U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2019, 07:34 AM
 
122 posts, read 144,163 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Are all those towers enabled?
Did OP just got the physical # of towers, or #of active towers?
As a fact I know of few towers that are just standing there, but completely out of business, because no one cares to take them down...
Those are operational towers as of logging. I know it because apps can communicate with them and the towers would send out their MCC, MNC, LAC and Cell ID.

And that is why I can use a map to show cell towers owned by any given carrier at any place. I suppose that would help people deciding which carrier to go.

For example, you can check this out to find cell towers from ATT https://bit.ly/2N6vN4h , zoom out to find more. In the meantime, you can click this link to find cell towers from all carriers at that same place, https://bit.ly/2YeCYrW . There you can see a lot of unregistered cell sites with MNC 127.

Thanks for your continuous help these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2019, 07:34 AM
 
7,147 posts, read 3,904,178 times
Reputation: 6696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Come visit me. I’ll be happy to loan you my Verizon phone to order a pizza. In the meantime we will use your Sprint phone as a paperweight till you go back to your urban home
Unfortunately one data point doesn’t make a trend.

Part of the coverage issue is if someone has an older phone without all of the latest bands. In the case of T-Mobile they added Band 71 coverage which is only available to phones which have it. In the case of the iPhone that’s only the last generation (XS/XS Max/XR)

This is what Band 71 added

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Reputation: 13850
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Unfortunately one data point doesn’t make a trend.

Part of the coverage issue is if someone has an older phone without all of the latest bands. In the case of T-Mobile they added Band 71 coverage which is only available to phones which have it. In the case of the iPhone that’s only the last generation (XS/XS Max/XR)

This is what Band 71 added

IMG]
While what you say is true, In CA and NV where I spend most of my time Sprint is consistent-useless once you leave urban areas. If you want something that works in rural areas, Verizon is best, with ATT as a good second choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2019, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,449 posts, read 6,328,246 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Come visit me. I’ll be happy to loan you my Verizon phone to order a pizza. In the meantime we will use your Sprint phone as a paperweight till you go back to your urban home
Coverage differs market to market. Don't make blanket comments that coverage is poor in all urban markets unless you can back it up. Just because you don't have coverage at your home doesn't mean that everyone in your area, even if using the same carrier, will have the same experience. Too many factors involved to throw the entire carrier under the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2019, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
6,502 posts, read 6,255,149 times
Reputation: 3693
Verizon came out of AT&T. Could it be that AT&T has other carriers using their infrastructure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2019, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Reputation: 13850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
While what you say is true, In CA and NV where I spend most of my time Sprint is consistent-useless once you leave urban areas. If you want something that works in rural areas, Verizon is best, with ATT as a good second choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Coverage differs market to market. Don't make blanket comments that coverage is poor in all urban markets unless you can back it up. Just because you don't have coverage at your home doesn't mean that everyone in your area, even if using the same carrier, will have the same experience. Too many factors involved to throw the entire carrier under the bus.
Who is talking urban markets? I don’t live in an urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Ocala, FL
3,449 posts, read 6,328,246 times
Reputation: 3076
My mistake, I was responding to post #7. I used the wrong terminology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2019, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Sierra Nevada Land, CA
8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Reputation: 13850
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
My mistake, I was responding to post #7. I used the wrong terminology.
No worries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2019, 08:07 AM
 
7,147 posts, read 3,904,178 times
Reputation: 6696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
While what you say is true, In CA and NV where I spend most of my time Sprint is consistent-useless once you leave urban areas. If you want something that works in rural areas, Verizon is best, with ATT as a good second choice
I can’t comment on Sprint other than anecdotally from what I have heard. My example was with T-Mobile.

If you are really rural then the 1% of coverage difference means you get a signal rather than none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2019, 08:18 AM
 
6,078 posts, read 2,762,253 times
Reputation: 17284
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlanguide View Post
I have more than 10 millions of cell towers collected in database, after doing my maths (based on mobile network code), I have found that ATT has way more cell towers than Verizon. Is this normal? The numbers are as follows.

Verizon =>1,147,446 cell towers
AT&T =>2,180,539 cell towers

I think I may have not counted some cell towers whose MNC are unknown to me, which in fact belong to Verizon. Could this be the reason?

Thanks
I would guess that AT&T have more towers than Verizon because they have built, bought, or leased more towers than Verizon have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top