U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:37 PM

49 posts, read 24,333 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have a pre-paid LG 442BG flip phone with TracFone service ($20 for pre-paid minutes every 90 days). I'm trying to find a way to block unwanted spam calls and spam texts on this phone.

But when I go to Settings > Phone Settings > Security, I only see two options:
1. Phone Lock (off/on)
2. Change Codes (change my security PIN).

I otherwise really like the phone. Is there a way to block unwanted spam on the LG 442BG?

If not, what other prepaid flip phones (under $30) have a "block call" option and you like the phone's overall quality? Thanks!

Last edited by 4Way; 04-12-2019 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 PM

39,896 posts, read 57,726,659 times
I don't think you can. You probably can't download any apps either.
TracFone phones do not have the feature to block phone numbers.

Get a simple smartphone with a great plan:
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/util...l-phone-plans/
https://www.pcmag.com/article/259293...never-heard-of
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...-prepaid-plans
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...-prepaid-plans
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 04-16-2019 at 04:35 AM..

Old 04-16-2019, 01:53 PM

Thanks, elnina, for the very helpful reply.

I thought it's possible to send a block text: "block_##########". But it didn't work.

I appreciate the great links you posted. I'll use them to find a different phone and plan.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,578,879 times
Tracfone doesn't allow you to block spammers. I just have all the people that call me in my phones phonebook, and if it's a number calling that's not there, I do NOT answer it. If it's somehow legit, they'll leave a voicemail. If they aren't legit, they won't leave a voicemail.

It works for me.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:38 PM

MikeBear, that's a great idea. I'll start using the phonebook.

Do you also have a way to know who a text message is coming from before you open it? Sometimes I don't see any identifying data when it arrives. My understanding is that opening a spam text message tells them you're real -- and then they'll keep bothering the recipient. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:15 PM

39,896 posts, read 57,726,659 times
Yes, you can stop answering calls from people not in your address book and just let them leave voice mail.
If curious, you can check who called by entering the number here:
http://www.okcaller.com
Not opening txt message means nothing, because there are apps that can track them.
Also, most smart phones have settings that allow to read new messages on home screen.
If you have airplane mode on your phone settings, you can read any txt messages when the airplane mode is turned on, without the sender "seeing" that you read them.

However never open attachments (txt or email) sent from people you don't know/trust.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 6,394,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Way View Post
Hello. I have a pre-paid LG 442BG flip phone with TracFone service ($20 for pre-paid minutes every 90 days). I'm trying to find a way to block unwanted spam calls and spam texts on this phone.

But when I go to Settings > Phone Settings > Security, I only see two options:
1. Phone Lock (off/on)
2. Change Codes (change my security PIN).

I otherwise really like the phone. Is there a way to block unwanted spam on the LG 442BG?

If not, what other prepaid flip phones (under $30) have a "block call" option and you like the phone's overall quality? Thanks!
I have a Tracfone LG441G - essentially the same phone - and have no problem with unwanted spam calls or texts. I did, however have that problem with the first number they assigned me.

I simply changed my phone number and problem solved. Free, quick, and easy.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:43 PM

4,257 posts, read 8,014,889 times
I thought I was the only one still using an old flip phone. I had the LG 440G for years until the screen went bad a week ago.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Blocking spam

Elnina, I appreciated the link where I can check who called. It will save a lot of time. I'll also keep the airplane-mode option in mind.

Davidt1, it seems that flip phones are enjoying a resurgence. I prefer them because I don't need any "bells and whistles". And it's easier to carry around.

Thanks.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,578,879 times
With Tracfone, there's no real way to tell who the text came from, UNLESS you've memorized the phone numbers of the people likely to text you. You can see the number before acceptance. Their name will come up AFTER you accept the text, and IF they are in your phone book, but on a text you'll only get the phone number before acceptance/download.

They want you to use up your pre-paid time, they don't want to give you ways to stop their cash-cow. Even so, it's a pretty cheap cell plan, and has worked for me since 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or