U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-20-2019, 10:48 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,454 posts, read 43,301,321 times
Reputation: 44120

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
"Social stigma" with a flip-phone? Really?
Metro DC resident. Having the newest, most expensive, smart phone is a marker of sophistication and social status here. So is owning a Lexus/BMW/Tesla and 400 pairs of sneakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2019, 11:00 AM
 
7,961 posts, read 9,029,458 times
Reputation: 10806
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Metro DC resident. Having the newest, most expensive, smart phone is a marker of sophistication and social status here. So is owning a Lexus/BMW/Tesla and 400 pairs of sneakers.
That's hilarious and terribly sad; I saw that myself when I lived in the SF Bay Area. Having one's identity and worth tied to the purchase of <whatever> is nonsensical and yet so many sheeple aspire to it. It reeks of an empty core where self-worth can only be buoyed through external things that depreciate the moment you get them. The irony in that is, well, ironic.

I can buy a top of the line iPhone or Android phone if I want, but I never will. It's not worth it to me. I won't even spend half of that on a new smartphone, and the good news is there are so many good choices I don't have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 11:40 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,374 posts, read 11,281,537 times
Reputation: 4210
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreadedskyhook View Post
I came to the smartphone game rather late. I didn't have one until 2012 or so. Unfortunately, the smart phone thing is not working for me. Despite constant attempts to stop this, my phone sends news feeds that are political in nature and designed to stoke my fear, anger, and resentment. The Internet in general also provokes me by sending me unsolicited salacious and suggestive images which I don't want in my life. I also look around and see what the smartphone has done to humanity and realize I don't want to be a part of this anymore.

The thought of going to a flip phone is depressing, because then I won't have access to the weather app and all of the good audio mp3 files I've downloaded to the smartphone to listen to for encouragement. Really the only way I would keep the smartphone is if I could severely restrict it, but I feel even this isn't practical because I'm so obsessed with my smartphone that I find myself on my couch staring at the home screen for hours when I should be doing other things, like practicing Hebrew, doing pushups or really anything useful. I probably check my Gmail by swiping down my finger about 300 times a day. I have something screaming in my gut, saying this is not how people were meant to live. Technology has become our master.

A final reason for me would be the fact that I am often more rude and aggressive through the keyboard than I am in person. I want to handle more of my communication with friends and family through actual phone conversations rather than texts, because texts are so easily misconstrued and because it's easier to be uncouth through text and email than it is looking a person in the face.

Do I have any options that don't involve a worthless flip phone? I don't mind the social stigma that might come with being seen with a flip phone. After all, it's my life being destroyed, not theirs.
"I didn't have one until 2012 or so."
That is 7 years ago and you still do not know how to control that doohicky or yourself?

Do you have a car?
How fast can it go?
How fast do you normally drive?
Why not faster?
Your speedometer says you can go way faster!

"constant attempts to stop this,"
What have you been doing? All this time since you say "constant"?

Go back to your phone provider, and have them set up your phone the way "you" want it to work for you!

It really sounds like the phone is NOT the problem, while the real problem is your behaviour.
YOU can control things, whether you believe it or not!

Aw, you know what, go back to a flip phone. Problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Reputation: 13850
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
That's hilarious and terribly sad; I saw that myself when I lived in the SF Bay Area. Having one's identity and worth tied to the purchase of <whatever> is nonsensical and yet so many sheeple aspire to it. It reeks of an empty core where self-worth can only be buoyed through external things that depreciate the moment you get them. The irony in that is, well, ironic.

I can buy a top of the line iPhone or Android phone if I want, but I never will. It's not worth it to me. I won't even spend half of that on a new smartphone, and the good news is there are so many good choices I don't have to.
I’m with you. When I had to replace my 6s late last year I did my homework and realized the 7 was a big jump up over the 6s and the X was not that much better over the 7 In terms of performance. So I got the 7 for $450 instead of the X for $1000. Happy I am! Mostly because the 7 works so well and takes top end photos. And it was nice to not spend the extra $550 for the X
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 01:02 PM
 
6,094 posts, read 2,771,054 times
Reputation: 17336
Don't these things have an ON/OFF switch? Seems like an easy solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,536 posts, read 2,410,020 times
Reputation: 8162
Maybe you just need a different phone, or take your current one somewhere to have them shut off /block all the automated garbage. All phones are not the same, so this is more the particulars of your phone and/or its settings rather than a universal problem.

The same thing can happen with computers. Some people get pop-ups on theirs, others never encounter them. And yet we don't throw out smartphones and computers because of the issue. We go directly to the solution.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 03-20-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 05:30 PM
 
2,619 posts, read 1,357,347 times
Reputation: 10902
You can control what you see on your smart phone. Methinks you're looking for things that offend you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2019, 05:49 PM
 
7,961 posts, read 9,029,458 times
Reputation: 10806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I got the 7 for $450 instead of the X for $1000. Happy I am! Mostly because the 7 works so well and takes top end photos. And it was nice to not spend the extra $550 for the X
I'm not into the iOS platform, though I do love the MacOS platform (go figure). I exclusively use Android and I try to keep my phones as long as the battery will reasonably last and hold a charge longer than a few hours and the OS can still run the apps I need.

I'm spending well under $250 on my next new phone, to replace my existing 3.5 yr old phone. I have other things I'd rather use that $750 not spent on a high end phone to do (like travel).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Reputation: 8068
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm spending well under $250 on my next new phone, to replace my existing 3.5 yr old phone. I have other things I'd rather use that $750 not spent on a high end phone to do (like travel).
And then there are those of us that can afford $550 phones (or $1,500 phones) and still afford to travel. It's not either or for some people. Just saying. And having a good phone that's quick and reliable with insane battery life is invaluable when traveling In My Opinion.

My phone of choice: https://www.oneplus.com/oneplus-6t?from=6t
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBeachPerson
Metro DC resident. Having the newest, most expensive, smart phone is a marker of sophistication and social status here. So is owning a Lexus/BMW/Tesla and 400 pairs of sneakers.
I also don't buy this for 2 seconds. Cars? Houses? Maybe. Phones? No. Especially today when every phone is turning into a slab of glass. By the end of this year you won't even be able to tell who has which phone.

/Edit/ Not to EVEN mention with device payments plans nowadays? It's pretty easy for a lot of people to pay $30/mon for a phone (instead of $1,000 at once).
Phones are not status symbols.

Last edited by Peregrine; 03-21-2019 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Sylmar, a part of Los Angeles
4,299 posts, read 2,734,897 times
Reputation: 9410
iphone 6 to iphone 8 all look the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top