U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:16 AM

93 posts, read 27,620 times

Advertisements

As useful as smartphones are, remembering back when how ergonomically more comfortable old analog Bell phone handsets felt in the hand and when pressed against ones face vs. cold, thin, easy to drop and damage rectangular smartphones. (:

The crystal clear reception of the old Bell phone system was great.(: Except when a storm, accident or other mishap damaged line wires to ones business/home. ):

One could bounce the Bell phones off the floor countless times and they continued functioning just fine. (: How many damaged screen have you had on smartphones, tablets? I confess to two damaged glass screens. ):

Although smartphone radiation concerns have attempted to be debunked, I will reserve critical judgement on negative health effects of smartphone radiation after we have more decades of data on same to better assess. Never any such concerns with the old Bell phones.

Observations:
- Almost all smartphones/tablets/computers have built-in calculator, yet many people I know (self included) prefer having a standalone calculator to use.
- Many watch short videos and even full length movies on smartphones/tablets. Many refuse to do so. Only a dedicated television/monitor of appropriate size will do for watching such content.earlier than in past generations onset
- I will not be surprised in future if we have many more people with eye problems exacerbated by staring at screens, especially those who spend much of their days doing same. The rather feeble efforts to limit screen time and adjust certain light spectrums from screen usage matters less when so many are so dependent on being "on" their devices so much.
- Steve Jobs was glorified in the mainstream media. In real life he was often considered by many close to him as a real SOB. Remember the "Think different" billboards all over US? How a very driven marketing man bent people to his will while became the widely admired renaissance man of legend, is stuff that spawned a flood of books. I hear far less about the engineers (besides WOZ) who invented the technology he used to make Apple. It's out there, one just have to dig to read about the real hero's of the underpinnings of the modern technology and Silicon Valley explosion. Of particular interest to me were the innovators and inventions spawned out of Bell Labs - those who to a person were much more pleasant human beings than Mr. Jobs.
Like some other consumer goods, manufacturers go out of their way, as do telecommunication companies selling smartphones, to have you replace your smartphone with a newer model. Trade-in/trade-up marketing is commonplace. Some insightful journalism has exposed that for all the talk about recycling old smartphones (and other electronic products), much electronic garbage is moldering away in toxic dumps/landfills in third world countries. My recollections are that consumers help on to their Bell phones for a much longer period of time (and generally held on to their appliances, television longer in comparison to the short life cycle habits of todays consumer).

Have no conclusive data on number of Americans employed through the old Bell phone company and the ancillary businesses that supported them, but suspect modern telecommunication corporations employee less people.

Of course we are not going back to analog phones. Only hold-on to past electronics that comes to my mind is the niche popularity of vinyl record playback.

Your thoughts? Old tech memories pro and con, the trade-offs and pluses? Where we are headed in age of fast shrinking natural resources and degradation of environment to the only home we have - planet earth.

Last edited by trouillot; 05-07-2019 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 08:31 AM

12,434 posts, read 10,899,055 times
I don't know anyone that would prefer to carry a stand alone calculator over a smart phone in the year 2019. (well besides you I guess?)

Old 05-07-2019, 08:54 AM

6,083 posts, read 2,762,253 times
I would prefer to carry practically anything rather than a "smart" phone these days. In a crowd I am usually the only person who is actually watching where he's going.

I ignored the Pontius Pilot/Crackberry fad, and by ignoring it I was able to avoid spending money and time on that whole generation of now-obsolete technology; and now I'm ignoring the smartphone fad too.

Believe it or not, adoption of new technologies is much more a matter of choice than the vendors of such devices would want you to believe. Just remember, FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:33 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Random counterpoints:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
As useful as smartphones are, remembering back when how ergonomically more comfortable old analog Bell phone handsets felt in the hand and when pressed against ones face vs. cold, thin, easy to drop and damage rectangular smartphones. (:
There was nothing 'ergonomic' about those old phones.

Quote:
One could bounce the Bell phones off the floor countless times and they continued functioning just fine. (: How many damaged screen have you had on smartphones, tablets? I confess to two damaged glass screens. ):
Yea, and they were also attached to the walls, and you couldn't take them with you on a road trip in case you needed some help. I'll take a phone in my pocket over driving around trying to find a working pay phone any day.

Quote:
- Almost all smartphones/tablets/computers have built-in calculator, yet many people I know (self included) prefer having a standalone calculator to use.
Yea, I call BS on this unless all your friends are in their 80's. No one under 60 is using a calculator unless they need it for a job. Especially since the tip calculator app came out on flip phones 15 years ago.

Quote:
- Many watch short videos and even full length movies on smartphones/tablets. Many refuse to do so.
Many MORE do. Your sample size is skewed by your calculator loving friends.

Quote:
- Steve Jobs was glorified in the mainstream media.
Certainly agree with this. "He was a genius!" Like he personally came up with every single idea that made Apple great?? Like he invented the smartphone?? The one great idea he had was to make a Smartphone for regular consumers and not one focused on business. There were great smart phones before he came along... he had an idea for a consumer centric "fun" one.

Quote:
Like some nearly every consumer goods, manufacturers go out of their way, as do telecommunication companies selling smartphones, to have you replace your smartphone with a newer model.
FTFY (Fixed That For You)

Quote:
My recollections are that consumers help on to their Bell phones for a much longer period of time (and generally held on to their appliances, television longer in comparison to the short life cycle habits of todays consumer).
Of course they did because the phone was unchanged for many years. But even then, better cooler designed ones came out and people bought them. Once companies realized "Hey, if I can make a Micky Mouse phone people will buy them"... Or just one that ISN'T shaped like every other phone. Huh... who would have thought people might think of a phone as a decoration or conversation piece. Hope the first guy that had that thought made some money.
Then the wireless ones... the tech didn't change as quickly but it did change.

Quote:
Have no conclusive data on number of Americans employed through the old Bell phone company and the ancillary businesses that supported them, but suspect modern telecommunication corporations employee less people.
Totally wrong on this one.
Samsung has an estimated 275,000 employees. Motorola 16,000. Apple 132,000. That's just 3 phone manufacturers. What about carriers? Verizon 144,500 ATT 273,000
Let's not even add in the 1,000 of Chinese jobs created by this industry.
This is STILL only the tip of the iceberg. There's an entire INDUSTRY that employees thousands if not a million people, in making and developing and marketing and selling: phone apps.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:45 AM

8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I would prefer to carry practically anything rather than a "smart" phone these days. In a crowd I am usually the only person who is actually watching where he's going.

I ignored the Pontius Pilot/Crackberry fad, and by ignoring it I was able to avoid spending money and time on that whole generation of now-obsolete technology; and now I'm ignoring the smartphone fad too.

Believe it or not, adoption of new technologies is much more a matter of choice than the vendors of such devices would want you to believe. Just remember, FOLLOW THE MONEY.
Well then exercise your personal choice. Don’t like smartphones, then don’t get one! Don’t criticize my choice to carry a pocket computer, which is my sole phone and camera. This smartphone “fad” as you put is going strong after 15 years. Some fad.

I love the fact that when I travel I don’t need to bring a laptop, a pile of books and maps or a camera. These items are all contained in my iPhone.

This post typed on my smartphone

Last edited by Mr5150; 05-07-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 03:13 PM

93 posts, read 27,620 times
Please folks. No reason to be coarse with one another. We all have our preferences and they are valid for us. In my OP just wanted to share some experiences/observations which seemed to be interesting to me, but others see things/think about things differently, and that's A-OK in my book. The important thing is that we go through our lives with tools we prefer to help make our day-to-day easier. I like feedback be it supportive or critical. It's all good as long as it's civil, and I've on occasion got heated-up on City Data Forum and the moderator had every right to nip my diatribe in the bud! (:

Old 05-10-2019, 06:49 AM

6 posts, read 2,142 times
I can not imagine my life without phone because it has become such an integral part of my everyday live.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,354,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post

Your thoughts? Old tech memories pro and con, the trade-offs and pluses? Where we are headed in age of fast shrinking natural resources and degradation of environment to the only home we have - planet earth.
I much prefer my smartphone showing me a map of where I'm going while reading off directions on where to turn, to the old alternative of holding up a folded paper map that covered the dashboard and required a passenger to act as navigator.

