U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:46 AM

4,593 posts, read 8,198,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
My friends are not all rich. What was a successor to S5? I'm assuming S7 was scrapped after the fire issues. But yes, most of my friends with iPhones 6-10, or Droid models from within the last few years, take selfies that come out as they appear in preview: backwards(technically, mirrored). Guess my wife and I are just lucky with our iPhones.

And there's no way for them to 'mess up an option' in an iPhone of any generation, because no such "option" concerning selfie orientation exists, either in the camera app itself or in the Camera tab within settings. Been there. Checked that. Next please.
The Galaxy S5 has had a line of successors. The S10 just came out.
The battery issues was with their Note line.

As for the mirror image - this is from an S4 - the "saved as flipped" option is what your friend will want to check (albeit it may be different on the S5).

And you're right - iPhones don't even have this feature. But there are a bunch of apps around to do that. If your friend's iPhones are doing that by default without an app, then something is wrong with their phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 11:05 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

And the S7 is $105 on Swappa right now.

As he said, to be specific, the NOTE 7 and only the Note 7, was the one that had issues.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times
If there iPhones are flipping images in the final result, and they are not using a 3rd party app, then their phone is broken.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,365 posts, read 960,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If there iPhones are flipping images in the final result, and they are not using a 3rd party app, then their phone is broken.
I think you're getting it mixed up: If the selfies aren't being flipped after being taken, then something somewhere is wrong. The selfie(front) cam acts just like a mirror, to aid in composition. Ergo, the image taken with it must be flipped, horizontally, so as to appear correct, IE with shirt writing legible and no backwards clocks. My wife's and my iPhones have all done this correctly. My friends' devices, not so much.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:09 PM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times
Quote:
I think you're getting it mixed up: If the selfies aren't being flipped after being taken, then something somewhere is wrong. The selfie(front) cam acts just like a mirror, to aid in composition. Ergo, the image taken with it must be flipped, horizontally, so as to appear correct, IE with shirt writing legible and no backwards clocks. My wife's and my iPhones have all done this correctly. My friends' devices, not so much.
Yeah I meant flipped from what you see on screen before taking the pic.

Old 04-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:

As for the mirror image - this is from an S4 - the "saved as flipped" option is what your friend will want to check (albeit it may be different on the S5).

And you're right - iPhones don't even have this feature. But there are a bunch of apps around to do that. If your friend's iPhones are doing that by default without an app, then something is wrong with their phones.
So now my question is on that S5 menu: Does "Save as flipped" mean save selfie as it appears in camera(mirrored/backwards lettering) or to actually perform the flipping that Apple does automatically?

Part of the problem with this issue is settling on the correct terminology to describe wth is going on, lol!

Old 04-13-2019, 06:27 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
Quote:
So now my question is on that S5 menu: Does "Save as flipped" mean save selfie as it appears in camera(mirrored/backwards lettering) or to actually perform the flipping that Apple does automatically?

Part of the problem with this issue is settling on the correct terminology to describe wth is going on, lol!
I have an old S5 .... By default a selfie is automatically flipped to normal once the image is taken (Save as Flipped is "off"). Turning on Save as Flipped reverses the image, making the lettering on my shirt backwards to match the selfie screen in the final image.

I'm going to assume that save as flipped is off by default, as I've never touched that setting in any of my Galaxy phones (5 / 7/ 9).

Old 04-13-2019, 06:58 AM

4,593 posts, read 8,198,614 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I have an old S5 .... By default a selfie is automatically flipped to normal once the image is taken (Save as Flipped is "off"). Turning on Save as Flipped reverses the image, making the lettering on my shirt backwards to match the selfie screen in the final image.

I'm going to assume that save as flipped is off by default, as I've never touched that setting in any of my Galaxy phones (5 / 7/ 9).
^ What Skunk Workz said. By default, pictures come out like any camera would take them. You would flip that toggle on if you want your pictures to come out looking like you took a picture of a mirror.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post

Quote:
^ What Skunk Workz said. By default, pictures come out like any camera would take them. You would flip that toggle on if you want your pictures to come out looking like you took a picture of a mirror.
AHH, now we are getting somewhere. This thread is starting to take on the nature of a truly informative sticky, thanks guys!

So this explains that my Android friends might have turned the setting on in their phones, resulting in 'backwards' selfies. As for those with iPhones, well that is a mystery yet to be solved. Everything else on their iPhones works fine for what they do with them.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:17 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
Quote:
AHH, now we are getting somewhere. This thread is starting to take on the nature of a truly informative sticky, thanks guys!

So this explains that my Android friends might have turned the setting on in their phones, resulting in 'backwards' selfies. As for those with iPhones, well that is a mystery yet to be solved. Everything else on their iPhones works fine for what they do with them.
Or they could have an Android phone by a different manufacturer (or a different camera app) that doesn't correct the image. Camera Apps are usually supplied by the phone manufacturer, and will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. And you can replace the stock camera app with a third party one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones