U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 05:33 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,724,592 times

Advertisements

This is my set-up, which works pretty well. It requires that you have a Google Voice number, though.

I set my phone to block all calls except my GV number (which is set to forward to my cell phone number).

Most of the spam calls do not leave a voicemail, but if they do, I then choose "mark as spam" in GV.

While I do end up with a few voicemails from spammers, at least my phone does not ring from any of the calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:31 PM

1,264 posts, read 782,323 times
I've been getting calls from numbers in Mexico. They all start with +52 and then the area code and 4 digit number. Immediately after I block them, I get a call from either "unknown" or "restricted." I am not Mexican, don't speak spanish, and will probably never go to Mexico. VERY ANNOYING! Funny thing, one time they did leave a voicemail and they said "hello" instead of "hola."

Old 03-19-2019, 09:32 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Here's one thing that some people just do not realize and some refuse to believe me: you gave your number to someone.

Cue at least half of you insisting you did not. It happens every time I make this argument.
You gave your number to someone and they sold you down the river. You entered a contest, or you bought something and included your number.

How do I know this? I have 2 phones numbers. I have never recieved a spam call to my Los Angeles number. I have never given that number to anyone other then my wife and 2 best friends. Period. I've had that number for 4 years: not one spam call.
My Cleveland phone number gets them all the time. I've lost track of how many places I gave that out.

So changing your number will, in fact, stop this.
It's easy enough to test when Google will give you a free real phone number that you can even use on your cellphone.
https://voice.google.com

John Oliver's show was this very topic this past Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO0iG_P0P6M

Old 03-19-2019, 11:36 AM

1,241 posts, read 681,537 times
Exactly. I *rarely* give my real phone numbers, and certainly not to stores or businesses. Most times I just say "I don't give it out". But sometimes you "must" give something, so I got a free Google voice number. I set it to "Do Not Disturb" which means it won't ring my phone but callers can leave a voice mail. I then get an email notification and I can listen to the message. Even if this number is sold to marketers I won't hear the phone ringing, plus GV seems to have good built-in spam call filtering.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:48 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
Pretty good way to use it Noodlecat.
Noodlecat knows where it's at.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:06 AM

1,241 posts, read 681,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Pretty good way to use it Noodlecat.
Noodlecat knows where it's at.
Can you tell how much I hate telemarketing calls?

Old 03-22-2019, 08:50 AM

7,957 posts, read 9,026,785 times
I've been using Google Voice for nearly a decade. Actually I started using it before Google owned it (it was GrandCentral back then). That's the only number I give out. I learned a trick several years ago where you only allow people in your contact list to be able to get through with the phone ringing. Anyone else goes to VM or nowhere if they've been blocked. So, when my phone rings (cell or landline) it's someone who's allowed to call me because they are in my google contact list.

Spam calls come in but I don't see them unless I go to Google Voice app. Anyone else will leave a VM and then I'll add them to my contact list if it's someone I expect to be in touch with more than once.

NoMoRobo does not work with Google Voice (I checked). Not an integrated service.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:54 AM

243 posts, read 125,369 times
If your phone service allows simultaneous ringing of multiple numbers on incoming calls, one number to include is (347) 514-7296, Lenny the chatbot---it is hilarious.

Obviously a no-no for business phone users, but for others a good way to waste the time of callers who are inconsiderate enough to call in the first place.

Here's a sample of Lenny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi9fJDLrq0I

Old 03-25-2019, 07:34 PM

441 posts, read 253,060 times
downloaded verizon call filter today. They allowed me to have it for free for the next 30 days and around the 20th I need to call and request this to be free for my account. I hope this actually helps. They told me they are working on an algarythm that screens spam calls to be from real people and not computer generated.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:43 PM

681 posts, read 881,531 times
"On the Trail of the Robocall King"

https://www.wired.com/story/on-the-t...robocall-king/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or