U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 04:13 PM

9,801 posts, read 18,754,643 times

Advertisements

My smartphone was having issues & I was unable to do anything with it so I used my neighbors smart phone to call phone company (assurance wireless/virgin mobile/sprint). To make a long story short somehow her phone was hacked & she lost over 500 photos & all contacts, etc. She is irate with me & I don't know how it happened. Assurance is sending me my 3rd replacement phone in 6 months & I am under a 1 yr warranty. Assurance wireless wants me to return the defective phone but I am afraid they might be able to access all photos, contacts & email addresses. I saved everything on phone so I wouldn't have to sign back in. Ill remove the sim card but what else can I do so they cant pull up my photos, info, etc ? I did send back the first phone & now my pictures on my main gmail address are gone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 08:22 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
This is confusing.
What kind of phone first of all?

Old 03-06-2019, 03:02 PM

I checked with a guy who knows all about smart phones, etc & no one can get a virus or their phone hacked just through a phone call. I never opened a email or used the internet on my neighbors phone. I don't know what happened but she is still pissed & talking smack about me. I have known her almost 20 yrs (8/99) & now I am like the plague to her. I just wish I knew what happened that all her pictures, security app & contacts were wiped clean. I don't know what her phone is but mine is AVS. I got it through assurance wireless.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:53 PM

7,961 posts, read 9,029,458 times
I take it your neighbor didn't have her data backed up. If she's been hacked then there are probably some things she should do so it doesn't happen again. She should talk to and make a visit to her local cell phone provider. Perhaps they can run a scan on her phone and figure out what's going on.

While she's pissed off and blaming you, that doesn't really solve her problem or give her (or you) any info about what actually happened and why it happened. It seems dumb to ruin a friendship of 20 yrs over something like this, but people can be really weird and easily triggered.

As for your own ill phone, take out the SIM card, in addition take out any SD card if you are using one. Keep the SIM and SD card so you can put them in your next phone. Copy any pictures, documents or anything you want to keep to your computer from your phone (look at your user guide or do a google search on your model phone). Once you've got whatever you want copied/backed-up to your computer and are ready to send the phone back, do a factory reset on the cell phone. Again, look it up in the user guide or do a google search for your particular phone model. Factory reset will wipe the phone clean.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:15 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,617,954 times
Still don't know what kind of phone it is. You DON'T get a virus on a phone from a phone call, let me just tell you that. Viruses for phones are not as common as for PC's. Install an AV app and scan the phone, I'd be willing to bet it's clean. The SIM card on most smartphones is not used to store photos or contacts. That only applies to flip phones or similar older phones.

If it's an Android phone which I suspect, things just don't go away all by themselves unless you do a factory reset or actually go and manually delete the photos. If you had it logged in to a google account, backup and sync is usually turned on by default and everything is on the cloud. From the sounds of it though, I doubt this is the case. Go on a PC and log into the same google account to see if anything was backed up to the cloud. In addition, install an app like ES file explorer and search for the files in question. For photos you want to search for jpg files. There may be other apps that can help you recover or find what you lost. Better yet, take it to someone that is more knowledgeable, I'm sure there are techs in your area.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:13 PM

19,129 posts, read 19,978,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I checked with a guy who knows all about smart phones, etc & no one can get a virus or their phone hacked just through a phone call. I never opened a email or used the internet on my neighbors phone. I don't know what happened but she is still pissed & talking smack about me. I have known her almost 20 yrs (8/99) & now I am like the plague to her. I just wish I knew what happened that all her pictures, security app & contacts were wiped clean. I don't know what her phone is but mine is AVS. I got it through assurance wireless.
Steel, try the AVS forum for your phone.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/60-news-forum/

Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM

197 posts, read 75,254 times
There are apps, Google and iPhone, that will scan for viruses and malware. Some are free, but others pay for at the Google Play store or the Apple Store online. I have tried several over the last few years, some are better than others (overall rating out of 5 is good place to start). Typically the free ones have ads.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:56 PM

The free phone cleaner apps are good but too many ads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones