U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:14 PM

8,676 posts, read 9,448,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
Why the heck is the default feature enabled to send my geotag with photos??? I've been communicating wiht craigslist buyers sending photos back and forth, how the heck can Apple assume that I want every stranger to know my exact address where I took the picture. Why is this feature default "on"??? I just found out now that iPhone is just sending my exact address wtih each photo, unbeknownst to me, and I gotta go out of my way to turn this off.

With all the talk of privacy, I cannot believe that the geotagging on photos is automatically set to on.

BS.
Why the heck would anyone get a phone and not go through the settings to set things up to one’s liking ??? This is not an Apple issue. Nor would it be an android issue. It is a user issue. I turned off location on my photos years ago. Easy to do on my iPhone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 AM

11,818 posts, read 13,959,030 times
To be fair, on older Android Operating Systems, I believe Marshmallow and prior, there was no indication that this setting is on. Not the case today.
Not sure what to say about iPhones but as others have said ON has been the default.... since 2007.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:28 PM

181 posts, read 42,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Of all the pictures taken by phone-cameras, what percentage are personal pictures, where location is irrelevant or greatly desired, vs pics being sent to strangers?
IMHO this factory default setting makes sense.
If you don't want the pictures to have location data, you can either temporarily disable your GPS & cell-location service. If your phone doesn't know where it is, then it can't imprint that info into the pic's metadata, OR adjust the settings in the camera software.

Thats fine, but they need to let people know that this is automatic and needs to be disabled.

while its fine if people want to be an open book to the world, for the ones who want to be private, this is a big deal, especially if you have a dangerous stalker or something else going on.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:30 PM

181 posts, read 42,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Why the heck would anyone get a phone and not go through the settings to set things up to one’s liking ??? This is not an Apple issue. Nor would it be an android issue. It is a user issue. I turned off location on my photos years ago. Easy to do on my iPhone.

I had no idea that geotagging was automatic and included on pictures that I'd send over email and iMessage. I went through all the privacy workflows I could find but missed this one.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:55 PM

13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenCopeland View Post
Thats fine, but they need to let people know that this is automatic and needs to be disabled.

while its fine if people want to be an open book to the world, for the ones who want to be private, this is a big deal, especially if you have a dangerous stalker or something else going on.
Whenever they release a new version of iOS, dozens, and maybe even more than that, articles are published and they usually have information about privacy features. Apple does have info on it's website but you have to go and read it. Most people don't read the manual or look these up, but the info is out there.

For example: https://www.apple.com/privacy/manage-your-privacy/

Quote:
Sometimes it’s useful for your device to know your location, like when you’re setting up meetings in Calendar or getting directions. Location Services uses a combination of GPS, Bluetooth, and crowd-sourced Wi-Fi hotspots and mobile towers to figure out where you are. Apple gives you control over the collection and use of this location data on all your devices. You have to make the choice to enable Location Services — it’s not on by default. Once you turn it on, you can always change your mind and turn it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or