I also do not miss the old phone cords that were always tangled up. I don't miss having to run to answer the phone when it rang rather than simply answering a text at my convenience as I do now. I do not miss being completely out of touch when I had car trouble, and having to find a payphone somewhere in the dark to call for help. You get my drift. The convenience of smartphones is undeniable.

Not sure how smartphones are shrinking natural resources and degrading the environment...?

Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 AM

4,243 posts, read 12,765,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsopp123 View Post
I can not imagine my life without phone because it has become such an integral part of my everyday live.
That's one of my gripes, that it's perceived that life without a phone is no life at all. I am NOT condemning anyone for such an opinion and belief! We all can make our own choices without saying it's our way or the highway. For me personally - I reiterate for me personally - I want my brain to continue to be able to do math, be forced to figure out a tip or keep track of the costs of what I've put in my grocery cart without relying on some app to do it for me. I do carry a small calculator for when I question my brain. I personally want to keep my inner compass working and use logic and memory to drive from Point A to Point B without a device telling me to turn left or right. When I do need assistance I do have paper maps and a Garmin. It's just that for me personally I prefer not to have a mini-computer aka smartphone in my pocket that could break down my willpower too easily.

What is happening with advancing technology is that some of our choices are being removed, and some of us are being forced into a changing lifestyle that just doesn't fit our personality and needs. Would my particular lifestyle be improved by ditching my CDMA flippie for a smart flip phone? No, it wouldn't.

I don't refuse to move forward. I have an iPad and a Roku TV, and am thankful for each. But I also listen to vinyl records because the sound can't be beat by digitalization of old records - the original sound is the charm. But I also listen to CDs and playlists through Alexa - yes, I have an Echo Dot. I write letters and send cards through snailmail because who doesn't enjoy opening their USPS mailboxes to find something other than bills and junk mail? But I also send emails and e-cards.

The next part of my gripe is a selfish one, that when I am socializing with someone, I want all attention completely upon the conversation we are having. A phone sitting on a table or in hand, or any little ding or ring causing a person to dig it out of a pocket is annoying, and frankly, busts the ego, that I am not half as important as some random Facebook or Twitter update.

When I am on the phone with someone, and while I can admire abilities to multitask, I'd rather be talking to someone who isn't driving or grocery shopping or sifting through clothes at a department store. Old phones attached to a wall or sitting on a table generally forced people to have undistracted conversations. Was it really so awful to have to sit at a stool beneath a wallphone or have a long curly cord so that the handset of the bedside phone allowed stretching out on a bed?

I am neither old-fashioned nor ancient of age. But my needs are simple and I prefer to spend my hard-earned money on things that are, for me, necessities and priorities. I do not need a device that can take over things I can do myself nor one that has high definition anything. My flippie does all it is supposed to do, and clarity of voice is just fine - it's as crystal clear as necessary.

However, apparently I am holding up technological progress and to combat that I am being left in the dust without a choice except what is decided for me. And decided for many others, some of whom have no idea what will be happening in December. I found out only by happenstance when I stopped into Verizon last week to find out why my flippie had stopped sending and receiving texts. Assistance was only half-hearted since Verizon no longer supports nonVoLTE/nonHDvoice phones - there was surprise that I hadn't received a letter about the retirement of CDMA.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:13 AM

6,083 posts, read 2,762,253 times
I will just briefly dryly state that choosing to participate in succeeding generations of phone technology is a choice.

[Mod cut: trolling/personal attack]

Last edited by elnina; 05-13-2019 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones