U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:02 AM

441 posts, read 253,153 times

Advertisements

I've had my ipx from the first release and still love it! I would choose this one over the newer ones. So I say yes go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:31 AM

4,758 posts, read 12,574,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My 6s refurb is a PITA. It's got limited memory and I'm needing space on my phone more and more. Apps are becoming more and more useful to me and indeed necessary (there's one I absolutely must have to access my company's HR stuff).

Basically, I do EVERYTHING on my phone anymore. News (Apple News), books (kindle books), facebook, weather, restaurant and shopping reviews, podcasts, etc. Also, there's a lot of apps I'm looking to add to a phone - fitbit, banking app, a dog surveillance app (so I can see if my pups are getting into trouble when I'm not there), a doorbell app (see who's at the door when I'm away), Lyft, etc.

My phone is not fitting anything on it now, so I'm thinking of an upgrade. If I can find space in my budget, would an iPhone X be worth the extra bucks? Or is there a less over-the-top phone I can go with? And yes, I'd like to stick with an iPhone.
I'm rowing the same boat; X or 8 plus - wasn't impressed with the XR up close & personal. When going out on the iPhone $ train, I don't feel the money spent becomes relevant as with respect to the economics of purchase relativity - it's only a few bucks between 799-999 with the no interest two year plans on my carrier/Verizon. I'm not switching carriers, not concerned with a two year commitment to Verizon ~ my concern is with the processor speed & the whole outdated thing. My 5S is approaching the 5 year mark in May. I understand that there's not much difference between the X & 8 and those of us with 5's & 6's are going to be blow away by either phone.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:29 AM

13,820 posts, read 14,063,988 times
Thank you all for these insights. I have another month or so to decide, and I will take this all into account!

Old 03-16-2019, 03:48 PM

7,156 posts, read 3,912,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I'm rowing the same boat; X or 8 plus - wasn't impressed with the XR up close & personal. When going out on the iPhone $ train, I don't feel the money spent becomes relevant as with respect to the economics of purchase relativity - it's only a few bucks between 799-999 with the no interest two year plans on my carrier/Verizon. I'm not switching carriers, not concerned with a two year commitment to Verizon ~ my concern is with the processor speed & the whole outdated thing. My 5S is approaching the 5 year mark in May. I understand that there's not much difference between the X & 8 and those of us with 5's & 6's are going to be blow away by either phone.
The XR and X are pretty much similar except for the OLED screen in the X. The 8 Plus is physically larger but again has a LCD display like the XR. The advantage of the X is the smaller form factor. It's also lighter than the 8 Plus and slimmer, yet has a higher resolution and larger screen (but is still heavier and wider than the 5S.)

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/compare-m...-iPhone-8-Plus

You're right that anything will seem blisteringly fast compared to the 5S.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:39 PM

13,820 posts, read 14,063,988 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think that will be the case. I just don't want to deal with the storage issue again or have to face the quirks of my aging 6s for a while in whatever phone I go with.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:25 PM

Can some one please expand on the OLED.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
It's basically a prettier LED with deeper blacks.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 PM

7,156 posts, read 3,912,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It's basically a prettier LED with deeper blacks.
And brighter. And thinner as no backlight is needed. But you risk burn in.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And brighter. And thinner as no backlight is needed. But you risk burn in.
How do you avoid the burn in?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times
Quote:
How do you avoid the burn in?
It's not a huge issue with phones in 2019. The manufacturers have implemented things in software to prvent burn in like moving around things by a pixel or 2 on a timed schedule so burn in doesn't happen. Just try not to leave the same screen on with the same picture, etc for an extended period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or