Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 12:43 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
The mirrored option is normally a setting for many phones. I believe most phones do flip it by default (albeit that is also a setting that can be reversed). Because most people see themselves via the mirror, some prefer to preserve that "look" when taking selfies. Of course, this will "mirror" any writings, etc.

Basically - it's a feature, not a shortcoming.
I get the whole mirror thing: It helps when you are composing the shot. That's not the issue. But for example, if you are selfieing with Big Ben(the clock tower) or the Queen Mary, the taken photo should be flipped(by the camera app) so as to be able to properly read the time on the clock, or the name on the ship's bow.

If the taken selfie resembles the mirror preview image, then something is wrong with the feature - period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 03:39 PM

356 posts, read 175,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
^^This^^ is what's wrong with the world nowadays.

pi$$-poor attitude..
I'm not the one having a stroke about selfies. Are you 13 years old?

Old 04-03-2019, 03:55 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
I get the whole mirror thing: It helps when you are composing the shot. That's not the issue. But for example, if you are selfieing with Big Ben(the clock tower) or the Queen Mary, the taken photo should be flipped(by the camera app) so as to be able to properly read the time on the clock, or the name on the ship's bow.

If the taken selfie resembles the mirror preview image, then something is wrong with the feature - period.
But that is what people wanted.

By default, phone cameras don't take pictures like it's a mirror reflection. It's only showing that in the preview. However, people WANTED to save that look. So a feature had to be added to preserve the viewfinder view. It basically just flips the picture horizontally. Before this feature was added to phones, you had to actually install apps to get that effect.

The fact that you see people with backward lettering in the picture isn't a flaw of the camera/phone. They simply have that setting turned ON. It's typically called "preserve preview" or "save pic. as preview". Whether or not they meant to have that feature on when taking any specific picture is a different story.

But again - that is a setting that you can turn on or off in many phones. There are people that complain because that feature ISN'T on their phone.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
But that is what people wanted.

Are you kidding me - people want taken selfies that show shirt logos and outdoor lettering backwards??

By default, phone cameras don't take pictures like it's a mirror reflection. It's only showing that in the preview.

Like it's supposed to.

However, people WANTED to save that look. So a feature had to be added to preserve the viewfinder view. It basically just flips the picture horizontally. Before this feature was added to phones, you had to actually install apps to get that effect.

The fact that you see people with backward lettering in the picture isn't a flaw of the camera/phone. They simply have that setting turned ON. It's typically called "preserve preview" or "save pic. as preview". Whether or not they meant to have that feature on when taking any specific picture is a different story.

But again - that is a setting that you can turn on or off in many phones.

WHERE is this so-called "preserve" setting to turn backward selfies off and on??? Because I cannot find it in my iPhone 4, 5, or 8S, or in any recent Galaxy or other Droid platform.

There are people that complain because that feature ISN'T on their phone.
See mine ^in italics^

Additional: I don't know ANYONE who wants a photo of themself in front of a popular landmark showing themselves, and the lettering on the side of the building, backwards!

Old 04-03-2019, 05:28 PM

356 posts, read 175,858 times
Quote:

Additional: I don't know ANYONE who wants a photo of themself in front of a popular landmark with themself, and the lettering on the side of the building, backwards!
This is a HUGE conversation point between me and my friends. We stay up past midnight to discuss it. One guy we used to be friends with showed us a selfie of him at Coachella but the banner said allehcaoC so we doused him with a full bottle of craft IPA and punched him and ejected him from our loft.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:50 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
And if it's not such a big deal, then why are shirts coming out with backwards lettering - so it appears correct in selfies?...
https://www.zazzle.com/this_is_my_se...12867867060016

Because one freaking guy had a (brilliant) idea to make -1- t-shirt to poke fun at the fact that some phones reverse photos... it'S A BIG DEAL? Really? Do you know how easy it is to sell shirts?

Do you think he's selling a ton of them? (Bet, no) Even if I bought that shirt... and took a selfie... do you think people would even know? LOL NO because it would look fine.

I just took a selfie of a book on my desk. It's backwards! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT DID THAT. I guess I just don't take many selfies. And I don't care.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
See mine ^in italics^
I can't tell you what they want - But my guess is that a lot of people want their faces the way they see it on the camera - which is the mirrored/reflective image. So they're focused on the people/faces, not necessarily the other contents like lettering, logos, etc.

As for the settings - I don't own these phones - but some quick google results:

https://thedroidguy.com/2019/03/mana...orials-1076430

Scroll about 1/2 way down under "How to manage Galaxy S8 Camera settings" and under "Secondary Camera".

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ip...photo-3635062/

Quote:
Additional: I don't know ANYONE who wants a photo of themself in front of a popular landmark showing themselves, and the lettering on the side of the building, backwards!
Again - my guess is that they had that setting enabled (maybe for an earlier pic that was focused on face/head,etc.), and just don't feel compelled enough to fix it. This is just a guess. There are all kinds of pictures that you can ask whether the best camera setting was used. But that doesn't make it a bad camera.

Looks to me like the link above for the iphone requires an app - so obviously people want it if they are going to the trouble of installing something to preserve the mirrored image.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Because one freaking guy had a (brilliant) idea to make -1- t-shirt to poke fun at the fact that some phones reverse photos... it'S A BIG DEAL? Really? Do you know how easy it is to sell shirts?

Do you think he's selling a ton of them? (Bet, no) Even if I bought that shirt... and took a selfie... do you think people would even know? LOL NO because it would look fine.

I just took a selfie of a book on my desk. It's backwards! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT DID THAT. I guess I just don't take many selfies. And I don't care.
"..I don't care"

Words deadlier than the deadliest weapons on Earth.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:09 AM

18,052 posts, read 15,649,855 times
The issue is many people don't think about it or care enough to look up how to correct selfie image mirroring. If they do care and do want to correct it:

Samsung: https://gadgetguideonline.com/s7/sas...-front-camera/

iPhone: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ip...photo-3635062/

Old 04-04-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
The issue is many people don't think about it or care enough to look up how to correct selfie image mirroring. If they do care and do want to correct it:

Samsung: https://gadgetguideonline.com/s7/sas...-front-camera/

iPhone: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ip...photo-3635062/

The problem is that my friends' selfies remain flipped(mirrored as they composed them) by default! Why would some phones not un-mirror the selfies, while others do? Sounds like a software glitch on my friends devices to me.

Would the above referenced apps enable them to un-mirror their selfies so they appear on the correct side of the car they're sitting in, and the lettering - on their shirt or on a building behind them - can be read normally?

Personally, I find the concept of someone WANTING their selfies to remain backwards(mirrored) kind of weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones