U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 10:28 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,257,899 times

Advertisements

New Tracfone plans provide unlimited calling and texting with unlimited carryover. Basically this means you can just sit on your data for a change. How many billing cycles the data carries over I don't know, but I like the unlimited calling and texting part.

This is interesting. I'm on AT&T Prepaid and I have to pay $35 a month to get 1 GB of data. That data carries over one billing cycle. I'm on the unlimited plan, which is $65 a month, which I'll stay on because I always use the data but I can see where the Tracfone plan would be attractive to someone because you only have to pay $20 a month with them and you can get that same 1 GB a month. That is the cheapest 1 GB available that I know of.

Cheapest AT&T Prepaid scenario is their deal with WalMart where you get 25 GB for the same price they give everyone else 8 GB. That still requires a commitment of $50 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 03:54 PM

1,241 posts, read 681,874 times
Tracfone has "unlimited carry-over", so all minutes/texts/data carries over on all their "plans". You can buy extra data separately for $10/GB, which also carries over forever so you keep it until you use it. Nothing is ever lost unless your phone is deactivated due to not being used once every 6 months or if you run out of service days.

And Tracfone offers Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile networks, so you can choose which network works best for you.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:41 PM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
New Tracfone plans provide unlimited calling and texting with unlimited carryover. Basically this means you can just sit on your data for a change. How many billing cycles the data carries over I don't know, but I like the unlimited calling and texting part.

This is interesting. I'm on AT&T Prepaid and I have to pay $35 a month to get 1 GB of data. That data carries over one billing cycle. I'm on the unlimited plan, which is $65 a month, which I'll stay on because I always use the data but I can see where the Tracfone plan would be attractive to someone because you only have to pay $20 a month with them and you can get that same 1 GB a month. That is the cheapest 1 GB available that I know of.

Cheapest AT&T Prepaid scenario is their deal with WalMart where you get 25 GB for the same price they give everyone else 8 GB. That still requires a commitment of $50 a month.
I don’t see any huge savings. We have two lines with Verizon. 4gigs unlimited talk and text for $90 a month. Meets our needs. But I guess if you were on welfare, saving $10 a month would matter

Old 08-25-2019, 10:12 PM

10,167 posts, read 10,491,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
You can buy extra data separately for $10/GB, which also carries over forever so you keep it until you use it.

Obviously Tracfone is not going to sell you a 20 GB or 30 GB plan since they make their profit on the $10/GB.

$30 30 SERVICE DAYS Unlimited TALK & TEXT 3.0 GB DATA
$25 30 SERVICE DAYS Unlimited TALK & TEXT 2.0 GB DATA
$20 30 SERVICE DAYS Unlimited TALK & TEXT 1.0 GB DATA

However, if you are disciplined and only used data for e-mails, and directions, and some web browsing, that is a terrific deal.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:52 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,725,846 times
Red Pocket Mobile has very competitive rates to that - and you can also choose which network you want (ATT, Verizon, etc).

$15 1000 talk/ unlimited text, 1GB data
$19 Unlimited talk/text 1GB
$30 Unlimited talk/text 5GB
$40 Unlimited talk/text 10GB
etc....

They also offer cheaper options via Ebay and Amazon if you pay for a year at a time. For example, you can get the 5Gb plan listed above for $20/mo if you are willing to pay $240 at once for a 365-day card on ebay. Or the $19/mo plan for $14.08 with a yearly card.

https://www.redpocket.com/plans

Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 AM

20,543 posts, read 20,523,898 times
Quote:
Tracfone has "unlimited carry-over", so all minutes/texts/data carries over on all their "plans". You can buy extra data separately for $10/GB, which also carries over forever so you keep it until you use it. Nothing is ever lost unless your phone is deactivated due to not being used once every 6 months or if you run out of service days.

And Tracfone offers Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile networks, so you can choose which network works best for you.
Even then you may not lose it. I missed the date once and ran out of days but when I reinstated, all my accumulated minutes were added back

Old 08-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Obviously Tracfone is not going to sell you a 20 GB or 30 GB plan since they make their profit on the $10/GB.

$30 30 SERVICE DAYS Unlimited TALK & TEXT 3.0 GB DATA
$25 30 SERVICE DAYS Unlimited TALK & TEXT 2.0 GB DATA
$20 30 SERVICE DAYS Unlimited TALK & TEXT 1.0 GB DATA

However, if you are disciplined and only used data for e-mails, and directions, and some web browsing, that is a terrific deal.
Thank you. The sarcasm and cynicism on the smartphones forum, I don't even know why I bother. I just wanted to make people aware of it because for some people, that extra $10 does matter. I've been in that situation before. Clearly, for those looking at prepaid, $20 compared to $35 is a big deal.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I don’t see any huge savings. We have two lines with Verizon. 4gigs unlimited talk and text for $90 a month. Meets our needs. But I guess if you were on welfare, saving $10 a month would matter
Since you decided to take it there chances are someone on welfare has unlimited data and paying more than you are for 4 GB per line. Most people on welfare have better phones than I do.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:48 AM

1,241 posts, read 681,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Even then you may not lose it. I missed the date once and ran out of days but when I reinstated, all my accumulated minutes were added back
Good to know. I had heard that there is a grace period within which you can reinstate your account and recover your bucket balances (min/texts/data), but I'm not sure how long that grace period is.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:

You're referring to Tracfone's classic plans. This is probably aimed at people that are likely to jump to VoIP providers like TextNow, Republic Wireless, or Ting, than anyone dealing with the cellular providers directly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or