U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 08:49 AM

441 posts, read 253,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think there is some confusion here that pre gets slower data then post. There is no speed differences between the two plans. I think some folks are getting prepaid mixed up with the big carriers "generic" services. Boost, Straight Talk, MetroPCS, Cricket... these are all owned by the major carriers. and the data speeds are not as fast. This is why they are cheaper.

They used to not offer the same phones but thats been changing.

There are some minor coverage issues with prepaid but if you live in a good coverage area you'll never have issues with that.
This is kinda what my son was told last night. He lives in the Cincinnati area and works at the airport. The man at Best Buy said he will not show any slowness nor will he have any reception issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 06:25 AM

1,241 posts, read 681,874 times
I lived in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area for many years. Verizon and AT&T have the best coverage, Sprint and T-Mobile somewhat less. I had Page Plus (Verizon) and then Tracfone (Verizon) and had coverage everywhere with good building penetration. My friend had T-Mobile and he got with poor building penetration and no signal outside the I-275 loop. He later switched to Tracfone (Verizon) because of those issues.

It really comes down to how much you actually use. Do you actually use 6 gigs, or do you just think you "need" it? If you truly use it, then native Verizon may be your best value. If you use less, like 1 or 2 gigs, you will get greater value from one of the many MVNOs.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:20 PM

91 posts, read 40,522 times
I have had both prepaid and postpaid. I would recommend postpaid if you live in or visit a rural area on a regular basis. In urban areas, service is virtually the same. This is based on my personal experience.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:44 PM

10,167 posts, read 10,491,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
Verizon prepaid is 6 gigs for $35 with the same deal for auto pay you get the $5 discount.
Verizon prepaid is 6 gigs for $40 with the same deal for auto pay you get the $5 discount.

I switched my parents from postpaid to prepaid to save them money.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:40 AM

441 posts, read 253,153 times
I am the original poster of this thread. Here is what we ended up doing. My son signed up for 15 gigs through Verizon prepaid with the $5 auto pay he pays $45 a month for 15 gigs (a promotion he can keep as long as he doesn't cancel or change it)

I looked into prepaid for us and with my husband's military discount and the fact we both are over 55 we signed up for their GO UNLIMITED 55+ LOYALTY with all the discounts and autopay it is going to be $86 + tax. It seems to be similar to the unlimited with prepaid. So we stayed with postpaid.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:27 PM

10,167 posts, read 10,491,558 times
Quote:
I It seems to be similar to the unlimited with prepaid. So we stayed with postpaid.
Prepaid seems to make a big difference if you are buying only one line. Most multi line postpaid plans are equivalent in price per phone to prepaid. Your Go UNLIMITED 55+ plan is $60 for one phone and $80 for two phones.

While there exist prepaid plans that give discounts for multi-users, most of them are aimed at single line customers.

Group plans of 2 or more users are why you still see that the bulk of customers are still on postpaid.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:31 PM

212 posts, read 52,485 times
Quote:
I’m a postpaid customer and never seen speeds you mentioned. Never at 100 mbps! The fastest I have seen is around the 41 mbps you mentioned that is prepaid. I wonder if it is where you live?
sorry i took so long to reply!!! i wonder also if it's the plan your on as well when i was on the go unlimited plan i was getting throttled left and right now i am on the above unlimited plan and i get 75 gigs of data to where i don't get throttled. i live in LA right now but you can only imagine how hard the towers are getting hit out here 24-7. i also wonder if you might need to call verizion and have them walk you though what they call a network reset on your cell.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:39 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,410,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The biggest single difference is with PREPAID you cannot finance a phone through Verizon. You have to pay full price. Otherwise it IS a great deal.

But, you can finance the phone in other ways. Want an Iphone, Apple store can finance it. We are paying 24 a month for my wifes' Iphone, and that includes Apple care, saved us 15 a month over Verizons payment and insurance.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:34 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
But, you can finance the phone in other ways. Want an Iphone, Apple store can finance it. We are paying 24 a month for my wifes' Iphone, and that includes Apple care, saved us 15 a month over Verizons payment and insurance.
Insurance? If it works for you that's ok. We have two phones and the number of times in the last seven years we needed insurance has been zero. Had square trade then three years ago realized we were throwing money away. We don’t tend to drop our iPhones on pavement once a month. Maybe because we are in our late 60s. I guess it's an age thing. As you get older your perception of your surroundings and equipment get sharper. Dropping phones seems to be a habit of our 37 year old daughter. Makes no sense. She doesn't even drink.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,257,899 times
Then you should get it OP.

Prepaid and Post Paid have the same speeds as long as they are the same company. Subsidiaries are generally slower, which explains Cricket Wireless, Boost Mobile, Virgin Wireless, Visible, etc. So with Verizon Prepaid and AT&T Prepaid you'll get the same speeds between prepaid and post paid.

No financing of cell phones used on prepaid. Typically, people use whatever $100 phone they give them. These are the type of phones you'll see in ugly packages at Best Buy, WalMart and Target. Decent phones you'll have to go to the website or into company stores. If you need to finance a phone, look at Trac or one of the many MVNOs they sell at WalMart, like Straight Talk. A few of these work off of Verizon towers, and you can make monthly payments until your phone is paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or