U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 07:27 PM

7,881 posts, read 11,937,825 times

Advertisements

So, I have a new phone, an LG G6.

So, I've only had this thing a month maybe less.

And I think I put 3 apps on it. Then yesterday, I had to add a must have app to it, and it said the memory was full.

WTH? I've never had this happen with my previous smartphones.

So, I went and deleted some apps like Candy Crush and Booking.com, garbage like that, but of course ... most of the apps are default, so even after cleaning house, I'm still just over 3 GB (phone has 4GB memory).

I've googled around and I guess operating on 3 of 4 GB is fine, but keep in mind, I've cleaned house on all of the apps on a NEW phone.

So, eventually, when I start adding apps I want, I suspect that I'm going to have to delete other ones I want.

This is just weird, I've never had this problem before and my previous phone had only 3 GB of ram. WTH?

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 08:52 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,331,405 times
Do you have a lot of photos or videos stored in the phone?

Old 05-28-2019, 04:57 AM

197 posts, read 75,388 times
jobaba,
Having a LG G7 myself, same series of phone as you,
- first go clear out the cache on the phone. Settings icon -> Storage -> Internal storage -> Free up space -> Temporary files & raw files > select Cached data > Delete button
- Go to Google Chrome browser icon > once browser opens, click three little up/down dots in upper right corner of browser screen > History > Clear browsing data > decide on next screen which one(s) or all three of the items to keep checked > Clear data button
- Go back to Settings icon -> Apps & notifications > select Apps info > this will list all of the apps on the phone. Review each one, some you can Uninstall, others you can Disable and set back to factory version saving a bit of memory (cell carrier installed software), and others you cannot Disable which are critical for the phone to run. Before uninstalling or disabling any software, and if you are unsure what it is, Google search it to make a decision on each.
- Also can install a phone storage cleaner as I have from the Google Play Store, Clean Master Lite (free with ads) which you can further clear the phone's cache. Select big Scan button on home screen.

If that does not do it, post here how many GB your phone is 16 GB, 32 GB, etc. My G7 is 64 GB, but if you only have a 16 GB phone, you can well run into memory storage issues. Also possibly your phone has a virus or malware, Clean Master Lite can basically check that too, clicking Antivirus toward bottom of the app home screen. If still issues, post again, we may be able to help, or if not, direct you to a free tech support forum elsewhere with experts.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:14 AM

39,912 posts, read 57,741,604 times
After you did all that ^^^ - thank you sprklcl, great list of tasks!
Would you, OP consider to use web bookmarks instead of apps, when possible?
Ex. instead of downloading FaceBook, just bookmark the website. When you save a bookmark, there's an option to save it to your home screen. After you have two or more of them there, just drag one over the other and - voila - you have a folder full of links on your home screen. You can group them and name the folder.
I do that when I can, and it saves lots of space and battery.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 AM

197 posts, read 75,388 times
I found the specs on the LG G6 here https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=5417 having 32GB memory, with appx. 21GB available to user. jobaba, if you can go back to Settings icon -> Storage -> Internal storage, it should say something like this at the top, ##% in big circle, ##.## GB in use, ##.## GB free, 32 GB total. Also down at the bottom of the same screen, look for the item System, it should say ## GB (used by the operating System). This info will help us further troubleshoot your issue if/as needed.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
So, I have a new phone, an LG G6.
This is just weird, I've never had this problem before and my previous phone had only 3 GB of ram. WTH?
First of all, RAM is not where apps and photos are installed.
2nd, if you've really only installed a few apps, then that it not the problem here. MOST apps are pretty small.

sprklcl's post is OK but none of that is going to clear a significant amount of space. Also do NOT install a 3rd party "cleaner app". Honestly, 95% of those are battery sucking, space taking, garbage.
The only one I would recommend is FILES BY GOOGLE: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...apps.nbu.files
This is a file browser that will also clear space for you.

Bottom line is the #1 reason people run out of space, and by a HUGE HUGE HUGE margin, are photos and music stored on the phone. And being that the G6 is a good phone with a 32GB minimum of STORAGE, apps are NOT your problem, I assure you.

Can you share a screenshot here of what it looks like when you go to SETTNGS > STORAGE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or