U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 05:11 AM

197 posts, read 75,254 times

Advertisements

At least a couple ideas here https://www.politico.com/agenda/stor...ulation-000531 . Though targeted to the aging, available to anyone 18 or over without a smartphone.
1. A Jitterbug phone where a https://www.greatcall.com/ operator requests the ride. Unsure how well this works, perhaps others who have ever used the service can chime in.
2. https://gogograndparent.com/, but they charge an additional 27 cents a minute on top of normal Uber and Lyft rates, and Yelp reviews are mixed.
With both though, you have the greater availability of Uber and Lyft vehicles.

The huge problem with both yet not mentioned in the article is the problem with GPS for pickups, which seen with my smartphone with a few ride requests recently. The vast majority of my ride requests work well for pickups, but below are notable exceptions.
1. Requested ride from small business with one entrance, Uber app without me telling it confirms the name of business where am at, driver upon coming is waiting at other end of large shopping center parking lot, texted driver then (issue resolved).
2. Medical building with multiple entrances with Lyft, put in name of doctor's office from Google Maps Lyft uses, also texted driver immediately after ride request giving description where entrance is at, he ends up around the corner of the building which walked to and waved him around as was with someone with a cane.
3. Another medical building, two entrances only 60 feet apart, but separated by an elevator as building on hillside, so close affecting GPS accuracy, texted Uber driver right after requested ride, he ends up at the other entrance, talked with him on the phone upon arriving to come to the other entrance (his English is limited and not understand), take slow moving elderly relative with walker to elevator to other entrance, Uber charges wait fee which got waived.
* This is also to say that if at a busy location where multiple Uber or Lyft vehicles arrive, you are going to need to know the last couple digits of the car's license plate and also helpful to know the driver's name as he/she knows yours to confirm you are getting in the right car. With Uber and Lyft cars, I have seen, most will have the stickers on the right rear passenger side windows, but others have on the top of the right side of the windshield or none at all. Remember unlike taxis, almost all Lyft and Uber drivers are driving their own personal vehicles.

Imagine handling GPS pickup issues or at a busy location without a smartphone, which is why we are not yet ready for driverless cars, at least for some situations. There are nine different GPS systems in the USA https://www.gps.gov/support/user/map...ices-and-maps/ all with their errors. Here I have submitted Google Map updates with my Android for locations I frequent which takes them a few weeks to update, but then it depends on which GPS system the driver uses, as I met drivers using iPhone or Tom Tom which you need those devices to make GPS map corrections. Personally so far if I request a ride for someone else I know riding alone without a smartphone, I am there when the driver arrives as done twice in the last six months, and I track the driver on my phone until arrive at the destination, both with Lyft successful, rare if any issue, but always concerned for your loved one's well being.

So for the original poster, unless ideas others suggested in this thread work better, is see if at location where at, say at the car repair shop, see if someone there has a smartphone who can request the ride and pay them for it before leaving. Both the Uber and Lyft apps will tell you exactly how much you will be charged for the ride when you request, with only other changes if you tip the driver (most appreciate), or you make a change to your destination while enroute.

Also **question for the original poster**, are you in an urban, suburban, or large town where Uber and Lyft vehicles are usually available within 5-10-15 minutes (respectively)? If in a small town or a very rural area (say your home), though Uber and Lyft according to their website maps say may they service those areas, reality is drivers in those less populated areas do not get many ride requests so you may be waiting a half hour or more for a ride, and the driver may call you before pickup as may not be worth their time and gas to drive 30 minutes to get you for a few minute trip, as they do not get paid for miles/minutes prior to pickup, only those while you are in their vehicle. I know living 20 miles out from a major city (get rides within 10 minutes), but met a few Lyft and Uber drivers on those rides who live 30 miles further out on the interstate or major highway who come into the city and closer in suburbs to get more ride requests.

As a side note, I prefer Lyft over Uber when available (most times Lyft is where at). Lyft drivers, unless a good driving track record with their Uber riders before, Lyft interviews their drivers in person in their office or by another one of their Lyft drivers, whereas Uber does the driver screening process by the Internet. Not to say all Uber drivers are bad, many are great, but the exception have a problem with any Lyft driver, as the in person interviews help eliminate problem drivers before they are accepted with Lyft. The US military in a trial for now, accepted Lyft over Uber at Fort Meade and another military base in California. I have had more problems with Uber drivers (too reliant on GPS with errors, very limited English, small percentage), because those with problems, can better hide those problems with the electronic only screening Uber does. And which do you choose, which in my area as in many, Lyft and Uber rates are the same, unless short surge in demand increasing rates, which occurs more often with Uber than with Lyft, as Uber still has a bigger business than Lyft which is growing fast, and Uber is still more well known than Lyft.

Last edited by sprklcl; 03-10-2019 at 06:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or