U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM

22,368 posts, read 19,831,977 times

Advertisements

Was thinking of finally replacing my ancient, primitive cell phone with a smart phone, and as I was investigating the brands and models, I noticed that Samsung sells phones with exactly the same model names, but with different processors inside depending on the world region the customer lives in. China and the US get the versions with the faster Qualcomm processors while Europe, Africa, the Middle East etc. get the version with Samsung's own processors, which however turn out to be clearly less powerful, yet the phones cost the same, actually they are more expensive here in Europe. Here are some benchmark results:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14031...gon-855-scores

Seems they do that with every generation of their phones.
That practice alone has made me exclude Samsung as I don't want to pay more for an inferior product.

So, it will be a Chinese one, either Huawei/Honor or Xiaomi...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 09:11 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
As an iphone guy, I will say this: coming from ancient cell phone you will be blown away by a mid level or flagship Samsung phone regardless of the processor. You won’t notice a difference. Even Apple may use two different processors at times. Both are fine. I am sure all the other companies do likewise. Your beef is a nonissue as someone who is getting a first smartphone.

The cost of one processor over another is not very much. What you are paying is for the cost of the phone as a whole and company profit. Would it seal the deal if you paid $10 less for your EU Samsung?

Old 03-30-2019, 04:18 PM

Sure, they are so much better than my primitive cell phone, which only allows to send/receive plain text messages and talk, no cam, nothing

Still, I would like to use any new phone for a decade, like my old one that is breaking now. Thus I want a really good one.

No, Huawei for instance ships exactly the same phones around the world, the Ugandan client gets exactly the same tech as the Canadian one. With Samsung that is not the case and I feel I would be ripped off if I bought one of their phones here in Europe since I would pay more and yet get an inferior version compared to China for instance. If you take a look at the benchmark results linked, the differences are considerable with certain tasks.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:21 PM

39,912 posts, read 57,741,604 times
I don't think those are dubious practices. They sell phones according to region specifications and systems.
You're in Europe, so you should buy what works there. The systems might be not the same. Cellular networks in different countries use different bands and technologies.
https://www.german-way.com/travel-an...nes-in-europe/
https://www.tripsavvy.com/buying-the...europe-1507399
https://www.toptenreviews.com/mobile...one-in-europe/

I used my unlocked US Samsung 6, and Google Pixel without any problems.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 03-30-2019 at 07:10 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 PM

5,021 posts, read 2,730,206 times
I agree with Elnina's suggestion to look for something that is considered to be the best smartphone in Europe.

I don't know if you can read German, but if you can, the equivalent to our Consumer's Report is Stiftung Warentest, which I used to read when I lived in Germany.

They just tested 357 mobile phones (called Handys in Germany and some other parts of Europe) this month, and here is a link to their article, "Smartphone-Test: 357 Handys im Vergleich":

https://www.test.de/Handys-und-Smart...est-4222793-0/

Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 PM

Not sure what that has got to do with anything, my phone only needs to work in Europe.

The point of this thread is another, namely making people aware that just because you buy a specific Samsung phone model, does not mean you get the same phone everywhere. In some regions you get an inferior phone although it is sold under exactly the same model name.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:25 PM

39,912 posts, read 57,741,604 times
My bad. I thought you were interested in US phones that seems to have better technology.
I think that Huawei and Xiaomi are really great choices. I was looking at them last year, and I liked them.

Mercedes in Germany is not the same quality as the Mercedes in the US...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:25 PM

Yes, many companies are said to ship inferior products to Africa and other regions considered less important. An insult in my view. Not sure Mercedes is one of them, though. I think their cars have to look a bit different because of different safety and other regulations.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:46 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
My bad. I thought you were interested in US phones that seems to have better technology.
I think that Huawei and Xiaomi are really great choices. I was looking at them last year, and I liked them.

Mercedes in Germany is not the same quality as the Mercedes in the US...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, many companies are said to ship inferior products to Africa and other regions considered less important. An insult in my view. Not sure Mercedes is one of them, though. I think their cars have to look a bit different because of different safety and other regulations.
Mercedes in the US, while a prestige car, is less reliable than a Ford or a Chevy

Old 03-31-2019, 05:57 PM

Are the Mercedes sold in the US the same as the ones sold in Germany? (I mean, other than superficial differences such as bigger bumpers.)

Generally speaking, I think the more complex and sophisticated a car is, the less reliable it becomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or