U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 AM

34,447 posts, read 43,293,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And then there are those of us that can afford $550 phones (or $1,500 phones) and still afford to travel. It's not either or for some people. Just saying. And having a good phone that's quick and reliable with insane battery life is invaluable when traveling In My Opinion.

My phone of choice: https://www.oneplus.com/oneplus-6t?from=6t

I also don't buy this for 2 seconds. Cars? Houses? Maybe. Phones? No. Especially today when every phone is turning into a slab of glass. By the end of this year you won't even be able to tell who has which phone.

/Edit/ Not to EVEN mention with device payments plans nowadays? It's pretty easy for a lot of people to pay $30/mon for a phone (instead of $1,000 at once).
Phones are not status symbols.
If you don't think phones are status symbols you don't get out much. You mentioned cars and houses, phones fit into that among a subset of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 11:35 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
If you think phones are status symbols, I think that says more about you then it does others. No offense intended.

"ohhhh, he can afford $30 a month for a phone! He's RICH!" What?!?

Maybe in 2007 when the iPhone was new. But not today. Again... you can't even tell an $1,200 iPhone from my phone at first glance.... You can't tell an iPhone X from an iPhone XS or XR today without giving it a good look. Phones are so ubiquitous today this is not an issue for 95% of people.

Now if a Lamborghini was only $10,000 more then a Chevy Malibu would it still be a status symbol?
Not to even mention with Apples trade in deals, they aren't even that much!

Wife traded in her iPhone 7 for $250 for her XR. She paid LESS for her iPhone then I paid for my OP6T because of that trade in. Status symbol? Sorry... still disagree.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:42 AM

34,447 posts, read 43,293,594 times
Quote:
If you think phones are status symbols, I think that says more about you then it does others. No offense intended.

"ohhhh, he can afford $30 a month for a phone! He's RICH!" What?!?

Maybe in 2007 when the iPhone was new. But not today. Again... you can't even tell an $1,200 iPhone from my phone at first glance.... You can't tell an iPhone X from an iPhone XS or XR today without giving it a good look. Phones are so ubiquitous today this is not an issue for 95% of people.

Now if a Lamborghini was only $10,000 more then a Chevy Malibu would it still be a status symbol?
Not to even mention with Apples trade in deals, they aren't even that much!

Wife traded in her iPhone 7 for $250 for her XR. She paid LESS for her iPhone then I paid for my OP6T because of that trade in. Status symbol? Sorry... still disagree.
Do you know anyone who brags about their car? House? Phones are the same for some people, they can't wait to get the newest hot lick a tell you about it. Are you old enough to remember when digital watches were introduced? People would damn near dislocate their elbow looking at the time in such a way that everyone knew they had a digital. Same with phones.

Don't feel sorry for me, my phone is a Casio Ravine 2.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:09 PM

Yea, I am not young.
To reiterate: If you think phones are status symbols, I think that says more about you then it does others.
Here's the deal: your friends and family aren't bragging to you that they have the new iPhone. They aren't showing off.
They're just trying to get you out of the dark ages and get a real phone, because they care about you. I think they'd be happy even if you got the LG Q7 (budget, mid range phone).

hehehe

I will certainly give you credit though: I don't know anyone with a flip phone that would actually know the name of it.

All 3 of them....

Old 03-21-2019, 01:15 PM

7,957 posts, read 9,026,785 times
Quote:
And then there are those of us that can afford $550 phones (or $1,500 phones) and still afford to travel. It's not either or for some people. Just saying. And having a good phone that's quick and reliable with insane battery life is invaluable when traveling In My Opinion.
I can afford a $1,100 phone and also travel to wherever I want in the world. I simply don't *need* a smartphone that costs that much--it doesn't do anything that a lesser cost phone doesn't provide *for my needs* and my ego is not attached to showing off the latest smartphone. A smartphone is a tool for me, it's not a part of my being and it doesn't define my worth. I match my needs to the products available and use that to narrow down my choices. I only use the Android platform so that's a filter. Within the Android platform there are tons of phones. The phone I just ordered has a 5,000 mah battery, which will give me 3 full days of power before needing to be charged. That's a priority.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:01 PM

12,434 posts, read 10,901,950 times
I live in one of the most materialistic places in the world and no one here thinks a phone is a status symbol. Maybe 10 years ago but not now.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
and my ego is not attached to showing off the latest smartphone.
Because... they are NOT status symbols.
Thank you.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:44 AM

7,957 posts, read 9,026,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do you know anyone who brags about their car? House? Phones are the same for some people, they can't wait to get the newest hot lick a tell you about it. Are you old enough to remember when digital watches were introduced? People would damn near dislocate their elbow looking at the time in such a way that everyone knew they had a digital. Same with phones.

Don't feel sorry for me, my phone is a Casio Ravine 2.

I've heard people brag about their cars, specifically when I was in Silicon Valley working at a company that had gone through their IPO about 6 months earlier, the boyz were bragging about their new $100K Porsche purchases. I rolled my eyes because boyz and their toys. Actually they also bragged about their newest flip phones <lol> which were increasingly smaller each iteration. Smartphones didn't exist yet, this was 1998. Yes, I remember when digital watches were introduced in the early '70s.

Back to the subject of this thread: any device one gets is a tool to be used, not to be controlled by. OP doesn't know how to use technology he's owned for 7 years and allows it to control him. That's a human problem, not a device problem. But if the human cannot control themselves and cannot (or will not) learn to make the technology serve their needs, then it's probably best they don't have the technology in their life.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM

Boy, you gotta ... lotta moxie.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 PM

1,304 posts, read 676,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I do use Facebook on my phone, but have disabled all alerts so that I only go check it when I want, not when it tells me to....
The only notification I get on my phone is Words With Friends....

If I want to look at FB, mail, IG, etc. I open the app. Works for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones