U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 02:46 PM

441 posts, read 253,153 times

Advertisements

The plans are so amazing with the prepaid. My Mom has the prepaid but rarely uses the data but to talk to her is just the same.

So what is the catch? Why such different prices. Almost seems crazy to stay with Verizon post paid for the price.

I am coming here to see what experiences you have had.

For 5 gigs with Verizon post paid it is $60 and if you sign up for auto pay you get a $5 discount.

But

Verizon prepaid is 6 gigs for $35 with the same deal for auto pay you get the $5 discount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 07:37 AM

212 posts, read 52,485 times
post paid customers will always have first priority when connecting to the tower then it goes prepaid and then mvno. post paid will always have faster data speeds than prepaid and mvno users. i know someone that uses verizon prepaid and there LTE speeds are 41mbps i'm a post paid customer and i hit 100 mbps in LTE mode, if you plan to travel alot your verizon prepaid phone won't roam on other networks like they do on post paid and there's no charge for that on post paid. i am also on the above unlimited plan so i pay extra to be put first in line for data speeds as where i am 4G is congested and i was getting throttled left and right on the go unlimited plan. also since i have the above unlimited 5G service is free and it has no data caps and no throttling!!!

Old 06-13-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmfan2018 View Post
post paid customers will always have first priority when connecting to the tower then it goes prepaid and then mvno. post paid will always have faster data speeds than prepaid and mvno users. i know someone that uses verizon prepaid and there LTE speeds are 41mbps i'm a post paid customer and i hit 100 mbps in LTE mode, if you plan to travel alot your verizon prepaid phone won't roam on other networks like they do on post paid and there's no charge for that on post paid. i am also on the above unlimited plan so i pay extra to be put first in line for data speeds as where i am 4G is congested and i was getting throttled left and right on the go unlimited plan. also since i have the above unlimited 5G service is free and it has no data caps and no throttling!!!
I’m a postpaid customer and never seen speeds you mentioned. Never at 100 mbps! The fastest I have seen is around the 41 mbps you mentioned that is prepaid. I wonder if it is where you live?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 AM

3,545 posts, read 5,680,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I’m a postpaid customer and never seen speeds you mentioned. Never at 100 mbps! The fastest I have seen is around the 41 mbps you mentioned that is prepaid. I wonder if it is where you live?
It definitely depends upon the towers that you connect to.

We travel full time and use a Verizon Jetpack as our main connection. Going through two years of speed tests, it looks like we average about 15 in most places, but we've seen north of 50 Mbps in a number of places (92 being our fastest). Generally less populated places have better speeds than more populated places do.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
The biggest single difference is with PREPAID you cannot finance a phone through Verizon. You have to pay full price. Otherwise it IS a great deal.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
you can look on here under the thread anyone try spectrum (twc ) mobile my speeds are posted there. yea where do you live i live in LA and you can only imagine how congested the towers are out here. i know when i had the go unlimited plan i was being throttled left and right when i had the go unlimited plan when i would hit a 4G LTE tower i thank god there's a 5G tower the server right outside my window!!!

Last edited by sxmfan2018; 06-13-2019 at 11:50 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 01:32 PM

and if you want the verizon 5G service when it comes to your area you'll need to have a post paid acct to get the discount

Old 06-13-2019, 06:13 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Slower data, less coverage, second tier service. I want the best from Verizon. We have two lines for $90 and one financed iPhone. Prepaid is fine if finances is tight

Old 06-13-2019, 08:26 PM

My son went with Verizon Prepaid 15 gigs at $50 and $5 auto pay. He bought an iphone X with cash.

He got a good deal at Best Buy and they told him that he will be happy with it.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Slower data, less coverage, second tier service. I want the best from Verizon. We have two lines for $90 and one financed iPhone. Prepaid is fine if finances is tight

I think there is some confusion here that pre gets slower data then post. There is no speed differences between the two plans. I think some folks are getting prepaid mixed up with the big carriers "generic" services. Boost, Straight Talk, MetroPCS, Cricket... these are all owned by the major carriers. and the data speeds are not as fast. This is why they are cheaper.

They used to not offer the same phones but thats been changing.

There are some minor coverage issues with prepaid but if you live in a good coverage area you'll never have issues with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or