U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM

3,907 posts, read 2,977,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Scanner technology has improved massively. You don't need max brightness any more.
That may be true. But not all scanning machines at airports, TSA or Airline, have kept updating their scanners. That costs money that is not in budgets.

People have posted here of situations at major airports in the past 6 months where its obvious the machines have never been upgraded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 07:53 PM

11,092 posts, read 13,106,553 times
Portable phone chargers are pretty cheap.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:21 PM

I bought an Anker. Can’t say I’m happy. It charges slower than molasses in January.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:28 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times
None of them are quick unless your phone and charge support Quick / Dash / Super / Turbo charging. But it will certainly keep your phone alive.
As important as you are making it sound that you MUST have a phone for travel and the precautions you are taking to make sure it won't die on you.... get a better phone! Jeez.

Mine can go 2 DAYS easily. Any flagship phone can easily go a full 24 hours on a single charge... much more if you don't use it much.
I know, I know... I hear it all the time "I don't want to spend money on a phone!"

So buy A CHEAP PHONE AND A CHARGER AND A PRINTER AND WORRY CONSTANTLY IF THE BRIGHTNESS WILL BE HIGH ENOUGH OF IF i'LL HAVE ENOUGH CHARGE OF (OOPS.. ACCICAPS) ... just saying...
My phone is an important tool when I travel. I cannot stand even a bit of lag or any kind of annoyance. It must work well 100% of the time.

and mine does.
Although they didn't always...

Are you on Verizon by any chance? The Motorola Z3 is $280 and has a "mod" that can attach to the back for huge battery life.

That's an excellent phone at a ridiculous price.

Old 04-11-2019, 09:38 AM

3,972 posts, read 2,615,898 times
I have this one, bought about a year ago and still going strong. I have the 10k one as well, this one is 20k.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it when I am not near an outlet, on the sofa, in bed overnight etc.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
e.
As important as you are making it sound that you MUST have a phone for travel and the precautions you are taking to make sure it won't die on you....
I do so enjoy your posts.

It appears to be hard for you to understand that there are people who are just not as lucky as you, and that us peons with poor luck, have to have back up plans for when things go south---because for us, they usually do.

And so, people like us are constantly exploring ways to have back-ups and ways to make things easier for stuff we don’t do very often.

What’s important for us, the UNLUCKY, is to have stuff that keeps the bad luck at bay. I envy you.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 PM

39,906 posts, read 57,726,659 times
Sure, but you can't possibly create backup for every life situation. Some precautions make sense, other are pure waste of time...

While bad luck can be pretty difficult to cope with, particularly when it seems to be targeting you and no one else - it's hard to believe that you had nothing just endless strings of bad luck throughout your entire life. Lots of it is simply negative thinking.
Yes - that is the thing about dealing with bad luck, and getting over it: it is all about mindset.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure, but you can't possibly create backup for every life situation. Some precautions make sense, other are pure waste of time...
For every major change situation, you can.....because I do.

For people who have generally good luck in making connections and travel, most precautions are a pure waste of time. But for others, for whom things just don’t work like they are supposed to, they are not a waste of time at all.

My wife has terrible computer karma. If the computer device can break down, when she needs it the most it will break down. They had to ban her from using the copy machine at work because when ever she used it, it needed repair after wards. One day through some arcane series of commands she managed to accidentally turn her computer screen upside down, and it took a tech guy nearly 4 hours to figure out how to fix it.

I am the only one at my yacht club for whom his outboard actually died in the middle of the bay an had to have the USCG pick him up. Everyone at the club said it never happened to them and that I must have bad outboard karma.

And what is a pure waste of time for YOU, Elnina, is a prudent back up for me.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:58 PM

1,307 posts, read 676,976 times
There are suitcases now with built in chargers, maybe consider something like that when travelling?

https://www.awaytravel.com/luggage/b...saAjeGEALw_wcB

Backpacks too --> https://www.amazon.com/s?k=suitcase+...l_1qeiu0tpuo_e

Old 04-24-2019, 03:14 PM

I used the Anker now. It worked great. I never went down below two bars at any time, and it charged overnight easily. Recharge was very fast provided I remembered to turn it on. You have to click the little button on the side to turn the little led dots on.

No more problems with phone dying. Also putting the phone on low power mode all the time works great at keeping the battery usage down, and if you need more power its easy to turn it back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones