U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,964,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Still, I would like to use any new phone for a decade, like my old one that is breaking now. Thus I want a really good one.

Um...no. Not going to happen. You'd be damned lucky to get a solid 5 years out of one. After getting the battery replaced in year 3 which you cannot do yourself.

Have you looked at One Plus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 AM

39,896 posts, read 57,726,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Um...no. Not going to happen. You'd be damned lucky to get a solid 5 years out of one. After getting the battery replaced in year 3 which you cannot do yourself.

Have you looked at One Plus?
Not only that - the software doesn't get updated for 10 years. Most phones get security updates only for 3-4 years. This includes patches for bugs and security issues.
The battery will deteriorate too.
After that, you start to deal with a phone that is outdated, vulnerable and in some cases pretty useless...

So, you need to decide what you need the phone for - do you really need the most sophisticated and the most expensive phone that last maybe 3-4 years? Or you will be OK with a midrange that cost less. Or even refurbished models with full manufacture warranty...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:38 AM

22,367 posts, read 19,829,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I agree with Elnina's suggestion to look for something that is considered to be the best smartphone in Europe.

I don't know if you can read German, but if you can, the equivalent to our Consumer's Report is Stiftung Warentest, which I used to read when I lived in Germany.

They just tested 357 mobile phones (called Handys in Germany and some other parts of Europe) this month, and here is a link to their article, "Smartphone-Test: 357 Handys im Vergleich":

https://www.test.de/Handys-und-Smart...est-4222793-0/
I don't like those site, they usually charge a fee for obtaining the test results.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:45 AM

22,367 posts, read 19,829,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not only that - the software doesn't get updated for 10 years. Most phones get security updates only for 3-4 years. This includes patches for bugs and security issues.
The battery will deteriorate too.
After that, you start to deal with a phone that is outdated, vulnerable and in some cases pretty useless...

So, you need to decide what you need the phone for - do you really need the most sophisticated and the most expensive phone that last maybe 3-4 years? Or you will be OK with a midrange that cost less. Or even refurbished models with full manufacture warranty...
Oh, I would not buy a top of the line phone, but I want a modern one for the money I pay.
3-4 years is a joke, I hate that wasteful, unsustainable, greedy attitude of manufacturers.
Can't one install a new version of Android whenever it is published? Like with installing a new Windows version on an older computer?

But before I consider a smartphone, I will order a replacement battery for my old phone from an online shop I found, maybe that will do. I could continue to use it for years to come

Old 04-01-2019, 10:57 AM

14,385 posts, read 21,058,877 times
Quote:
I would like to use any new phone for a decade
Silly goal.
Not realistic.
Software changes too often. "Your phone is no longer supported."
Five years is the outside number.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:58 AM

39,896 posts, read 57,726,659 times
Quote:
Oh, I would not buy a top of the line phone, but I want a modern one for the money I pay.
3-4 years is a joke, I hate that wasteful, unsustainable, greedy attitude of manufacturers.
Can't one install a new version of Android whenever it is published? Like with installing a new Windows version on an older computer?

But before I consider a smartphone, I will order a replacement battery for my old phone from an online shop I found, maybe that will do. I could continue to use it for years to come
No. That's not possible. System updates are not an app to download. Updates are sent to your phone and you update from there. There is no outside source to do such downloads.

Companies intentionally plan the obsolescence of their goods by updating the design or software and discontinuing support for older models, so that now it is usually cheaper and easier to buy a new product than to repair an old one.

Yes, obsolete gadgets are an environmental problem. Thankfully many European countries have banned technotrash from landfills.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:46 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,410,217 times
Quote:

Better check with your carrier, that may not be possible. Example, Verizon is scheduled to deactivate the older network within a few years. People hanging on to old phones will have to get a new phone. They do have a few flip phones available that are compatible.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:16 PM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Quote:

This sounds like someone trying to use an old Intel Pentium computer from the 2000's trying to update to Microsoft Windows 10. The older devices lack sufficient memory and processing power to use the latest operating systems. Been like this why as long as I remember it with phones and computers.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 AM

8,676 posts, read 9,452,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
This sounds like someone trying to use an old Intel Pentium computer from the 2000's trying to update to Microsoft Windows 10. The older devices lack sufficient memory and processing power to use the latest operating systems. Been like this why as long as I remember it with phones and computers.
Not to mention a 10 year old smartphone is limited to 3g technology.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:26 AM

3,449 posts, read 6,329,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Not to mention a 10 year old smartphone is limited to 3g technology.
Agreed, that is an excellent point which is even more relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or