U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:41 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,641,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You will definitely not miss what you never had.

I missed it for about the first 3 hours then I got used to it and now I could never go back to a button.

Instead of a home button you have gestures (swipe up from the bottom on any screen to go home). You also have face scanning instead of fingerprint. It's not as fast, but it's close. I much prefer having the larger screen in the same size device and no home button taking up space.

Thanks.

I've been fighting with Android, and the orphaned Essential phone, for a while and I am about to toss in my chips and go Apple.

Anytime I get at an Apple computer, a few times a year, it seems like a foreign land.
So I am wondering about learning curve.

Wondering if I should get a cheaper older model and fool with it before going large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Thanks.

I've been fighting with Android, and the orphaned Essential phone, for a while and I am about to toss in my chips and go Apple.

Anytime I get at an Apple computer, a few times a year, it seems like a foreign land.
So I am wondering about learning curve.

Wondering if I should get a cheaper older model and fool with it before going large.
I think for computers, the learning curve to a Mac is somewhat steep because we've all been using windows for so long.

With smart phones, going from Android to iOS is a much easier transition. It's much more simplified and intuitive than Android. Android is customizations and options galore. iOS is what it is, what Apple gives you. It's good and bad depending what you want.

Apple gives you a 14 day no questions asked return period so you can try it out for 2 weeks and return it for a full refund if you don't like it (if you are in the USA that is). Maybe watch a few "iOS for beginners" videos on YouTube. I think you would transition just fine. Just remember, neither OS is perfect, but they both have positives and negatives.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:14 AM

25,181 posts, read 18,675,659 times
I would not get a X. I don't want to say it would be obsolete faster than an XR/XS, but that extra year in the product line may mean it won't get an iOS update a year or two sooner.

I would look into the XR. Cheaper than XS models and newer/faster than the X. If you're looking for value, the 8+ is still perfectly fine.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:21 AM

4,833 posts, read 3,291,798 times
no

I'm waiting for wireless charging

My phone is fine

Old 03-15-2019, 07:42 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Couldn't get rid of my Essential fast enough either. I know MANY people had a great experience with it but mine was just not great. I have since gone to the OnePlus 6T and it is hands down the best phone I've ever had. Everything the Essential should have been.

Recommend the 6T MikeJ. You will nto regret it. And it's only $550 for the base model.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM

7,160 posts, read 3,912,101 times
I missed the button moving from my 7 Plus to an X for around a day. 90% of the time it's better, the only 10% is when I'm doing something that has the phone not in sight pointing at my face. Like in the car cup holder.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I'm waiting for wireless charging
My iPhone Xr has wireless charging.

I've had it for a couple of months now. It's terrific.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
My iPhone Xr has wireless charging.

I've had it for a couple of months now. It's terrific.
So does the X.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I missed the button moving from my 7 Plus to an X for around a day. 90% of the time it's better, the only 10% is when I'm doing something that has the phone not in sight pointing at my face. Like in the car cup holder.

You don't use Apple Pay, do you?

Old 03-15-2019, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't use Apple Pay, do you?
Occasionally, but I use that with a PIN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or