U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 03:48 AM

39 posts, read 18,222 times

Advertisements

I have been a long time user of Tracfone. I have always used just the basic phone and only for emergencies and limited texting really.

I used to be able to buy, say a 60 minute card, and I would never get emails about nearly running out of "service days" and having to add more days. Now, I'm starting to get this.

I just added 30 minutes to the phone along with 30 "service days". I don't use up my minutes before the days are expiring (I have 224 minutes!).

It seems to me that Tracfone has greatly reduced "service days" in an effort to get folks to have to keep buying cards and adding to the phone (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

I'd like to keep the phone, but if I'm going to have to buy a card every month just to add "service days", it completely defeats the purpose of having an emergency and limited use phone (plus I am on a limited income).

Anyone else running into this and what's the solution? Unless I can remedy it, I think it might be time to look for another provider.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 06:10 AM

15,005 posts, read 12,203,564 times
I liked the first TracFone's that were made by Motorola and sold for $10. Then I made the mistake of buying one of the $20 (ZTE) flip phones. the first one kept track of my minutes and I could see when I was getting low. The ZTE keeps everything a secret. I think I did find the minutes online after many attempts; but it is frustrating. For a while I kept running out of minutes and then, all of a sudden, I had three quarters of a year's worth of time!

If you look for new TracFones on line it looks like they want us to buy the more expensive models - but that is not what built the company. I'm pretty annoyed by their current selection of phones and I will shop around before I buy another one.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 AM

That happened to me, fisheye! After I thought I had lost my current flip phone, which always showed minutes and such, I went out and bought another on sale for like $10. I transferred my number and minutes over to the new phone, but I didn't like that I didn't know the minutes, plus there were other things about the phone that I thought made it seem even more primitive than my current phone. Then, suddenly, I found my old phone. I called Tracfone back and had them switch everything back to the old phone. It took them a LONG time to do this, but I finally had my old phone back.

I thought the whole reason behind Tracfone's philosophy was to "pay as you go". Whatever's going on with this "service day" issue I don't like because I'll never use the minutes up before the service days end. As I said, I have like 224 minutes, but only 39 service days. Service days never used to be an issue, but if I have to start shelling out at least $10/ month just to get 30 service days each time, this plan won't be worth it.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Just to update that I called Tracfone about this issue. Turns out that with only 30 minutes, you get just 30 service days. Any card with more minutes than that you get more service days i.e. if I purchase the 60 min card, I get 90 service days which I can live with. I think that's how it's always been. I was thrown off by the fact that I bought the 30 min online this time and didn't just buy the 60 min card in the store like I always do. Needless to say, I won't buy 30 min online again.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:19 PM

1,241 posts, read 680,932 times
If you have a branded Tracfone you should be able to buy the 1 year service days add-on for $49.99 on the website. That gives you 365 service days for $50, but no minutes.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,695,521 times
I'm a long time user of Tracfone and don't recall there ever being just a minute criteria. There's always been a rime criteria associated with the usage.

The reason some of the phones need replacement is that they are 2G phones, which is quickly disappearing as a service level. 3g is disappearing almost as fast. I rarely use a cell phone, so I have a Tracfone. I buy time quarterly online for $23 (total), and have 1,500+ minutes. They have 30, 60, 90 and 365 day plans.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:07 AM

2,310 posts, read 1,577,673 times
Whatever are you talking about? We've had Tracfones since 2005, and "Service Days" along with minutes has ALWAYS been their plan.

It's nothing new at all. That's why they do "carry-over", provided you pay for additional service days when (or before) that expires.

I buy 1 YEAR cards, so I get 1 years worth of minutes, and 1 years worth of "Service Days". It would suck to buy a card every single month. That's not a good plan, unless you just need a burner phone for a short time.

Perhaps you signed up for an Tracfone email account on their website, and they are now sending you emails to buy additional service days or whatever. That's just marketing, and to keep you aware. If you don't need any, just delete the emails.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:20 AM

10,164 posts, read 10,484,699 times
To the best of knowledge, there are no cellular companies that will let you buy X amount of minutes, and let you burn down the minutes as slowly as you want. There are people who would purchase 1000 minutes and then take four years to use them up.

Unsupported Browser / Navegador Desactualizado | Page Plus Cellular
Page Plus Cellular does have a plan that you can buy through authorized dealers only, for $80 which is good for 1 year and provides 1333 MINUTES. If you truly only use 3-4 minutes per day, this is the cheapest cellular phone plan in existence.

They do have a regular plan which does not require a "dealer" so you can buy at a grocery store, which is $50 for 120 days (833 minutes). So that is 7 minutes per day.

Page Plus Cellular is owned by Tracfone Inc.

Personally, I pay $240 per year for unlimited minutes and 500 texts per month. It's a false economy for me to pay $150 per year for 7 minutes per day. The phone is of much more use to me that makes it worth the extra $90 per year.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-23-2019 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-23-2019, 03:28 PM

4,256 posts, read 8,013,612 times
Best Tracfone deal is one that comes with a phone. Bought the Moto E5 for $80 with 1,500 talk minutes, 1,5000 text minutes, and 6GB of data for one service year. These deals pop up all the times at HSN, etc.

Of course tracfone is best for light users.

There are others who provide better deals than Tracfone, but many don't stay in business for long. I am staying with Tracfone for now because they have a large customer base which means they can stay business.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:04 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,253,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
To the best of knowledge, there are no cellular companies that will let you buy X amount of minutes, and let you burn down the minutes as slowly as you want. There are people who would purchase 1000 minutes and then take four years to use them up.

Unsupported Browser / Navegador Desactualizado | Page Plus Cellular
Page Plus Cellular does have a plan that you can buy through authorized dealers only, for $80 which is good for 1 year and provides 1333 MINUTES. If you truly only use 3-4 minutes per day, this is the cheapest cellular phone plan in existence.

They do have a regular plan which does not require a "dealer" so you can buy at a grocery store, which is $50 for 120 days (833 minutes). So that is 7 minutes per day.

Page Plus Cellular is owned by Tracfone Inc.

Personally, I pay $240 per year for unlimited minutes and 500 texts per month. It's a false economy for me to pay $150 per year for 7 minutes per day. The phone is of much more use to me that makes it worth the extra $90 per year.
AT&T Prepaid allows you to do this on the 25 cent plan. That is a really expensive plan, but you can park your number with that plan. I believe the number expires if you do not use it for a year if you pay $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones