U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 03:04 AM

2,616 posts, read 7,919,568 times

Advertisements

I am stunned at the low monthly fees for prepaid cell service here in Germany, especially compared to the something similar in the US. I have Vodafone and pay 10 Euro per month (about $11.50 USD) for 200 minutes talk and text anywhere in the 27 European Union lands plus 2 GB data. The data speed is also good, faster than most in the US. I am not a heavy cell phone user. Mostly use for maps, whatsapp, news, weather, check email, translation dictionary app, etc. I almost never view youtube or video on the cell phone. If I was a heavier phone and data user, they have an unlimited talk-text plan plus 4 GB data for about $25 USD.

In the US, I was paying $40 monthly from T-Mobile for prepaid unlimited talk & text plus 10 GB data. Many US carriers don't want to offer low volume data users a cheap plan anymore. I tried Simple Mobile prepaid for $25 per month, but their phone quality was bad. Some people would dial my number, but the calls were often not connected to me and they got dead air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 07:34 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,255,149 times
at&t. Cheapest place to get a cell phone if you're broke. Especially if you're on Cricket. Their coverage is pretty good as well. Took them a while to do Wi-Fi calling across the board though (prepaid and post paid) but they finally have it.

My only issue with at&t is that they restrict backup and sync of text messages on their servers to post paid customers.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 AM

4,677 posts, read 8,881,337 times
Had Verizon for over a decade and switched to T Mobile a year ago and like it better than Verizon. Coverage on T Mobile is great and the pricing and benefits are much better than Verizon.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:57 AM

12,413 posts, read 18,370,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
It is a lot. Old plan pricing. I don’t understand why some people don’t go with the current Verizon plans that are way less expensive, but just stay with some plan the’ve had for the last five years. I also don’t understand why people post and never return to a thread to read what is said. We pay $90 a month for two lines with VZ that meets our needs

They don’t offer a 16 gb plan any more, but have an unlimited plan with four lines for $160 a month
They do offer 16 g since we have it. Signed up 2 weeks ago for it. We're used to have 8. Unlimited is more expensive for us. But maybe we do later.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:00 AM

197 posts, read 75,138 times
Often, not always, when you switch plans with Verizon Wireless, you lose something important. For example, at one time had a B2B affinity discount with Verizon, if I switched to a certain set of plans with VZW, I would lose that discount. For others, the old plan had some feature, but the new one does not, perhaps calling to a certain country, paying more for texting if little used, etc. For some it is the time challenge of switching plans. If not done right or at the right time of the month, you end up with a proration billing mess, with possible data usage overbilling, say if switched in the 1st few or last few days of your billing cycle, and billing fall out for a couple of months, plus possibly reset voice mail and other features. Sometimes can forward or back data the change, but that depends on VZW's current policy and the rep, some more helpful and knowledgeable than others on the phone (possibly more time wasted), and whether can do at MyVerizon online can be hit or miss (all offers not always there). For a $5-10 difference, some people say not worth the time hassle. If difference is $15-20 or more, something worth considering, but must be planned out with other life happenings, or you can get penalized in billing if not done right.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:57 AM

4,257 posts, read 3,438,277 times
Not sure there is a straight answer, much like "what is the best insurance rate you got?" Answer: "it depends," pretty obviously, on where you are and your specific needs.

I had Verizon for years, they did and do have great coverage most parts of the US. Probably the best coverage! I topped out at a hundred twenty bucks/month maybe six years ago, for unlimited data and call time. I've never been a data hog until recently, so it worked okay. I tired of paying that much, but it was convenient for-sure.

In 2016 I switched to Google Fi. Read the terms carefully of whomever you choose. Here in Seattle metro the T-Mobile networks seem fine, I've not been disconnected while moving...mostly on the freeways. If there is a 'zone," I'm in it. Suddenly, bill down to $45/month. Almost $2,900 savings, January 2016-19. Whoa!

Fi was a bargain for me until recently, with about 2.5gb data used/month. Now due to circumstances, I've busted over 6GB past few months, meaning a $90/month bill all-in. They've never throttled me, and my usage is related to streaming music and Waze on my commute I do suspect, but I can't say that the new rate I'm paying is terribly much better than Verizon counting corporate discounts, promos, etc.

When there is open WiFi nearby, or a Xfinity hotspot, I'm in business as the phone clicks onto that and it's off to the races with no or low data usage. I'm also a Comcast user so can use all those national XFinity hot spots included with my cable.

I'll stick with Fi, they serve me well, but won't knock any other plan at this point. YMMV, it's obviously a very specific decision vs. your needs. Fi also restricts the phones you can use, somewhat, though I've tremendously enjoyed my Pixel XL (still going!) and will upgrade it to a Pixel 4 when the come out c. October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones