Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 04:53 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times

Advertisements

I have an Alcatel smartphone on Tracfone plan. I rarely use it. My problem is that I can't seem to answer the phone - it rings, I pick it up, the screen is black. I touch the screen, nothing, I hit the power button on the side, it hangs up the call. So I wind up doing a call back, not really a problem but it bugs me.

I read the manual, it says, slide the phone (icon on screen) to the right. However I can't do this if I can't SEE it. What am I doing wrong? I have answered it in the past, I think maybe the screen used to light up when there was an incoming call.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:14 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,823,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have an Alcatel smartphone on Tracfone plan. I rarely use it. My problem is that I can't seem to answer the phone - it rings, I pick it up, the screen is black. I touch the screen, nothing, I hit the power button on the side, it hangs up the call. So I wind up doing a call back, not really a problem but it bugs me.

I read the manual, it says, slide the phone (icon on screen) to the right. However I can't do this if I can't SEE it. What am I doing wrong? I have answered it in the past, I think maybe the screen used to light up when there was an incoming call.
Since you can make a call back, you must be able to see the screen then. Describe this: What happens when you turn it on? Try to make an outgoing call?

Did you try to do a Cold Reset? (Power it off, then remove the battery, if possible, for 30 seconds), then reassemble and restart.

Final option, (make sure you understand the consequences before you do this), do a Factory Reset.

This sounds like a pretty serious problem (one that may take a more detailed diagnosis.) Take it to your seller if it's still in warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:35 AM

when I press the power button, screen lights up, I can make a call OK. If I do it while it is ringing, it will hang up the call. I believe when I first got it, the screen would be on while it was ringing. It's over 2 years old and it was fairly cheap to begin with. I will try the thing with the battery.

thanks.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Look into the notifications section in settings on the phone app. You may have accidentally denied a phone call notification on the lock screen.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:28 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times
Auto Answer may be an option. An annoying one, but at least your calls would be answered.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:23 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
You may need to change the time that the screen stays lit up in the preferences. The screen is going to sleep too soon. I used to have the same problem with my flip phone when I had to maneuver through auditory menus, pressing number to get people. The phone screen would go to sleep as soon as I connected. I never did find a phone pref that allowed it to stay on long enough to do that.

I bought an iPhone 7 instead.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 PM

61,637 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You may need to change the time that the screen stays lit up in the preferences. The screen is going to sleep too soon. I used to have the same problem with my flip phone when I had to maneuver through auditory menus, pressing number to get people. The phone screen would go to sleep as soon as I connected. I never did find a phone pref that allowed it to stay on long enough to do that.
That's what I suspect is happening...

OP, please report back...

Old 04-16-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post

I bought an iPhone 7 instead.

Some phones let you set a time limit to NEVER sleep while you're navigating whatever on your screen until you're done. My is not.
There are apps to help you with that. I use "No screen off" - a simple "switch on/off" app. (there must be others)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n.off&hl=en_US

Old 04-16-2019, 05:36 AM

well I did what was suggested with taking out the battery and checking the settings. Now I am just waiting to get a call. Like I said, it does not get much use.

My phone, being quite cheap, does not give a lot of options. For example, I would like it to ring more than 4 times before it goes to voice mail, but I can't make it do that.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
well I did what was suggested with taking out the battery and checking the settings. Now I am just waiting to get a call. Like I said, it does not get much use.

My phone, being quite cheap, does not give a lot of options. For example, I would like it to ring more than 4 times before it goes to voice mail, but I can't make it do that.
You could try this using secret codes: (assuming you have Android)

Dial *#61#.
It will display the number the calls are forwarded to and the current ring time. Write down the forwarding number.
Dial **61*+1xxxxxxxxxx*11*30# (where xxxxxxxxxx is the number displayed previously and 30 is the new ring time – you can pick 15, 20, 25 or 30).
Dial *#61# to check the new settings.

or
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...on-my-tracfone

For iOS:

To extend the ring time, enter the following sequence on your phone, followed by the number of seconds you wish your phone to ring for, then hash.

Press **61*101**[15, 20, 25 or 30]#.
Press the call/send button.

Chances are that it might work (fingers crossed)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones