U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 05:01 PM

5,564 posts, read 3,843,974 times

Advertisements

I receive at least one call per day on my landline. Caller id says its a local call with the name “async” and every call is from a different local number. I reported it to the FCC just see how you do it. Its fairly time consuming.
This is the reply from the FCC.

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Hi Txxxx

“Thank you for your complaint about unwanted calls. It has been assigned Ticket No. 3118558.

The FCC is committed to doing what we can to protect you from these unwelcome interruptions to your day. Unwanted calls, including illegal and spoofed robocalls, are the largest category of complaints the FCC receives.

In addition, complaints from consumers whose numbers are being spoofed or whose calls are being mistakenly blocked or labeled as possible spam calls by a call blocking app or service are on the rise.

We know these situations can be annoying, deceptive and disruptive. Thus, we welcome your help by filing your complaint and sharing details about your experience.

You may file additional complaints at any time. The information you provide allows us to spot trends and practices warranting investigation and enforcement actions.

While the FCC may not be able to stop every unwanted call or instance of caller ID spoofing, we are working with industry and consumer groups to develop polices and encourage technical solutions to address the problem.

Here are some tips on how to prevent unwanted calls and address caller ID spoofing, including instances where your number is being spoofed or your calls are being mistakenly blocked or labeled: www.fcc.gov/robocalls

These tips, which may also be helpful to your family and friends, include a “Call Blocking Resources” link for provider–specific advice on preventing unwanted calls.

We value your contribution to our continued work to combat unwanted calls, with the goal of restoring your peace of mind when you receive a call.

Thank you for your continued support and assistance.”
So its not really worth the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 05:08 PM

39,906 posts, read 57,726,659 times
You reported that number and that was good. It goes on the list of spammers. There are millions of spam calls. I think the FCC is working on it. In any case it's better to report than not, because nothing can be ever done if people don't report it.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:26 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,544,082 times
My number is listed at donotcall.gov It worked for many years but in the last year or so, I've been getting 2 or 3 calls a day. I think they are calling because they've discovered that there's no down side to doing it.
I don't answer unless I recognize the calling number.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 PM

34,313 posts, read 59,633,146 times
"In addition, complaints from consumers whose numbers are being spoofed or whose calls are being mistakenly blocked or labeled as possible spam calls by a call blocking app or service are on the rise."

Yes. Spoofing local numbers.
And, most of these are robocalls from outside the USA.
The FCC can't really do much about it.

I get:
Calls from scammers pretending to be Google, wanting to raise me up in search rankings. Several times a day.
Calls from the IRS, telling me they have a warrant for my arrest.
Calls from Cardholder services, wanting to lower my cc interest rates.
Health insurance scam calls.
Calls from US Home Improvement.
All of them are scams.
It is endless, and I pretty much have to answer the phone, or I will lose business.

Last week I got a call from another local real estate agent, returning "my call." Not really. His caller ID caught my number, but I never called him. Spoofed by a criminal.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:38 AM

4 posts, read 1,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I receive at least one call per day on my landline. Caller id says its a local call with the name “async” and every call is from a different local number. I reported it to the FCC just see how you do it. Its fairly time consuming.
This is the reply from the FCC.

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Hi Txxxx

“Thank you for your complaint about unwanted calls. It has been assigned Ticket No. 3118558.

The FCC is committed to doing what we can to protect you from these unwelcome interruptions to your day. Unwanted calls, including illegal and spoofed robocalls, are the largest category of complaints the FCC receives.

In addition, complaints from consumers whose numbers are being spoofed or whose calls are being mistakenly blocked or labeled as possible spam calls by a call blocking app or service are on the rise.

We know these situations can be annoying, deceptive and disruptive. Thus, we welcome your help by filing your complaint and sharing details about your experience.

You may file additional complaints at any time. The information you provide allows us to spot trends and practices warranting investigation and enforcement actions.

While the FCC may not be able to stop every unwanted call or instance of caller ID spoofing, we are working with industry and consumer groups to develop polices and encourage technical solutions to address the problem.

Here are some tips on how to prevent unwanted calls and address caller ID spoofing, including instances where your number is being spoofed or your calls are being mistakenly blocked or labeled: www.fcc.gov/robocalls

These tips, which may also be helpful to your family and friends, include a “Call Blocking Resources” link for provider–specific advice on preventing unwanted calls.

We value your contribution to our continued work to combat unwanted calls, with the goal of restoring your peace of mind when you receive a call.

Thank you for your continued support and assistance.”
So its not really worth the effort.
I get at least 3 calls each and every single day from local numbers. Never pick up the phone, though. I know that most of those calls are coming from scammers or telemarketers.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:26 AM

15,239 posts, read 20,185,903 times
I'm also listed with donotcall.gov and still get anywhere from 3 to 10 calls per day. They're spoofed to look like they come from local numbers except that they have a "1" in front of the numbers so I know they're not local. I used to report them too but I've come to realize it does no good.

And it does no good to block the numbers because most of them call only once. I do block the numbers that call frequently.

The current calls are about my supposed college loan payments. (I went to college 50+ years ago.) On particularly irritating days, when I get a dozen or more calls, I'm tempted to get a new phone number -- but I've had this landline for 39 years and am not about to let some blankety-blank spammers make me change it. And the spammers probably use a robocaller program to call every phone number in sequence anyway.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:01 AM

1,085 posts, read 830,479 times
It's a real problem. Just being able to block all calls from outside the USA would be a big help.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,172,330 times
I used to get those types of calls a lot, along with collection agencies trying to reach a woman who must have lived at this address before I moved in. It got worse and worse as time went on. Even the collection agencies wouldn't stop calling even though I told them that woman didn't live here.

Finally I took the chance on Ooma Telo. The telephone device which uses VOIP was about $100 and the monthly fees at the time were $3.79/month for 5000 minutes. Was worried it would be as bad as MagicJack, but it was night and day different, Ooma having even better sound quality than my AT&T U-verse phone service. The taxes and fees since I bought this several years ago has gone up to a whopping $4.55/month but the device still works terrific. The spam calls stopped since I didn't transport my old number over, and fortunately I've only had one telemarketing type of call since I bought Ooma. An insurance company that I hang up on because they haven't honored my request to stop calling, Come to think of it, haven't received a call from them for a few months (finally).

Not saying anyone getting spam calls should get Ooma, obviously that isn't necessary, but getting a new phone number might be in order.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:19 PM

11,614 posts, read 20,770,772 times
No idea why this is in the internet thread but I get, sometimes, half a dozen+ spoofed calls on my landline (cell too - "they" just randomly call up numbers, don't answer.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 PM

2,991 posts, read 1,036,619 times
They have gotten so bold that they use the "do not call" registry to get a list of people to call.

Sadly, the telecom companies could kill off this problem if they wanted to, but I think it is one of their revenue streams, so they are reluctant to stop something that makes them money.

I know a guy who has a system that will track down the call centers and shut them down for a few hours (he uses a bank of Skype lines to automatically call them), but that is only a temporary solution. If the phone companies don't get behind solving the problem, it will never go away.

My personal solution is: if you are not on my list of people allowed to call me, you have to either text my cell number or send me an email, or I won't answer.

For those who are in business, here is a thought:
get a number with a long distance area code, and ignore all the calls from that area code.

I did that with my cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones