U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 02:25 PM

8,676 posts, read 9,448,622 times

Advertisements

Back in the day, like five or eight years ago, when a new yearly model of smartphone there was a noticeable jump in performance and camera quality. But about three years ago things seemed to have plateaued and each year's new model was just incrementally better than the last model. In the Apple world, the 7 was way better than the 6s, but the 8 was just a small refinement over the 7. The X, except for the display, was not a lot better than the 8. I'm sure the same is true for Samsung as my son sees no need to upgrade from the his S8 to the S10. People are satisfied with their two or three year old phones and not upgrading every year like they did a few years back. Phone sales are flat. I see no reason to upgrade my iPhone 7 to a X or Xs as it performs well and does all I want and more. (For the record we had to replace our iPhone 6 and 6s phones less than a year ago. Did my homework and the math. Got two 7 phones for the same price as one X. No regrets)

Thoughts?

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-06-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 PM

392 posts, read 368,370 times
Agreed, that and they are too expensive.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 AM

2,939 posts, read 2,464,704 times
Smartphones are plateauing to an extent. Apple even admitted this 2-3 years ago. But, it's mostly subjective and based on user needs/wants.

There's likely more innovation on the Android side with the fierce completion among Android phones, but I don't follow them, so I'll comment about Apple. With iPhones I was so tired of the overused 6,6s,7,8 design that by the time the X came along it felt like a huge thing. To me, Apple does just enough with each new phone to lure interested shoppers. Apple has also mastered the art of making people think they'll love or need their expensive new gadget offering.

These are the main improvements off the top of my head with the newer iPhones.

iPhone 6: obviously was a big jump with the slim new design

6s: added 3d touch, a GB of RAM & much needed performance/speed, a frame that doesn't bend. To me the 6s is one of their best.
SE: smaller phone size with the power of 6S at a cheaper price. Excellent battery.

7: better camera, plus size added dual cameras & gb of RAM, new home button, & a speaker (by taking away the headphone jack). To me this was one of Apples smallest upgrades unless you bought the plus size.

8: better camera, speed/performance
X: Apple went all in with their anniversary phone. Added edge to edge display, face ID, performance/speed, better camera, true tone. What am I forgetting? This phone has it all.

XR: edge to edge, better battery, at a cheaper price, but without 3d touch & no OLED
XS: Added GB RAM for performance improvements, edge to edge in a larger phone (max size), better camera

I think it's going to be hard for Apple to make a lot of improvements from the X.

Last edited by everwinter; 05-07-2019 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-09-2019, 12:59 PM

14,512 posts, read 16,531,100 times
Note 5 (released a month before the iPhone 6s). It's fine other than I really need to replace the battery. I can't see spending $600 to $1,000 on a new phone instead of $20 on a battery. There new phones are much better, faster, better cameras... but at some point that's just not all that useful. I have a DSLR camera if I want to take good pictures and as a point and shoot the Note 5 is fine.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:49 PM

34,300 posts, read 59,623,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Smartphones are plateauing to an extent. Apple even admitted this 2-3 years ago. But, it's mostly subjective and based on user needs/wants.

There's likely more innovation on the Android side with the fierce completion among Android phones, but I don't follow them, so I'll comment about Apple. With iPhones I was so tired of the overused 6,6s,7,8 design that by the time the X came along it felt like a huge thing. To me, Apple does just enough with each new phone to lure interested shoppers. Apple has also mastered the art of making people think they'll love or need their expensive new gadget offering.

These are the main improvements off the top of my head with the newer iPhones.

iPhone 6: obviously was a big jump with the slim new design

6s: added 3d touch, a GB of RAM & much needed performance/speed, a frame that doesn't bend. To me the 6s is one of their best.
SE: smaller phone size with the power of 6S at a cheaper price. Excellent battery.

7: better camera, plus size added dual cameras & gb of RAM, new home button, & a speaker (by taking away the headphone jack). To me this was one of Apples smallest upgrades unless you bought the plus size.

8: better camera, speed/performance
X: Apple went all in with their anniversary phone. Added edge to edge display, face ID, performance/speed, better camera, true tone. What am I forgetting? This phone has it all.

XR: edge to edge, better battery, at a cheaper price, but without 3d touch & no OLED
XS: Added GB RAM for performance improvements, edge to edge in a larger phone (max size), better camera

I think it's going to be hard for Apple to make a lot of improvements from the X.
Software is where improvements need to come from.
Almost all current phone hardware is better than the software available.

I have the X. It is OK hardware. Hard to imagine outgrowing it.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 PM

3,907 posts, read 2,976,911 times
The upgrades will come in more and more responsive and aware AI.

My son works as a senior software engineer for a company that makes AI’s for speech conversation for the banking industry. The AI speech communication is getting so good that some people literally can’t tell if they are dealing with a computer or a real person.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,253,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Back in the day, like five or eight years ago, when a new yearly model of smartphone there was a noticeable jump in performance and camera quality. But about three years ago things seemed to have plateaued and each year's new model was just incrementally better than the last model. In the Apple world, the 7 was way better than the 6s, but the 8 was just a small refinement over the 7. The X, except for the display, was not a lot better than the 8. I'm sure the same is true for Samsung as my son sees no need to upgrade from the his S8 to the S10. People are satisfied with their two or three year old phones and not upgrading every year like they did a few years back. Phone sales are flat. I see no reason to upgrade my iPhone 7 to a X or Xs as it performs well and does all I want and more. (For the record we had to replace our iPhone 6 and 6s phones less than a year ago. Did my homework and the math. Got two 7 phones for the same price as one X. No regrets)

Thoughts?
We're getting to the point where the average person is unable to discern improvements in the processor power of smartphones. That does not mean that advancements are not going on, but it does mean that the advancements are more for the ability to deal with ever increasing complex operating systems and less for anything you can experience in a practical way.

Apple has implemented augmented reality and facial ID on their phones and that is something that phones before the iPhone X would not be able to handle even if those phones did have hardware for facial ID added to them. That, and again augmented reality, is the discernible difference between the 8 and the X. The 8 is not capable of doing either of those things. And the X has better image processing than the 8. So while the X may not shoot pictures of a higher resolution than the 8, megapixels is no longer the point.

Ten years from now we'll have phones that do not feel any faster than the iPhone 8. But that will not mean that they aren't faster. There is a limit at which humans can experience technology. We found this out the hard way with TV with ridiculous frame rates (240 hertz, 480 hertz) and ridiculous resolution (4K, which is only practical if your screen is larger than 50-inches or maybe you like to sit 2 inches away from the screen). At that point phones will just stream everything and you won't even be cognizant of what apps are on the phone you'll just tell it do things and it will do it.

Replace your phones when they die. Don't put a lot of thought into having the latest or greatest.

If you're not into phones, you can use an iPhone 4s and it will be okay. I know people with a Galaxy 4.

OP, what are you going to do when they stop telling you the resolution of the TV you've purchased. What are you going to do when the version number of Android and iOS disappears and they stop listing the specifications for the hardware. What will you do when you don't have to install apps anymore? This isn't science fiction. it will happen in our lifetime, and not 2050 more like before 2030.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 AM

7,954 posts, read 9,024,888 times
Quote:
Has the Smartphone matured?
Not sure about that. My smartphone still acts like an insolent teenager.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:52 PM

8,676 posts, read 9,448,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post

OP, what are you going to do when they stop telling you the resolution of the TV you've purchased. What are you going to do when the version number of Android and iOS disappears and they stop listing the specifications for the hardware. What will you do when you don't have to install apps anymore? This isn't science fiction. it will happen in our lifetime, and not 2050 more like before 2030.
What will I do? Not worry about it. I’ll just buy what works for me. I avoid the “latest and greatest” knowing it’s a waste of money and I have no need to impress anyone. Two year old technology offers me more than what I want or need.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:37 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,253,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
What will I do? Not worry about it. I’ll just buy what works for me. I avoid the “latest and greatest” knowing it’s a waste of money and I have no need to impress anyone. Two year old technology offers me more than what I want or need.
Same here. But there are a lot of people with older tech out there like 5 years or more. People have some old smartphones out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones