Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,638,678 times

Advertisements

It may take 5 years to become widespread in the US but hopefully it will be able to be used for home wifi and the cable monopolies will become a thing of the past for home internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM

16,460 posts, read 19,490,320 times
You're very optimistic.
So instead of Spectrum for Internet, you'd rather pay Verizon?
Frying pan > fire.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 PM

34,121 posts, read 18,373,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're very optimistic.
Frying pan > fire.
I think what he is saying is that more competition for cable companies that provided high speed internet service is a good thing as it will give people alternatives to Comcast and Verizon and drive prices down. Satellite internet service is not yet reliable, at least from people I have talked to about it. If cell providers can get internet speeds at or near what Comcast and Verizon provides it will be a game changer.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:01 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,638,678 times
Quote:
You're very optimistic.
Frying pan > fire.
Sure if they can offer the same and actually faster service since 5G will be faster than my current Comcast internetwhich is only 50 Mbps and for the same price I would switch. I have problems with the Wifi dropping several times a day and them raising prices whenever they want with little to no other options.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...-a-speed-test/

and in a few years it won't only be Verizon, they will all get in the game.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,476,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I think what he is saying is that more competition for cable companies that provided high speed internet service is a good thing as it will give people alternatives to Comcast and Verizon and drive prices down. Satellite internet service is not yet reliable, at least from people I have talked to about it. If cell providers can get internet speeds at or near what Comcast and Verizon provides it will be a game changer.
That will only work if phone companies remove data caps-usually at 22 gigs in today’s world. I have Comcast cable internet and have no cap on monthly usage.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 AM

17,615 posts, read 15,321,679 times
The costs will remain prohibitive. The cell companies have huge costs to recoup for network upgrades/rollouts. Guess who pays for those costs?

Very different cost model than broadband cable on existing infrastructure.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:30 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,394,153 times
The phone company will have the advantage on this one, since they're the ones making the investment. But some people will still stick with the cable company, for fixed internet, as there are some advantages to that model. Not needing to rely on fixed internet with a router will be good, but it won't be cheap.

Keep in mind that 5G does not travel as far as 4G, from the cell phone tower. The cost of adding additional towers into the infrastructure will be passed on to the consumer. Infrastructural costs, in general, will be passed onto the consumer. 5G may be unlimited, but might also be like $120 a month.

The only good thing to come out of this is that the costs for unlimited 4G should go down. Maybe to $20 or $30 a month. After a while, there won't be as many people using the 4G towers, so companies should be able to get rid of deprioritization on those towers.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:39 PM

325 posts, read 161,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
That will only work if phone companies remove data caps-usually at 22 gigs in today’s world. I have Comcast cable internet and have no cap on monthly usage.
there are no data caps with verizons 5G service. and the samsung S10 5G is hitting close to 2 GB downloads speeds in my area as well as the whole home router and modem are even faster. with little to no latency

Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
The phone company will have the advantage on this one, since they're the ones making the investment. But some people will still stick with the cable company, for fixed internet, as there are some advantages to that model. Not needing to rely on fixed internet with a router will be good, but it won't be cheap.

Keep in mind that 5G does not travel as far as 4G, from the cell phone tower. The cost of adding additional towers into the infrastructure will be passed on to the consumer. Infrastructural costs, in general, will be passed onto the consumer. 5G may be unlimited, but might also be like $120 a month.

The only good thing to come out of this is that the costs for unlimited 4G should go down. Maybe to $20 or $30 a month. After a while, there won't be as many people using the 4G towers, so companies should be able to get rid of deprioritization on those towers.
and the bad thing once more and more start using 5G they will be screaming for 6G. once 5G starts getting filled up it will slow down

Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
You're very optimistic.
Frying pan > fire.
hmmm 70.00 a month for spectrums crappy 100 mbps package vs verizons package for 5G whole home yea they say 300 mbps to a gig belive me it's faster than that most of the time i'm at 8-10 GB download speeds. and there's alot of varibles in there as well like how close to the tower you are as i have one right out my window so i get excellent service!!! and there's like no latency. there's no way in hell i would pay spectrum 200.00 to have em set up there gig service. this was a no brainer. free install first 3 months free free chrome cast or apple tv free 3 months of youtube tv free hardware upgrades for the first year. you don't own the modem and router verizon owns them!!! and no rental fee's and no taxes!!! the apple tv or the chrome cast are yours to keep though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones