U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:00 PM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I'm very old fashioned when it comes to technology stuff. I have an iphone 5 that I only use for phone calls, text messages, and checking the internet. Thats about all I ever use it for. I don't really use any of the other apps or features. But all of my friends and coworkers constantly ridicule me for not upgrading to a newer phone. So I'm trying to understand the logic of spending hundreds of dollars on a newer phone if I already have one that works fine. Is there something that I'm not understanding? Why do I need to keep upgrading?
If you haven't, pop a new battery in there. Nothing more annoying than a phone that only makes it until 2:00 before running out of battery. Otherwise keep rocking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 09:34 PM

14,385 posts, read 21,063,143 times
I would look at replacing the 5 with a used SE.
I bought a SE (still have it ) because it supports Apple Pay and the 5 did not.
Gazelle.com is selling SEs for $150.

Rumor mill says: SE replacement will be available in November 2020.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 PM

13,820 posts, read 14,063,988 times
Um, how old are you and how old is the crowd you run with? They sound kind of like dicks. I've got an iPhone 6s that i thought i would have to replace for a while because I'm a technoboob. I had just started listening to podcasts, and subscribed to a bunch. I did not realize they were all downloading to my phone and eating all the storage until a friend inspected it. I felt like a *******, but I'd been really upset about having to shell out for one.

The iPhone 6S is perfectly fine for my purposes, and I will hold on to this one as long as I can. But if I get a new one, I'm going to get one of the higher-end versions. With how advanced phones are these days, they are handling most of the functions of my computer. I can actually do about 30% of my job on my phone if necessary given how much time I spend composing emails and attending conference calls. It's worth it for me to get a top-of-the-line phone, even if I don't want the company paying for it (because then the contents are theirs).

I get my news on my phone, surf facebook, listen to music (spotify and pandora), play the occasional puzzle game, read ebooks, listen to podcasts, text friends and manage my finances. Smartphones are awesome. But how awesome do you really need one to be?

There is no reason to replace your phone unless it's not doing what you want it to. If it is, hang on to it. It's that simple.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:45 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I'm very old fashioned when it comes to technology stuff. I have an iphone 5 that I only use for phone calls, text messages, and checking the internet. Thats about all I ever use it for. I don't really use any of the other apps or features. But all of my friends and coworkers constantly ridicule me for not upgrading to a newer phone. So I'm trying to understand the logic of spending hundreds of dollars on a newer phone if I already have one that works fine. Is there something that I'm not understanding? Why do I need to keep upgrading?
The only reasons to keep upgrading are, because you must have the latest and greatest, societal pressure that you can’t resist or the iPhone 5 isn’t doing the job you require.

I had a 5 years ago and it did all I wanted, but I switched carriers and went to a 6. Quite the jump up in performance and camera quality! We both have the iPhone 7 now which does all we want and more. Bought two for less than what a Xs costs. (Got them last year) Performance and camera is way better than the 5 and almost as good as the X. I live in a world where one is not judged by the phone one uses

Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 PM

120 posts, read 29,519 times
My 5s works fine. Why would I want to spend so much on something that I can lose or break?

Old 06-07-2019, 06:44 PM

4,301 posts, read 2,734,897 times
Yeah, I'll never spend a lot on something so easily lost.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:12 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Oh It's Magic View Post
My 5s works fine. Why would I want to spend so much on something that I can lose or break?
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Yeah, I'll never spend a lot on something so easily lost.
Who loses their phone? Nobody I know including our 80 year friend! But dementia could be a cause.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:18 PM

2,862 posts, read 1,060,507 times
I bought an iPhone 5 when I retired a little over 5 years ago. At the time, it was the latest and greatest. I consider myself very tech-friendly but I also don't believe in upgrading just because upgrades are available. As long as I watch the storage, I'm happy with mine right now. I have two very good cameras so the one on the phone isn't my only option. I've had a few apps that I can't update because they're not compatible with my ancient phone but the current versions of the app still work.

When the sad day comes that I have to fork over money to replace it because it's stopped working, I'll probably look for one a couple of generations old.

Oh- and tell your colleagues that most discarded phones end up in landfills, leaking toxic chemicals into the environment. Replacing them every time the next great upgrade comes along is irresponsible.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 PM

2,620 posts, read 1,357,347 times
I don't see any reason to upgrade as long as the phone serves your needs. Also, don't forget that, when you do decide to get a new phone, you can get perfectly fine android phones for a fraction of the cost. Check some out here: https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...ess/2407749011

I paid $85.00 for my android phone several years ago, and it works great. My husband wonders why he forked out $600+ for a phone that does exactly the same things my cheapo phone does. The battery in mine lasts longer than his does too.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:31 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,331,405 times
Keep in mind that if the phone lacks the LTE frequencies supported by your carrier it will simply stop working, hence the reason for many who will need to replace their older phones.

It isn't happening overnight, but the carriers are already sending notices of the pending change on their network requiring phone upgrades for users with handsets that will become fancy paperweights in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or