U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 03:53 AM

5,511 posts, read 2,230,361 times

Advertisements

I did this some time ago (2014) and everything was transferred over from the previous cell phone I had to an Android phone in the AT&T store, same SIMM card and keeping my original AT&T service. It was an okay experience then, but I have since not been happy with the local AT&T stores with the way they do things...not much help available.

When I was looking at newer phones, I went to a Best Buy store (to suggest if available to you), and got an "LG Phoenix 3" Android phone. Well, it's fine, not sure if I love it, but was only $39.99, I think. Nice, but I don't need all the features and don't use it the way others would. The best part is that the female employee was very helpful, contacting AT&T by phone to transfer things over and set everything up for me right on the spot. (I had set up some prior phones myself at home after purchasing, but it was convenient that she handled it).

There are some phones that are AT&T-friendly and had done some research beforehand. I will tell you that for one thing, since Android is Google-based, everything (Apps, Sites) is so connected to that and need to have a Gmail address for. Though many sign up for it, after having had a Gmail address, I found I did not care for it. I am "old-school" and have prior email addresses, finding that some phones will allow email set up from other providers. (You may have that already, but just to mention).

I would like an Apple phone which family members use and would prefer since I am more used to Apple operating systems, though are expensive. They might help me out with and found that an iPhone is usable with AT&T service and can even pay as you go for the phone too, I think. However as I say, there are decent phones at a lower cost.

Anyway, you can check with any electronics store in your area for anything interested in, checking phone features and prices, beforehand.

Last edited by In2itive_1; 08-23-2019 at 04:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 10:34 AM

4,893 posts, read 2,502,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post

In some cases, if you went to another carrier with the same phone they may or may not allow you to activate it on their network. For instance, I have an unlocked European LG G4 phone that Verizon would not allow me to activate on their network despite the fact they sold the same phone model under their own label.
g.s.m. vs. c.d.m.a. ?

Old 06-22-2019, 10:41 AM

4,893 posts, read 2,502,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I went to a ATT store and learned that there is probably no way to transfer the contact data from my Nokia Windows phone to whatever new android phone I'll buy. Has anyone had this problem?

Also, what about battery life? Is this a factor when you buy a new phone? Which make/model has the reputation of long battery life? Again I'm leaning toward a Samsung, because I've read that they usually have lower SAR values.

Thanks again!
i use this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tacts&hl=en_US

if your windows fone can export to standard .vcf format then it should be easy.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:32 PM

4,752 posts, read 5,592,658 times
Thank you everyone (and I mean everyone).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
They lied to you. It is done routinely from one manufacturer to another. Most major stores can move the contact information from phone to phone with a device called a Cellbrite if it cannot be accomplished over the air through the cloud.
The staff (who may be a manager) told me that they used to have Cellbrite in the past but not any more. I asked if it's sold on the market, he showed me the price of a Cellbrite is like $600+ .

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
When I was looking at newer phones, I went to a Best Buy store (to suggest if available to you), and got an "LG Phoenix 3" Android phone. Well, it's fine, not sure if I love it, but was only $39.99, I think. Nice, but I don't need all the features and don't use it the way others would. The best part is that the female employee was very helpful, contacting AT&T by phone to transfer things over and set everything up for me right on the spot. (I had set up some prior phones myself at home after purchasing, but it was convenient that she handled it).

Actually I'm like you, not going to use the many features. The reason I lean toward Samsung is they have generally lower SAR (radiation measure). I looked up the specs for the LG Phoenix 3 and it has a high SAR. iPhones also have high SAR. Since I don't use cell phone a lot this concern may be uncalled for, I admit.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Actually I'm like you, not going to use the many features. The reason I lean toward Samsung is they have generally lower SAR (radiation measure). I looked up the specs for the LG Phoenix 3 and it has a high SAR. iPhones also have high SAR. Since I don't use cell phone a lot this concern may be uncalled for, I admit.
I hadn't been thinking about the SAR consideration, and I use so little, but I understand.

I've kept a low-cost "AT&T Go Phone" account for years, which is fine for me (I think they have changed the name for that service, now). As said, I use it much less than others would, for long-distance, a little emailing or texting, kept in purse for an emergency, using with WiFi only at home, if needed. I began using this kind of phone just since it is what is mostly available and utilized. (Since I use an iPad or computer and Land-line phone, it's not my main go-to device).

Old 06-23-2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I hadn't been thinking about the SAR consideration, and I use so little, but I understand.

I've kept a low-cost "AT&T Go Phone" account for years, which is fine for me (I think they have changed the name for that service, now). As said, I use it much less than others would, for long-distance, a little emailing or texting, kept in purse for an emergency, using with WiFi only at home, if needed. I began using this kind of phone just since it is what is mostly available and utilized. (Since I use an iPad or computer and Land-line phone, it's not my main go-to device).
So later this afternoon I went to a Best Buy and saw they had a LG Phoenix 4. Since you seem to be satisfied with the "3" for infrequent use, I might give the "4" a try, as it's about the cheapest. Will do a bit more research. What are the things you don't like about it? How's battery life? Thanks again!

Old 06-23-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
So later this afternoon I went to a Best Buy and saw they had a LG Phoenix 4. Since you seem to be satisfied with the "3" for infrequent use, I might give the "4" a try, as it's about the cheapest. Will do a bit more research. What are the things you don't like about it? How's battery life? Thanks again!
Oh, good. Well, it does seem the charge depletes more quickly and takes a bit longer to charge too than my previous phone, but as I say, I've used inconsistently and have had about 6 months. I don't really use apps, but still not familiar with everything available. I needed to download the instruction manual since it came with limited instructions and still not entirely used to navigating around all of the settings, but we always need to get accustomed to.

I feel the camera is not as great as the one on my last phone, but not a big issue. There are security features, notifications and settings to turn on or off which is good. The screen and the sound are clear, works efficiently and there appears to be many options to utilize, seeming good for the price. (I think it's just about feeling "in control of the device", which I have not spent enough time fiddling with to know everything about, but I think I will enjoy it). As said, if it were an Apple product, I would adapt to more easily.

As said, there are some phones compatible with the service so it's why I went with it and sounds like you need the same. This may not have been so helpful, but you might see reviews online. Hope whatever you decide works out well.

Old 06-23-2019, 08:52 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,257,899 times
Quote:
My current phone is Nokia windows phone. I need an Android phone for some apps, and would like to continue using AT&T as my mobile service provider. Where do I start looking for the new phone? I'm leaning toward a Samsung, though open to others.

I assume that if I just go into an ATT store, I won't get the best deal: limited choices, and staff will push me to buy an expensive one. OTOH, to browse online, I'm overwhelmed by the many makes and models and confused as well. Should I look for only phones that says "AT&T"? locked or unlocked?? etc, etc...

So where should I look to get the best deal?

Thanks in advance for any tips and help.
Nokia has Android phones.

If you get an unlocked phone make sure that it supports GSM, and whatever frequencies AT&T uses.

I don't care for the AT&T stores, limited choices, and they never have the cheap phones (although they'll always have one on display).

Or you can go prepaid and go to Best Buy or wherever and get your phones.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,257,899 times
Quote:
I went to a ATT store and learned that there is probably no way to transfer the contact data from my Nokia Windows phone to whatever new android phone I'll buy. Has anyone had this problem?

Also, what about battery life? Is this a factor when you buy a new phone? Which make/model has the reputation of long battery life? Again I'm leaning toward a Samsung, because I've read that they usually have lower SAR values.

Thanks again!
Open up Outlook.com, go to the menu next to the word Outlook in the upper left hand corner. Click on People.

Go to manage, click on Export contacts.

Save the contacts.csv file to your computer.

Open up Google Contacts, click on More, click on Import.

Select the contacts.csv file (it will look like an excel file)

Look for duplicates and merge changes

Restart your phone.

Go to Contacts and go to Groups, it should show "Imported on" and the date you performed these actions. Those are your contacts from your Windows Phone.

Your phone may also have this ability built into it. On my LG I just to go to Manage contacts, and tell it to copy contacts my from Hotmail address to the phone. But to do this method you need use your Hotmail or outlook address in the email client, Gmail, or an authentication app will also do the trick.

Last edited by goofy328; 06-23-2019 at 09:40 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
The screen and the sound are clear,

but you might see reviews online. Hope whatever you decide works out well.

The screen and sound are the least requirement so that's good to know. I've read reviews online, esp. the negative ones to see what issues people have. Multiple reviews mention seeing vertical lines on the screen, I hope it's not common. Most say it's a good starter phone for the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Open up Outlook.com, go to the menu next to the word Outlook in the upper left hand corner. Click on People.

Go to manage, click on Export contacts.

Save the contacts.csv file to your computer.

Open up Google Contacts, click on More, click on Import.

Select the contacts.csv file (it will look like an excel file)

Look for duplicates and merge changes

Restart your phone.

Go to Contacts and go to Groups, it should show "Imported on" and the date you performed these actions. Those are your contacts from your Windows Phone.

Your phone may also have this ability built into it. On my LG I just to go to Manage contacts, and tell it to copy contacts my from Hotmail address to the phone. But to do this method you need use your Hotmail or outlook address in the email client, Gmail, or an authentication app will also do the trick.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or