U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 06:22 PM

13,820 posts, read 14,061,417 times

Advertisements

My 6s refurb is a PITA. It's got limited memory and I'm needing space on my phone more and more. Apps are becoming more and more useful to me and indeed necessary (there's one I absolutely must have to access my company's HR stuff).

Basically, I do EVERYTHING on my phone anymore. News (Apple News), books (kindle books), facebook, weather, restaurant and shopping reviews, podcasts, etc. Also, there's a lot of apps I'm looking to add to a phone - fitbit, banking app, a dog surveillance app (so I can see if my pups are getting into trouble when I'm not there), a doorbell app (see who's at the door when I'm away), Lyft, etc.

My phone is not fitting anything on it now, so I'm thinking of an upgrade. If I can find space in my budget, would an iPhone X be worth the extra bucks? Or is there a less over-the-top phone I can go with? And yes, I'd like to stick with an iPhone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 06:24 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,031,897 times
no.

Old 03-12-2019, 10:49 PM

8,676 posts, read 9,452,941 times
Yes, consider the iphone 7 and 8 are a hugh jump up from the 6s yet if you want a meaningful upgrade without spending a ton of money. The X is also a big jump from the 6s but not so much from a 7 or an 8. I’m sticking with my 7. The X is better than my 7, but not enough better to make me want to upgrade to an X. Consider a 7 or an 8. A big jump up from the 6s. $100s less than a X

Last edited by Mr5150; 03-12-2019 at 11:06 PM..

Old 03-13-2019, 08:54 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,901,950 times
If you trade in your 6s to Apple you can get the new iPhone XR for $550. It's a great phone and much cheaper (and a year newer) than the X. It will do everything you want and then some.

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphon...---iphone+xr-e

Old 03-13-2019, 09:39 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
I'd recommend the 8. You'll miss the button.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:18 PM

16,724 posts, read 29,318,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My 6s refurb is a PITA. It's got limited memory and I'm needing space on my phone more and more. Apps are becoming more and more useful to me and indeed necessary (there's one I absolutely must have to access my company's HR stuff).

Basically, I do EVERYTHING on my phone anymore. News (Apple News), books (kindle books), facebook, weather, restaurant and shopping reviews, podcasts, etc. Also, there's a lot of apps I'm looking to add to a phone - fitbit, banking app, a dog surveillance app (so I can see if my pups are getting into trouble when I'm not there), a doorbell app (see who's at the door when I'm away), Lyft, etc.

My phone is not fitting anything on it now, so I'm thinking of an upgrade. If I can find space in my budget, would an iPhone X be worth the extra bucks? Or is there a less over-the-top phone I can go with? And yes, I'd like to stick with an iPhone.
All depends on what you want. For example, Apple is having an iPhone sale at the moment, and they would offer $200.00 for your iPhone 6s as long as it is in good condition, so you can trade it for an iPhone XR and pay around $549.00. Here is goes:
https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

I will probably trade-in my 6s for a XR, but I don't really like the Bluetooth earbud. If I go ahead and trade it, I don't plan to ever use the earbud since I don't want a Bluetooth receiver stuck in my ear and next to my brain. Just this week there was a scientific report where 250 scientist got together to explain that there is a definite link to brain tumors and cancer from Bluetooth earbuds (all manufacturers, not just Apple).

Old 03-14-2019, 07:47 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Wife traded her 7 for an XR...got the $250...wishes she would have gotten the 8. Hates that the button is gone. You've been warned for the last time.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:56 AM

34,313 posts, read 59,633,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I'd recommend the 8. You'll miss the button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Wife traded her 7 for an XR...got the $250...wishes she would have gotten the 8. Hates that the button is gone. You've been warned for the last time.
IF I have never used an iPhone, and am tempted by the XR for the screen size....

Will I miss the button?

Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,901,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
IF I have never used an iPhone, and am tempted by the XR for the screen size....

Will I miss the button?
You will definitely not miss what you never had.

I missed it for about the first 3 hours then I got used to it and now I could never go back to a button.

Instead of a home button you have gestures (swipe up from the bottom on any screen to go home). You also have face scanning instead of fingerprint. It's not as fast, but it's close. I much prefer having the larger screen in the same size device and no home button taking up space.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM

2,500 posts, read 3,090,674 times
I've had my X since they were released. I typically fall into the timeline of upgrades to be on the latest model so I tend to make the switch. I had a 6 prior and was completely satisfied with it, the 7 and 8 when they came out other than a camera and some other small features did not seem like a big enough change for me to make the switch.

The X with faceID, no home button, bigger screen, much faster processing, and a 256G option was the selling point. Little did I know 6 months after purchasing that Portrait mode was so spectacular, especially with the kids and wanting good pictures for cards and the like. I'm happy I opted for the X, the Xr is also a good buy I consider it the X-lite to the X.

So it's been with me for a year and a half or so and I'm still very happy with the switch. Will I move to another X or similar variant come year end, probably not unless they start to offer free air pods (something Samsung does on the S10, shots fired), or some other major change comes in a new version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or