U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:39 AM

6,103 posts, read 2,771,054 times

Advertisements

Well, given that you're talking about a speaker probably 1/4" in diameter, I think you'll be wanting to know "which phone has the least bad sound quality", actually.

And a lot of issues are related to the connection. For sound quality you can't beat a direct connection made using copper wire. Of course, that would limit the utility of your cell phone, just a wee bit.

When you consider that the input signal comes from a crappy little microphone, also probably 1/4" max. diameter, then goes through who knows how many different processing steps, then transmitted by a cheap little transmitter, gets transmitted from repeater to repeater to repeater, then received by a receiver in your phone that's also a cheap little thing, then re-processed, and finally turned into sound by a crappy little speaker, the wonder is that you can make out what the other person's saying at all. The remarkable thing isn't that it works well, but that it works at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 AM

3,450 posts, read 6,331,405 times
OP, for the best sound on a cell phone, get a good pair of headphones with a dedicated microphone. As pointed out by turf3, there are several factors affecting the sound quality of any cell phone. Just learn the limitations of any technology.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:29 PM

1,269 posts, read 1,618,160 times
OP,

You don't mention your age, but, could part of the problem be a decrease in your hearing? I refused to use cell phones for years and only used a landline with copper wiring. The landline was fine unless the person I was talking to was on a cell phone or using a speaker phone. Eventually even using a landline was an issue because most of the people calling me were on cell phones.

I finally ended up with hearing aids with Bluetooth that works with a hearing aid app on an iPhone 7. All my calls I hear directly thru my hearing aids. Life changing! The hearing aids corrected my hearing issues to 96% of normal hearing. It was never an issue with a cell phone, it had been an issue with my hearing loss. My hearing aids cost about 6K, but, worth every penny. Have had the hearing aids and an iPhone 7 for 21 months now and love them and my iPhone 7.

You might want to consider taking a free hearing aid test that most audiologists offer to see if the issue is your hearing. At least that way you will be able to determine if the issue is associated with the phone or if it is because of hearing loss.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:52 PM

722 posts, read 185,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
OP,

You don't mention your age, but, could part of the problem be a decrease in your hearing? I refused to use cell phones for years and only used a landline with copper wiring. The landline was fine unless the person I was talking to was on a cell phone or using a speaker phone. Eventually even using a landline was an issue because most of the people calling me were on cell phones.

I finally ended up with hearing aids with Bluetooth that works with a hearing aid app on an iPhone 7. All my calls I hear directly thru my hearing aids. Life changing! The hearing aids corrected my hearing issues to 96% of normal hearing. It was never an issue with a cell phone, it had been an issue with my hearing loss. My hearing aids cost about 6K, but, worth every penny. Have had the hearing aids and an iPhone 7 for 21 months now and love them and my iPhone 7.

You might want to consider taking a free hearing aid test that most audiologists offer to see if the issue is your hearing. At least that way you will be able to determine if the issue is associated with the phone or if it is because of hearing loss.
Thanks for the concern, but I have such acute hearing that I am plagued with hearing attenuated sounds and nuances that other friends and family can't.

But, I will also admit to being a sonic snob. Friends come to me for advice for how to improve their home theater and stereo systems.

I even detected a sound problem with a radio station I listen to, reported to the station manager and the station engineer admitted to a problem with their broadcasting equipment.

I guess that is my 'problem' - too demanding. Oh well.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:06 PM

39,912 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Have Pixel phone and make calls from overseas. People sound like standing next to me. The connection quality is superb, also over headphones. No static, no need to raise a voice.

HTC U11 sound quality is seriously brilliant. Probably the best.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 PM

43,992 posts, read 53,835,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
No cell phone is as good as an old fashion landline.
Having said that, they are still pretty good today. You are super picky. And that's ok.
I have a portable landline, a direct line landline, and a Galaxy S8.

Most of the time, not much of a difference. At work, the landline far outperforms the stupid iphones we are forced to use.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:04 AM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
A portable landline? You mean a cordless phone?

Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 AM

39,912 posts, read 57,741,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
A portable landline? You mean a cordless phone?
Is there anything else?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:25 AM

3,450 posts, read 6,331,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is there anything else?
Sure there is, a 50' retractile cable plugged into the wall.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:12 PM

212 posts, read 52,485 times
i have an S10 5G phone and it sounds great to me and it's loud and i am on verizon. it has HD voice on board as well. and i learned that when i am in 5G mode then my calls go over the 5G network and not the 4G network. though even in 4G the phone sounds damm good!!! though it should for the price tag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or