Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 10:12 AM

7,552 posts, read 8,591,270 times

Advertisements

So I bought the LG Phoenix 4 2 days ago and had it set up yesterday by ATT. Only paid for 40 bucks plus tax, even less than what I paid for the Nokia 4 years ago. Good not to feel a major expense for a new phone! Still trying to get familiar with the features (too many for my basic needs). I like its light weight, but it's very easy to slip from the hand and fall due to the thin and large shape (they obviously didn't consider this when designing it). Am going to get a non-slip sleeve for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 11:34 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,388,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
So I bought the LG Phoenix 4 2 days ago and had it set up yesterday by ATT. Only paid for 40 bucks plus tax, even less than what I paid for the Nokia 4 years ago. Good not to feel a major expense for a new phone! Still trying to get familiar with the features (too many for my basic needs). I like its light weight, but it's very easy to slip from the hand and fall due to the thin and large shape (they obviously didn't consider this when designing it). Am going to get a non-slip sleeve for it.
I have the Phoenix 4. Nice phone. Got updates too I'm running 8.1.0 and the last security patch was April 1. And this is on prepaid! Can't complain.

No sleeve but I do keep a screen protector on it. Phone has a plastic back, which I actually like, but as you say no traction. A lot of the budget LG phones are similar in that way. Double tap to wake up is one of their best features.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I have the Phoenix 4. Nice phone. Got updates too I'm running 8.1.0 and the last security patch was April 1. And this is on prepaid! Can't complain.

No sleeve but I do keep a screen protector on it. Phone has a plastic back, which I actually like, but as you say no traction. A lot of the budget LG phones are similar in that way. Double tap to wake up is one of their best features.

goofy328 or others who has LG Phoenix 4: In the picture attached (a screenshot of a video review of Phoenix 4), I drew a red circle on the top of the phone's screen. What are the two little things in that circle? They both look like pinhole lens, but the camera lens is on the back of the phone and much larger.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Need an android phone, and to keep ATT service, how to go abouit shopping?-phoenix4.jpg  

Old 07-03-2019, 07:05 AM

6,393 posts, read 10,189,044 times
More than likely you have the rear-facing camera lens and a foreword-facing camera lens.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
goofy328 or others who has LG Phoenix 4: In the picture attached (a screenshot of a video review of Phoenix 4), I drew a red circle on the top of the phone's screen. What are the two little things in that circle? They both look like pinhole lens, but the camera lens is on the back of the phone and much larger.

Thanks in advance.
Front facing camera.

The rear facing camera has a bigger sensor. Front facing camera you get 5 MP, Rear facing camera you get 8 MP. 1080p for video recording. Physically, the size of both cameras is the same. Not sure why LG has such a big cut out on the back for the camera.

You also have some apps you're stuck with. Chrome, Docs, Drive, Facebook, Gmail, Google, Google Play Movies & TV, Maps, myAT&T, Photos, Sheets, Slides, SmartWorld, all of LG's system apps, YouTube and Google Play Music. I've disabled everything except Google Play Music and YouTube. Google Keyboard is also an app you can't disable, they have it where you can't even see that app, but it is installed. Same with LG's keyboard, and the LG launchers.

16 GB of storage, but after the app situation you're down to like 9 GB. Also supports encryption on both the internal and the SD card, and you get regular system updates and security updates through AT&T. Oh and you also get Wi-Fi calling. Video calling should work on AT&T Post Paid if you know someone else on AT&T Post Paid and you want to video chat.

I got it for $35.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Front facing camera.

The rear facing camera has a bigger sensor. Front facing camera you get 5 MP, Rear facing camera you get 8 MP. 1080p for video recording. Physically, the size of both cameras is the same. Not sure why LG has such a big cut out on the back for the camera.

You also have some apps you're stuck with. Chrome, Docs, Drive, Facebook, Gmail, Google, Google Play Movies & TV, Maps, myAT&T, Photos, Sheets, Slides, SmartWorld, all of LG's system apps, YouTube and Google Play Music. I've disabled everything except Google Play Music and YouTube. Google Keyboard is also an app you can't disable, they have it where you can't even see that app, but it is installed. Same with LG's keyboard, and the LG launchers.

16 GB of storage, but after the app situation you're down to like 9 GB. Also supports encryption on both the internal and the SD card, and you get regular system updates and security updates through AT&T. Oh and you also get Wi-Fi calling. Video calling should work on AT&T Post Paid if you know someone else on AT&T Post Paid and you want to video chat.

I got it for $35.
Thanks for the info! So how to use the front lens? (How to control which lens to use?) ---ETA: I found it! I clicked on camera, then on top of the screen there are some stuffs to click on, and one is to switch between front and rear lens!

Also there are two little "holes" there, the left is slightly bigger than the right one. The right one is very tiny and enclosed in a long rounded rectangular frame. I suppose the larger one is lens, what is that little one?

Last edited by snowmountains; 07-03-2019 at 12:09 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! So how to use the front lens? (How to control which lens to use?)

Also there are two little "holes" there, the left is slightly bigger than the right one. The right one is very tiny and enclosed in a long rounded rectangular frame. I suppose the larger one is lens, what is that little one?
If you go into the camera app there's the fourth option at the top of the app before you're taking the picture. It is a symbol of a folder with two arrows. Directly to the left of the flash icon.

You might be talking about an proximity/light sensor in between the front camera and the call speaker. Lets you know how far the phone is from your ear, so it can turn the screen off during calls.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
If you go into the camera app there's the fourth option at the top of the app before you're taking the picture. It is a symbol of a folder with two arrows. Directly to the left of the flash icon.

You might be talking about an proximity/light sensor in between the front camera and the call speaker. Lets you know how far the phone is from your ear, so it can turn the screen off during calls.
I see, thanks! This phone really has a lot of features to be discovered (esp. for someone who only used a simple Nokia Lumia 635). Seems a general rule is that under a chosen function, there would be a settings on the top with the gear symbol that lets you do settings for that particular function. I can't fathom how many features those high end smartphones have (I really don't want so many so glad I didn't spend a fortune). $40 is well worth it for me.

I just bought a screen protector from ebay, 3 pack for $3, to protect the screen, as it's so easy to drop this slippy phone. Also ordered a sleeve on ebay waiting for delivery...

Last edited by snowmountains; 07-03-2019 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Also ordered a sleeve on ebay waiting for delivery...
Just received it (too late to edit the above post). It fits well, though it makes the phone thicker and larger and a bit heavier, but less slippery. I got it for less than $3:

One good thing about this sleeve is that it protects the rear lens as the lens no longer touches or rubs against the surface the phone is placed on.
Attached Thumbnails
Need an android phone, and to keep ATT service, how to go abouit shopping?-case.jpg  

Old 07-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
I see, thanks! This phone really has a lot of features to be discovered (esp. for someone who only used a simple Nokia Lumia 635). Seems a general rule is that under a chosen function, there would be a settings on the top with the gear symbol that lets you do settings for that particular function. I can't fathom how many features those high end smartphones have (I really don't want so many so glad I didn't spend a fortune). $40 is well worth it for me.

I just bought a screen protector from ebay, 3 pack for $3, to protect the screen, as it's so easy to drop this slippy phone. Also ordered a sleeve on ebay waiting for delivery...
I had a 635. That was a fun phone.

I don't use sleeves on plastic phones because it overheats the phone. Most times the phone will just shut off, but in my experience the phone gets too hot to touch. I had to drop a few phones doing that (literally). Glass phones are different. In my opinion the plastic phones aren't designed for it. The plastic tends to hold the heat in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones