U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 01:34 PM

1,688 posts, read 5,747,144 times

Advertisements

So, my 2016 Pixel is a great phone but the battery life has become abysmal. I am considering paying a “reputable” cell phone repair service to replace it. It’s so much cheaper than buying a new phone. I am considering wiping my phone clean then taking it in for the installation of the new battery. I would imagine the quality of the repair varies from shop to shop. I’m curious if anyone has had this done. A few years ago I tried replacing my battery in another phone while watching a video but ended up bricking my phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 01:59 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Had it done for an employee. It made zero difference. Battery life still bad.
Going to factory reset it next.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:07 AM

122 posts, read 144,218 times
I bought a third-party battery from an online shop a while ago for my Mi 6, and wow the battery life is as great as I first grabbed the phone.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:22 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
Battery life will gradually get worse as it is used, and as it ages. All depending on the capacity and quality of the original battery. From what I've heard and experiences, 1-2 years is a pretty reasonable lifetime for a phone battery. IE: My Samsung G4 is exactly 6 years old and I'm on my 3rd battery.

From a Pixel battery replacement DIY page: "With daily use, a typical battery will last around 18-24 months before losing significant capacity. If your phone has to be recharged constantly or turns off suddenly, replacing the battery may be a solution."

But I've also sometimes experienced very fast battery drain, and have used various apps to reveal which app was excessively draining my battery. IE: without even being activated, the Walmart main shopping app would drain my battery in about 3 hours unless I manually did a Force Stop. I eventually uninstalled that and a few other apps that seemed to use a lot of background power.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Reset phone today. I'll report back if it helped.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 263 times
Default Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
Battery life will gradually get worse as it is used, and as it ages. All depending on the capacity and quality of the original battery. From what I've heard and experiences, 1-2 years is a pretty reasonable lifetime for a phone battery. IE: My Samsung G4 is exactly 6 years old and I'm on my 3rd battery.

From a Pixel battery replacement DIY page: "With daily use, a typical battery will last around 18-24 months before losing significant capacity. If your phone has to be recharged constantly or turns off suddenly, replacing the battery may be a solution."

But I've also sometimes experienced very fast battery drain, and have used various apps to reveal which app was excessively draining my battery. IE: without even being activated, the Walmart main shopping app would drain my battery in about 3 hours unless I manually did a Force Stop. I eventually uninstalled that and a few other apps that seemed to use a lot of background power.

Very helpful tip.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:45 PM

Resetting the phone made a big difference. Battery life is WAY better.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:48 PM

3,450 posts, read 6,331,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Resetting the phone made a big difference. Battery life is WAY better.
More than likely that would mean that there were applications/services on the phone using battery power, wanted or not, and resetting the phone cleared up those items.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:14 AM

All the same apps were reinstalled though. I think I probably could have gotten the same result clearing the data and cache instead of a full on wipe.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 AM

5,374 posts, read 11,281,537 times
On many phones, the replacing of the battery is a simple procedure.
Just make sure the phone is truly "off" before you do anything.
- Remove the back of the case, and pull the battery out ...
- Replace with the new battery and do a full charge overnight.

Always buy from a reputable battery company. Do a reference search.

All batteries have a maximum recharge number throughout their life.
The closer you get to that number, the shorter the battery life gets.

Best way to charge is each night, a couple of hours before bedtime, with the factory-provided charger, then stop when I see above 80%.
I seldom charge to 100%!
I always turn the phone completely "off" before I go to sleep!

Third-party chargers are often not that good, to begin with...
On mine, by the time I get to bed, the level of charge is always below 30% or less.
Good enough for me! My battery is about 3 years old now.
If the battery life is above 70%, I do not recharge!!!

When I use the GPS function (in the car) I always plug it in to keep charging.
The GPS function eats up battery power and I also turn off the voice control, which eats up my allowance for data quantity.

Another way to save battery life is to turn off all background programs often during the day...
On mine, I do check the task manager and turn off all background programmes.

Another way is to load a battery saver like "Greenify"

HTH?

Last edited by irman; 07-21-2019 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or