U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 01:09 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,130,940 times

Advertisements

I've been waiting for Spectrum to allow for you to bring your own device (BYOD) and it finally appears to be on their webpage that it is now a possibility. Pretty much this service is for Spectrum internet customers because the cellular data will switch to Spectrum/TWC WiFi when available which should reduce their cost, and it's another way to bind you to their services.

From what I understand Spectrum runs off of Verizon's infrastructure and so I should expect to use a Verizon-compatible device and hopefully get Verizon-like quality. I'm just curious if others have tried it and whether or not you're happy with your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 07:13 PM

212 posts, read 52,485 times
it sucks. you are prioritized vs being a real VZW customer and there customer service is horrible to. and you can't use you phone in canada or mexico let alone call em without getting hit with international rates let alone roaming rates if you were to use your phone up in canada or mexico. you do not have your flavor of high speed data packages like you do with VZW i pay for the 75 GB with VZW. you can't walk into a spectrum store and pay your bill it's auto pay only. and if you cancel there internet then the bill goes up another $20.00. so it's not worth it to me

Old 05-11-2019, 07:59 PM

197 posts, read 75,388 times
Its a MVNO, Mobile Virtual Network Operator. What that means in terms of service, your data speeds are capped at 5-8 mbps, Verizon direct customers get 20-30 mbps typically. Also if the network is congested, Verizon direct customers get signal prioritization. Both of these so the MVNOs are not direct competitors of Verizon. So 5-8 mbps is adequate for most apps, web browsing, and email, and calls and texting hardly use any data at all. If you do large downloads or video, hopefully you have Wifi, as the 5-8 mbps speeds may not be fast enough for you. If you live in a congested urban or other area, or frequently go to large events at stadiums or like where at times Verizon does not have extra capacity, your calls may not go through (signal prioritization) or a slow down in your data speeds (if below 1-2 mbps, its slow 3G speeds). Also consider what kind of tech support you are going to get if you have an issue, some MVNOs are better than others. Also you may not get all of the bells and whistles of features being with a MVNO vs. being a Verizon direct customer.

I personally have not tried Spectrum's netowrk, but earlier this week switched to Charity Mobile https://www.charitymobile.com/ , another MVNO using Verizon Wireless's network. Better choice of phones, smart phones and flip phones, and better choice of plans than Spectrum, and cheaper prices for many people than Verizon direct. Though they are a faith based company, they have great customer service nonetheless (patient, kind, no sales pressure), similar to Chick-fil-a. During business hours including Saturdays, they answer the phone in person in 3-4 rings (no voice response menu stuff) and email responses within a day. They also allow BYOD, which they can check your phone's MEI # over the phone with them, and ported two phone numbers and phones completed within 45 minutes. Asking them some of the questions over the phone, either they knew the answers right away or came back with me on the phone within 1-2 minutes, plus lot of answers on their website FAQs. Some questions and answers I found or asked Charity by phone or email (or to ask any MVNO if important to you):
- NO throttling of data if go over plan data GB allowance - Yes, but pay 4 cents extra per MB used.
- Share Name ID (where your name shows up with your phone # when call a landline phone) - No
- Receive paper bill AND/OR pay online with all major credit/debit cards - Yes, more info including auto-pay or not https://www.charitymobile.com/support-ebillautopay.html
-*72 (call forwarding all calls) and *71 (call forward busy no answer) - Yes
- Disable text messaging (on older family member's line) - Yes
- Network Extender (boosting weak cell signal) - No
- A 4G LTE network, but their SIM card also supports the older CDMA network until year end - Yes
- Special rates/plans for international calls - believe No, not mentioned in FAQs, and did not ask as was not important to me. Options for that through Google Voice or ureach.com, both which I use when on occasion I need to make a call outside of the USA at cheaper rates.
Using my BYOD phone bought from Verizon direct last year with Charity Mobile's service, but replaced a relative's old 3G flip phone which they shipped and got with USPS Priority Mail. Depending on whether this customer service experience, technical support help, and extra features are important to you or not, should also your guide your decision to sign up with any MVNO or not, Spectrum, Charity, or someone else.

Last edited by sprklcl; 05-11-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Its a MVNO, Mobile Virtual Network Operator. What that means in terms of service, your data speeds are capped at 5-8 mbps, Verizon direct customers get 20-30 mbps typically. Also if the network is congested, Verizon direct customers get signal prioritization. Both of these so the MVNOs are not direct competitors of Verizon. So 5-8 mbps is adequate for most apps, web browsing, and email, and calls and texting hardly use any data at all. If you do large downloads or video, hopefully you have Wifi, as the 5-8 mbps speeds may not be fast enough for you. If you live in a congested urban or other area, or frequently go to large events at stadiums or like where at times Verizon does not have extra capacity, your calls may not go through (signal prioritization) or a slow down in your data speeds (if below 1-2 mbps, its slow 3G speeds). Also consider what kind of tech support you are going to get if you have an issue, some MVNOs are better than others. Also you may not get all of the bells and whistles of features being with a MVNO vs. being a Verizon direct customer.

I personally have not tried Spectrum's netowrk, but earlier this week switched to Charity Mobile https://www.charitymobile.com/ , another MVNO using Verizon Wireless's network. Better choice of phones, smart phones and flip phones, and better choice of plans than Spectrum, and cheaper prices for many people than Verizon direct. Though they are a faith based company, they have great customer service nonetheless (patient, kind, no sales pressure), similar to Chick-fil-a. During business hours including Saturdays, they answer the phone in person in 3-4 rings (no voice response menu) and email responses within a day. They also allow BYOD, which they can check your phone's MEI # over the phone with them, and ported two phone numbers and phones completed within 45 minutes. Asking them some of the questions over the phone, either they knew the answers right away or came back with me on the phone within 1-2 minutes, plus lot of answers on the website FAQs. Some questions I asked them:
-*72 (call forwarding all calls) and *73 (call forward busy no answer) - Yes
- Disable text messaging on older family member's line - Yes
- Network Extender (boosting weak cell signal) - No
- Share Name ID - No (where your name shows up with your phone # when call a landline phone) - No
- A 4G LTE network, but their SIM card supports CDMA until year end - Yes
- Receive paper bill and pay online - Yes
- NO throttling of data if go over data allowance - Yes, but pay few cents extra per MB used.
Used my BYOD phone bought last year with their service, but replaced a relative's 3G flip phone which they shipped and got with USPS Priority Mail. Depending on whether this customer service experience, technical support help, and extra features are important to you or not, should also your guide your decision to sign up with any MVNO or not, Spectrum, Charity, or someone else.
i hate to beg to differ with you about only getting 20-30 MBPS on verizon maybe on spectrum since there an MVNO
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone try Spectrum (TWC) Mobile?-screenshot_20190504-093005-1-.png  

Old 05-11-2019, 08:48 PM

Over 90 mbps, that's fast. Are you on 5G instead of 4G? A friend's phone, a 4G Verizon Wireless direct phone, at the city ballpark stadium got 180 mbps recently where Verizon rolled out 5G.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 AM

[quote=sprklcl;55158427]- Special rates/plans for international calls - believe No, not mentioned in FAQs, and did not ask as was not important to me. Options for that through Google Voice or ureach.com, both which I use when on occasion I need to make a call outside of the USA at cheaper rates.

Standing corrected, https://www.charitymobile.com/plans.html 'We now offer lower rates for calls to Canada and Mexico, as well as other international destinations! Click here https://www.charitymobile.com/intlrates.html to search for per-minute rates for international calls.'

Old 05-13-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Over 90 mbps, that's fast. Are you on 5G instead of 4G? A friend's phone, a 4G Verizon Wireless direct phone, at the city ballpark stadium got 180 mbps recently where Verizon rolled out 5G.
that's on 4G LTE. in 5G the speeds are close to a gig down. but verizons 5G network still isn't real 5G as they need software updates

Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
and that's living in los angeles you can only wonder how congested the networks are out here. though i am on the above unlimited plan and not the go unlimited plan. so wich means i get 75 GB of data a month without being prioritized unlike to go unlimited wich you can get prioritized anytime the network is congested!!!

Last edited by sxmfan2018; 05-13-2019 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-16-2019, 04:51 PM

https://twitter.com/hashtag/FirstToRealTime?src=hash

verizons 5G hitting over i gig DL speeds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones