Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:56 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,707,635 times

Advertisements

My current phone is Nokia windows phone. I need an Android phone for some apps, and would like to continue using AT&T as my mobile service provider. Where do I start looking for the new phone? I'm leaning toward a Samsung, though open to others.

I assume that if I just go into an ATT store, I won't get the best deal: limited choices, and staff will push me to buy an expensive one. OTOH, to browse online, I'm overwhelmed by the many makes and models and confused as well. Should I look for only phones that says "AT&T"? locked or unlocked?? etc, etc...

So where should I look to get the best deal?

Thanks in advance for any tips and help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 04:53 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
google "cell phone reviews", start researching. I'd buy an unlocked phone, capable of working on the AT&T platform from an internet seller (Amazon ?), get the SIM card from AT&T.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-19-2019, 06:03 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
reviewers say the oneplus 7 is the best cellular telefone currently available.

the google pixel 3a is cheaper but still decent.

mkbhd

Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
First of all, give those ATT people SOME credit. They really are not out to try and rip you off. If you tell them you don't want a $1,000 flagship phone they won't try to talk you into one.

Having said that, if you don't want the ultrahigh end, go with what Stanley said: Pixel 3A. It's THE budget phone to beat right now.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/google-pixel-3a-review/

The One Plus 7Pro is excellent too but it has those damned curved edges. Ew. ANd almost 2X the price of the new Pixel.

Pixel 3A all day.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM

Thanks. A dumb question: if I buy a phone that is Unlocked, does it mean I can use it on ATT and any other carriers, and can simply move my current sim card into it? (IOW in order to keep ATT plan, are these my only two choices: (1) Locked ATT phone, (2) Unlocked phone?)

Old 06-19-2019, 09:13 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Unlocked phones are a little more expensive. You can compare the difference at either a Best Buy store or online. Locked essentially means that the device is limited to the carrier you are using when the phone is activated and to use it on another carrier, you need to unlock the phone. There are certain eligibility requirements for the carrier to unlock your phone such as must be active for xx months, phone lease must be paid in full, no past due/outstanding bill to name a few.

In some cases, if you went to another carrier with the same phone they may or may not allow you to activate it on their network. For instance, I have an unlocked European LG G4 phone that Verizon would not allow me to activate on their network despite the fact they sold the same phone model under their own label.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:44 PM

I went to a ATT store and learned that there is probably no way to transfer the contact data from my Nokia Windows phone to whatever new android phone I'll buy. Has anyone had this problem?

Also, what about battery life? Is this a factor when you buy a new phone? Which make/model has the reputation of long battery life? Again I'm leaning toward a Samsung, because I've read that they usually have lower SAR values.

Thanks again!

Last edited by snowmountains; 06-21-2019 at 10:13 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
went to a ATT store and learned that there is probably no way to transfer the contact data from my Nokia Windows phone to whatever new android phone I'll buy. Has anyone had this problem?

Also, what about battery life? Is this a factor when you buy a new phone? Which make/model has the reputation of long battery life? Again I'm leaning toward a Samsung, because I've read that they usually have lower SAR values.

Thanks again!

https://www.recovery-android.com/win...-contacts.html

Try the link above ^^^^^ re the issue bolded above .

Old 06-21-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
https://www.recovery-android.com/win...-contacts.html

Try the link above ^^^^^ re the issue bolded above .
Thanks. Doesn't look very simple, but good to know there is a way.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:58 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I went to a ATT store and learned that there is probably no way to transfer the contact data from my Nokia Windows phone to whatever new android phone I'll buy.
They lied to you. It is done routinely from one manufacturer to another. Most major stores can move the contact information from phone to phone with a device called a Cellbrite if it cannot be accomplished over the air through the cloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones