Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 07:54 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times

Advertisements

I am a current Android phone user and I have a random question (and maybe I'm overthinking this).

Traveling to Europe next month and plan to buy an Orange sim card to use overseas. Great price compared to paying for an international plan from a US carrier.

I have a spare, brand new, Moto phone that I'm going to drop the sim card in. I won the phone in a raffle and it's not as good as my Samsung so should something happen to it, I'm not going to be upset. My question is, when setting up this phone, since I will have a different phone number and will be using different apps abroad, should I use a different google sign in? Is there any potential issue to using my current google sign in on a separate phone?

Like I said maybe I'm overthinking it, but if something should happen I don't want it to interfere with my current phone. I'm a Republic Wireless customer so I can use my current phone while on WiFi (worldwide) for calls, etc. and will be using the backup phone with the Orange sim solely for maps and other "on the go" needs.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Having a WiFi setup is not going to be useful when “on the go”. Your phone will work in Europe if you have a quad band GSM phone.

As for international plans, I’m with Verizon and they have a plan, that for $10 a day I can use my US Phone with my Verizon data, text and calling plan ,as is, anywhere. My thinking is OK, I’m spending $6000 to go to Europe for 10 days, so for a $100 I can use my phone, number and data plan as if I was in the US. Listen, if you are taking a trip to Europe and can’t afford an international plan, maybe you can’t afford to go to Europe. What’s a $100 when you are already spending $6000?

Having two phones sounds like a bother. I’ve never lost a phone while traveling or otherwise.

Last edited by Mr5150; 08-28-2019 at 09:02 AM..

Old 08-28-2019, 09:57 AM

5,345 posts, read 3,214,825 times
That wasn't my question, and I addressed that my current service would not work "on the go", hence the second phone. Two phones is not a bother to me, since I will only be carrying the one. The spouse's phone is a work phone and we are not keen on using a work phone abroad (even if we do reimburse them for the coverage). I've never lost a phone abroad either, but that is neither here nor there.

In any event, back to my original question, is there any downside to configuring a second phone with the same Google ID as my current daily driver?

Old 08-28-2019, 10:15 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,382,105 times
I don't see any issue with using the same login. I have multiple devices and use the same Google account with no problems.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
No issues. I have many phones signed into the same Google account.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:01 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
While I do 100% agree with 5150, he\she has Republic Wireless which does not work AT ALL outside the US on cellular.

Everyone else is right. BUT when you login to spare phone it will add all your apps from current phone.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:54 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
The Google account system keeps track of the devices it is connected to.
I have my account connected to my phone, my tablet, and I can go on-line to my Google Account settings and see those plus past (now abandoned) devices.

If you're going to take both phones, your Sam to use only with WiFi, and the Moto for local voice & data, (aka Maps), then don't forget to take chargers for both!

Set up the Moto at home a few days before you leave, as it may take a while to download apps and such, all done best on a fast & secure home-WiFi.

You might also want to review your pre- departure tweaking.
Confirm the Moto gets all your contacts transferred, and your calendar.
Also, I use Waze and Google Maps for my Nav, and gMaps allows me to download map data to the phone, (if the phone has the space). That way while driving around, the phone can still Nav even if it looses the data signal. (Local info isn't included to save space, but the road info could be handy).

There are probably other things you can do. Surf around for traveler's tips. Like maybe taking a pic of your passport and copy it to your Moto, and also to the cloud, so if it gets lost, you'd have the image when trying to replace it. Ditto tickets, reservations, pics of your luggage, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones