Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 01:13 PM

280 posts, read 307,473 times

Advertisements

I needed a new phone so while browsing the store last night I brought this.

Moto E5 Go.

The picture I had in my hand was Moto E5 Play,but the Go was all the had in stock do I brought that.

My old phone was a LG Optimus Zone 3 Prepaid. It has lasted two and a half years.

Basically before I activate my new phone is a Go fine for my needs or should I take it back and try to get the Play?

I'm on a wifi only plan. No data. I just talk and text and watch Netflix and a rare Youtube. Is a Go fine for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:01 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
I'd take it back.

It's basically the same phone but the Go is Verizon's ultra cheap version of the Play with 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB. That's really not sufficient RAM. Otherwise they're the same which is pretty bad.

Should be fine for talk/text and probably Netflix. The big problem is it's a turtle of a phone, but if you're watching a 30 minute Netflix episode taking an extra few seconds doesn't really matter the way it does if you're flipping back and forth between apps where it's infuriating.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:59 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
It only has 1 GB of RAM because it is a Go phone, which uses light apps that provide basic functionality. A 1 GB Go phone has more storage left over than a similarly spec regular Android phone. The apps are supposed to be more efficient. I used to be heavy into Windows Phone 8.1, which was very similar to Go, and they had similar apps. We used to call these apps web wrappers, because they run in a web browser but you interact with them as though they were regular apps.

Problem with 1 GB is that it isn't designed to keep the apps in RAM. So you'll do a lot of switching, which means that apps will be pushed out of RAM, just to move them back in when you use them again. Especially on 1 GB RAM. I still run lite apps on a regular phone when possible, because the cache for regular apps takes up a lot of the phone's resources. The time you lose dumping and reloading apps, you would be better off with a 2 GB phone that keeps the apps loaded.

It isn't a total loss though. Google Maps Go and Navigation for Google Maps Go use Chrome as the engine to provide mapping functionality on Go phones. I think the Go ecosystem is great, but I don't like the fact that a lot of the apps, you can't use on traditional phones. Google Maps Go seems to be the only option, for regular Android phones.

The extra $14 is worth it for an extra GB of RAM, in my opinion. You can get by with 1 GB on stuff other than Android, but I would not do anything less than 2 GB on Android. Even though Android Go is a step in that direction, these phones should be selling for much, much, less, like $40 - $60.

Last edited by goofy328; 06-29-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones