U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:20 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times

Advertisements

Sweet. If I thought it was that easy to curtail your posting I'd have started calling you out long ago.

Sorry, man, but you are starting to grate on my nerves. You are trolling. It's getting old.
Shockingly, this thread is absolutely the kind of thread you should participate in. Perfect for you. Go nuts.

But the countless threads where people ask for help and you chime in offering no help, proclaiming how happy you are with a flip phone and a calculator?!?
It's not helpful and adds nothing to the discussion. It's kind of trolling. Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 01:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,252,221 times
I have always hated talking on the phone, considering a phone conversation to be a brief annoyance when absolutely necessary, and that goes back to the old wall and cord phones. I'm all for the smart phone that allows research, inquiries, directions, and other communication without having to speak to someone. That also means not having to deal with voicemail commands, waiting on hold, being transferred to the wrong person, or being unable to understand the person at the call center on the other end. When it comes to friends and family, texts or emails are far more efficient, if a real conversation is needed, better that it be in person. I so agree that the ergonomics of the modern smartphone suck, since it was made to stare at a screen rather than to talk. When I do have to use it to talk I always put it on speaker and set it down.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have always hated talking on the phone, considering a phone conversation to be a brief annoyance when absolutely necessary, and that goes back to the old wall and cord phones. I'm all for the smart phone that allows research, inquiries, directions, and other communication without having to speak to someone.
LOLOL!! Love this part.
Who actually uses a cellphone... to talk on the phone anymore???

Old 05-13-2019, 06:11 PM

93 posts, read 32,253 times
I am of an age where I have experienced a good chunk my of life prior to cell phone tech, and with cell phone tech. Both lifestyles have advantages and dis advantages.

I really can't say cellphone tech has improved my life in a major way. Or that not having one back in the day really limited me much.

About all I really don't care for today is the concept that I need to be instantly available to my phone. That text's should be answered asap lest I be deemed rude. That so many trivial things from others, now seem to require my immediate attention, because the phone makes it possible to intrude on my life anywhere or anytime. I lived many years without instant availability before the cell. Worked for me just fine.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:44 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
LOLOL!! Love this part.
Who actually uses a cellphone... to talk on the phone anymore???
Actually a lot of people do. At least those of us who are interested in maintaining a meaningful relationship with friends and family that live more than 30 miles away. I can experience more in a five minute voice call than doing 30 minutes of texting. We won’t even get into the hour long call to an old friend who lives 200+ miles away, which I do on a weekly basis. Tone of voice adds to the experience. And how comforting would my son, a 1000 miles away, going through a divorce if we only texted? Voice, tone, periods of silence, you know, that thing called conversation. Texting has its place, but not as primary with meaningful relationships.

I text a lot. Short stuff, like want to get together? Or I’m running late. For “conversations” sure short ones. But I see the point of texting vs talking: it keeps the conversation on a light and impersonal level. Who needs social skills these days!

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-14-2019 at 12:05 AM..

Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 PM

197 posts, read 75,388 times
re:

- Crystal clear reception - If both wireless lines are on 4G LTE HD Voice, at least with Verizon Wireless https://www.verizonwireless.com/solu...ices/hd-voice/ , then reception is crystal clear, barring one of the lines being in a weak signal area.

- For a calculator - for Android phones, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fines.RealCalc works well, as there are times need to add multiple big numbers, which cannot do in head, and not at home where still have a calculator. Also like having a good quality camera on a phone. So two other devices I do not need to carry around and keep up with on the go. Also like Google Maps app on phone, so do not have to carry around a paper map or something printed from a website. Also with the phone's clock and wake up alarm, I do not own a watch nor an alarm clock.

- If not also for above, but would not have a smartphone if not for Uber and Lyft. At times go to places with bad parking, airport, train station, and traditional taxi service here in the outer suburbs is poor, good luck getting a taxi to show up in 30 minutes vs. Lyft/Uber within 10 minutes, not to mention the $ saved using Lyft/Uber vs. a taxi. Also smartphone helpful with GPS tracking of limited bus transit out here, more so rush hour commuter bus service, that can be delayed in traffic.

- Bouncing phones on ground - for both IPhones and Androids, Supcases I found are best https://www.amazon.com/s?k=supcase&ref=nb_sb_noss This case saved my phone from a drop on the sidewalk couple of months ago.

- Videos on phones, some do, some don't - unless on Wifi or have an expensive Unlimited plan, video uses 5-6 MB per minute or 1GB of cellular plan data in 2.5-3.5 hours. Agree with OP its not the greatest viewing experience on a smartphone, and worse if two or three people you know around you watching the video on your screen.

- Smartphone and basic phone replacements - Over the years, have found LG phones the best. I had a LG Decoy slider from 2008 to 2015. A couple people knew with their flip phones, the LG Revere, those phones lasted for 4-5 years. Currently have a LG G7 since last year. Except for IPhones, have been through the Motorola Digital Startac (1998-2001), another Motorola, a Nokia, the LG Decoy, a Samsung Galaxy, and none of those phones lasted more than three years until had issues where requiring replacement whether electrical/battery, screen display issue, failing mic, or something else critical. If something does not wrong in the phone itself, technology changes also forces us to change phones such as the 2G/3G CDMA retirements https://www.multitech.com/documents/...rriers_PDF.pdf forcing us to go to 4G LTE as soon as 12/31/2019 for Verizon https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...e-base-218813/ .

- Also phones requiring replacement - do not like phones where cannot replace the battery, non-removable battery. Some of the cheaper phones can still do, but they often have other quality issues. Either way, replacing phone after 2-3 years, unless get repair shop such as https://www.ubreakifix.com/ to do this https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/LG+G...eardown/110419 (there are similar videos for other phone models).

- As far as looking at a phone - used to use a mobile phone while biking (never now), and walking I especially put it down, even if just talking with someone, especially if crossing an intersection where need to keep attention focused. Tried Google voice-to-text walking in a large airport, but since the translation is not 100% perfect, still requires stopping to make corrections.

- Talking or texting vs. talking on phone or in person - had a boss once said, great for getting quick answers, but if more than three exchanges of a text or email messages, pick up the phone or talk in person. Typing also many sentences on a smartphone on-screen keyboard is slooow unless have something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with an adapter https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (does not work with all smartphones).

- Also since wireless coverage is an advanced radio service, coverage is not available everywhere all of the time. Like radios, coverage can be blocked or less quality such as by large buildings, mountains, trees or foliage, elevation, building construction (wood vs. concrete), network congestion/traffic can affect whether can get a call through or faster/slower data, days long power outages can last beyond hours of backup tower generators juice/gas, severe weather can damage cell towers, etc. Cell signal boosters, another device, often helpful, but will not boost zero signal, though some can be put in windows, others cannot be put on a landlord's roof - two options such as https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...extender-faqs/ and https://www.weboost.com/ , both can be helpful, but not always easy to set up and can have issues.

- These smartphones will not solve all of life's problem's, especially while traveling (as an aside, looking toward a Higher Power in prayer sometimes help, if you are into that). There are 9 different GPS systems, all with errors https://www.gps.gov/support/user/map...ices-and-maps/ . The GPS has problems with buildings with multiple entrances, if ever had a Lyft or Uber pick you up from one. Yes, you can text the human driver, but sometimes they still don't get it, and even more interesting with a driverless car. The bigger companies Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile/Sprint, out rolling 5G so autonomous cars can talk with each other, but those cells have to be within 2000 feet of each other https://www.tysonsreporter.com/2019/...ns-for-tysons/ . And if those cells have cameras on them at every street corner, then we are heading to George Orwell's 1984 setting with Big Brother watching us.

- With all of this tech, cell phones and other devices, a time saver or a time waster, especially when something on the tech device goes wrong, and its not Googleable. Even with newer printers and online manuals, still have not successfully cloud/wifi/NFC printed from a smartphone to a printer in my home, too much time trying to get it right and consider myself pretty techy, so if need to print, do yet from my laptop connected to the printer with the USB cable (its more data secure that way too as use a wired router). And no human in any large tech company support department is going to know the answer to every tech question. Once had a question for Verizon tech support, and thankfully for an engineer on a forum like this, no one after spending hours with multiple levels of Verizon tech support on the phone and their website knew the answer. Not to mention the time you spend, backing up data, keeping track of passwords for dozens of accounts, updating software, apps, including data security apps, and dealing with any unexpected virus and malware issues, including false positives, even with multiple layers of security software such as McAfee, Malwarebytes, and SpyShelter anti-logging, all of those not fully there yet in functionality on smartphones.

Last edited by sprklcl; 05-14-2019 at 10:56 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Actually a lot of people do.
I was mostly joking brother.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:51 AM

11,590 posts, read 8,280,537 times
I think one big advance with Android is when they let you put in a microSD card and it uses it like internal storage.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:35 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,904,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I think one big advance with Android is when they let you put in a microSD card and it uses it like internal storage.
It's good if they have it but many of the big names dropped it already. At least the Samsungs still have it!

Old 05-18-2019, 10:00 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,257,899 times
Another old man yelling at the cloud? Glad to see that some things have never changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones