LTE phones with no support for HD Voice technology is gradually being decommissioned in 2019. Once this network has been fully decommissioned, these older phones will no longer function properly. If you have already upgraded to a 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support, you do not need to do anything else (except check your phone settings in verizonwireless.com link above). However, if you are still using an older CDMA or 4G/LTE phone with no HD Voice support, you will need to upgrade to a new 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support before the end of 2019. For the Verizon Wireless phones ever sold by us 2G/3G and 4G/LTE phones with no support for HD Voice can be found checking the link above. If you are still using one of these phones, you will need to upgrade to a new 4G/LTE phone with HD Voice support before the end of 2019.'
My note, the weblink under 2. above is NOT an exhaustive list of all Verizon Wireless phones out there, use the phonescoop.com link/URL above to check.

Reading above and 1st hand experience, Verizon Wireless is already phasing out the older network, so if your phone is using the older CDMA network, all of your incoming phone calls may not ring through, as they are already moving radio channels from the older CDMA network to the newer 4G LTE network.

* If you are a Verizon Wireless postpaid customer directly receiving a monthly bill in the mail, hopefully they will put a highlighted note prominently somewhere on the bill by October-November, but some people will ignore reading the note in their bill.

* Or for others, putting a notice on the My Verizon website and smarpthone app portals, or sending text messages or emails out (Boost Mobile did that very well recently on a backup phone I had with them).

* Other customers will be missed, when the Verizon notice above came out online last July, 2018, I was away as others on vacation (did not see notice online until earlier this year when alerted to it in a tech news blog), and year end 2019 likewise people out of town for the holidays spending time with others and not keeping up to date on tech news. And the prepaid users who not shared their contact details, those who seldom power their phones on except in an emergency, and those with all of the Verizon resellers, how will they all be notified? (Charity Mobile though above already took the lead on that). Good luck, waiting for Fox News, MSNBC, local TV news networks putting much priority airtime on this during the holidays, and foreseeing then the last week of December comes, they say 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling' and some Verizon Wireless stores already low on inventory on some phones from Christmas or holiday shoppers will not be able to take care of all of its customers needing replacement phones at the last minute.

P.S. If you or someone know has an older phone with AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc., they will need to be replaced sometime between 2020 and 2022 is the schedule https://www.multitech.com/documents/...rriers_PDF.pdf
And the not allowing activation of 3G phones came soon after that. I misplaced my 3G Verizon LG Extravert 2 for a couple of weeks not long after July of 2018. At one point I gave up trying to find the Extravert 2 and tried to activate the LG Cosmos 3 that I was using before that, but Verizon wouldn't let me because of that new policy. Fortunately I later found the Extravert 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Amelia View
4,243 posts, read 12,766,272 times
Reputation: 3796
sprklcl ... great info ... thanks!

I think I can confirm that some CDMA locations have already been decommissioned. My sister in MA and I chat every afternoon during her commute home (don't worry, she has hands-free :-). We both have flippies, both with Verizon. We never had any dropped calls. But in the past month or so two dead spots have shown up. In one spot the call drops completely, and in another she can hear me, but I can't hear her. My location never changes - I am always at home. So, the loss of call has to be on her end. I deduce that the problem is CDMA, but there could be other issues. A good experiment would be if my sister used her daughter's fancy newer smartphone to see if the same dead spot drops the call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 09:16 AM
 
1,379 posts, read 1,202,190 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
sprklcl ... great info ... thanks!

I think I can confirm that some CDMA locations have already been decommissioned. My sister in MA and I chat every afternoon during her commute home (don't worry, she has hands-free :-). We both have flippies, both with Verizon. We never had any dropped calls. But in the past month or so two dead spots have shown up. In one spot the call drops completely, and in another she can hear me, but I can't hear her. My location never changes - I am always at home. So, the loss of call has to be on her end. I deduce that the problem is CDMA, but there could be other issues. A good experiment would be if my sister used her daughter's fancy newer smartphone to see if the same dead spot drops the call.
You might be on to something. I'm not having the dropped call problem but when speaking with a friend, she in her house and I in my house, on our flip phones, the voice quality was so garbled that I couldn't understand her. She could understand me. We've done this for years with never a problem until now. She's about twenty miles away from me. It must be on my end because she's already upgraded hers. I called a friend in the other direction and the voice quality was crystal clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,533 posts, read 20,520,186 times
Reputation: 24386
I'm really confused. I have a TracFone LG Rebel 3 Lte is CDMA but it does have HD Voice and uses the Verizon network and 4G connectivity.
Somebody said TracFone issued them a warning that their phone would need to be replaced. I signed into my account and didn't get one, which I know may mean exactly nothing.
Do you think I'll need to get a new phone? (assuming this one is still working and has escaped the 'baths' my last two didn't appreciate)
I did check the link given but it gave no option for the Rebel 3, just the Rebel 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Inactive
197 posts, read 75,254 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm really confused. I have a TracFone LG Rebel 3 Lte is CDMA but it does have HD Voice and uses the Verizon network and 4G connectivity.
Somebody said TracFone issued them a warning that their phone would need to be replaced. I signed into my account and didn't get one, which I know may mean exactly nothing.
Do you think I'll need to get a new phone? (assuming this one is still working and has escaped the 'baths' my last two didn't appreciate)
I did check the link given but it gave no option for the Rebel 3, just the Rebel 4.



According to https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=5360 , that phone is dual band, meaning it has CDMA and also 4G LTE with HD Voice, like my LG G7. First confirm your Tracfone LG Rebel 3 LTE matches picture wise and spec wise with what is in the phonescoop link, and if so, you are good. With the Rebel 3, make sure HD Voice is turned on, checking your user manual or online or post here again asking how to do.

One caveat, as Verizon Wireless is moving radio channels from CDMA to 4G LTE over the next months, you may find CDMA works better now, but then 4G LTE works better in two or three months depending on the cell towers in your area. My experience, VZW CDMA worked better in my neighborhood in February, but now 4G LTE with HD Voice works better for calls both incoming or outgoing as well as data. However, if you only have one signal bar on 4G LTE (around 110 to 125 dBM) or with close to zero at 125 to 140 dBm, that will be challenging with both calls and data sharing the same 4G signal (you will end missing some incoming calls was my earlier in the year experience). CDMA while its yet available on your local towers on a dual band phone, it uses CDMA for calls, but 4G LTE for data.


P.S. If you already know your phone manufacture and model, you can simply type it in the search box on the left side of the page https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/finder.php , which when the search result come up, if in your phone's specs further down that page HD Voice is listed with Yes, then your phone does not need to be replaced. I provided further step by step instructions before assuming many people do not always know the manufacturer and model of their phones.

Last edited by sprklcl; 05-24-2019 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Florida
20,533 posts, read 20,520,186 times
Reputation: 24386
Thank you sprklcl !! Very informative...and even understandable
I do have the HD Voice turned off now since I didn't know what it was and it didn't seem to matter. Even with only two bars (kinda frequent) I have no trouble with calls but will remember what you said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Inactive
197 posts, read 75,254 times
Reputation: 112
Updated in the last week, Verizon has pushed back the date of the total CDMA shut down date from 12/31/2019 to 12/31/2020 per https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ (see text of URL below), with the exception of cell sites serving some enterprise users until 2021. That being said, expect a continued degradation of the old CDMA network until it is fully retired, that is fewer channels dedicated to 2G/3G/CDMA calls as these channels are repurposed to 4G LTE (it has already happened in my neck of the woods). Likely reasons behind the date change: 1) giving folks behind the technology curve who less often use their phones more time to upgrade their phones, as not good publicity if even a few of these users get caught in a winter storm emergency unaware their phone does not work. So thinking is better to do the older network shut down gradually as it goes to say cellular service is not 100% guaranteed and as service degrades an encouragement to upgrade phones. 2) As likely hundreds of thousands if not a couple or a few million have phones that will no longer work (exact number disputed), it becomes a store supply issue (local or online) to replace all of those older phones doing that in the remaining months of 2019, 3) Verizon loses revenue from customers switching carriers from bad service or from a short supply of replacement phones.



CDMA Network Retirement

As we complete our network transition to 4G and 5G, we at Verizon would like to keep you up to date with some important activities.
We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, which offers superior coverage and performance compared to previous generation networks. Starting January 1, 2020, Verizon will no longer allow any CDMA (3G and 4G Non-HD Voice) 'Like-for-Like' device changes.
Additional changes include but are not limited to:
  • Starting 1/1/2020:
    • No Longer Allowed:
      • Transfer of Service, moving from one account to another account
      • Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), providing a CDMA device to activate on an existing line
      • Swapping one CDMA device for another CDMA device
      • Roaming outside of the US
    • Still Allowed
      • Suspend / Resume
      • Number change
      • Upgrades to compatible 4G or 5G devices
      • Activating new lines of 4G or 5G devices
  • Starting 1/1/2021
    • We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, the Verizon CDMA Network will remain available as-is until December 31, 2020. Any service requests related to CDMA devices will receive limited support and be encouraged to upgrade to newer technology.
  • Impacted Devices:
    • 3G-only devices, including 3G basic phones and 3G smartphones
    • 4G LTE smartphones that do not support HD Voice (ex: Apple® iPhone® 5s or prior)
    • Connected devices with CDMA (e.g., GizmoPal, GizmoPal2, GizmoGadget and some Hum + models)
    • Proprietary Customer Built 3G Equipment

Sign in to My Verizon to check your upgrade eligibility and get the latest and greatest devices on the market. Enterprise customers can visit My Business to explore options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Amelia View
4,243 posts, read 12,766,272 times
Reputation: 3796
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Updated in the last week, Verizon has pushed back the date of the total CDMA shut down date from 12/31/2019 to 12/31/2020 per https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ (see text of URL below), with the exception of cell sites serving some enterprise users until 2021. That being said, expect a continued degradation of the old CDMA network until it is fully retired, that is fewer channels dedicated to 2G/3G/CDMA calls as these channels are repurposed to 4G LTE (it has already happened in my neck of the woods). Likely reasons behind the date change: 1) giving folks behind the technology curve who less often use their phones more time to upgrade their phones, as not good publicity if even a few of these users get caught in a winter storm emergency unaware their phone does not work. So thinking is better to do the older network shut down gradually as it goes to say cellular service is not 100% guaranteed and as service degrades an encouragement to upgrade phones. 2) As likely hundreds of thousands if not a couple or a few million have phones that will no longer work (exact number disputed), it becomes a store supply issue (local or online) to replace all of those older phones doing that in the remaining months of 2019, 3) Verizon loses revenue from customers switching carriers from bad service or from a short supply of replacement phones.



CDMA Network Retirement

As we complete our network transition to 4G and 5G, we at Verizon would like to keep you up to date with some important activities.
We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, which offers superior coverage and performance compared to previous generation networks. Starting January 1, 2020, Verizon will no longer allow any CDMA (3G and 4G Non-HD Voice) 'Like-for-Like' device changes.
Additional changes include but are not limited to:
  • Starting 1/1/2020:
    • No Longer Allowed:
      • Transfer of Service, moving from one account to another account
      • Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), providing a CDMA device to activate on an existing line
      • Swapping one CDMA device for another CDMA device
      • Roaming outside of the US
    • Still Allowed
      • Suspend / Resume
      • Number change
      • Upgrades to compatible 4G or 5G devices
      • Activating new lines of 4G or 5G devices
  • Starting 1/1/2021
    • We are moving all devices to our HD Voice LTE network, the Verizon CDMA Network will remain available as-is until December 31, 2020. Any service requests related to CDMA devices will receive limited support and be encouraged to upgrade to newer technology.
  • Impacted Devices:
    • 3G-only devices, including 3G basic phones and 3G smartphones
    • 4G LTE smartphones that do not support HD Voice (ex: Apple® iPhone® 5s or prior)
    • Connected devices with CDMA (e.g., GizmoPal, GizmoPal2, GizmoGadget and some Hum + models)
    • Proprietary Customer Built 3G Equipment

Sign in to My Verizon to check your upgrade eligibility and get the latest and greatest devices on the market. Enterprise customers can visit My Business to explore options.
Appreciate your sharing of this. I am one affected by the retirement of CDMA as are my sister and perhaps my father (she has a flippie and he has a smartphone that may or may not be HDvoice compatible). As of yet none of us has received any kind of letter or notice from Verizon to say our phones will not work. That is disgraceful and arrogant for Verizon to believe simple word of mouth will give us, or anyone with CDMA phones, the heads up that our phones will become paperweights.

Maybe Verizon has smartened up to realize they truly are obligated to reach out to customers, and when basic phone owners understand and start trying to buy upgrade phones in droves, they better have the inventory. At present I can only say that my local Verizon store does not. If someone wants to stay with a basic phone, there are two brand choices - LG and Kyocera. My store had one LG in stock and it was defective. My choice was to drive to some other stores or just get a lesser-respected Kyocera. I'm not certain about their inventory of smartphones, but my choice to stay with a basic was price-driven. I was less nauseous to spend $150 or less on a flip phone than the multi-hundreds for a smartphone.

Disgusted customers may choose to leave Verizon. I actually started looking elsewhere and may leave after many many years of faithfulness to Verizon. But for now I didn't have much choice because of time constraints and the need for a phone with texting ability. My original flippie couldn't text nor receive them, and Verizon wouldn't take the time to figure out why since it was a CDMA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2019, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,676 posts, read 9,452,941 times
Reputation: 13850
Well personally, I welcome the phaseout of 2g and 3g along with the upgrade of those towers to 4g or 5g. ATT plans to do the same in 2021. All 2g is good for is talk and texting.iPhone and better android models that go back five years are fine. Flip phone owners can upgrade by the end of the year, if needed. Go to the VZ website if your local store doesn’t have the model you want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 05:54 AM
 
13,437 posts, read 3,669,291 times
Reputation: 4629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well personally, I welcome the phaseout of 2g and 3g along with the upgrade of those towers to 4g or 5g. ATT plans to do the same in 2021. All 2g is good for is talk and texting.iPhone and better android models that go back five years are fine. Flip phone owners can upgrade by the end of the year, if needed. Go to the VZ website if your local store doesn’t have the model you want
No. Now we have until the end of next year, which is why the other poster posted to bump the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top