U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2019, 08:34 AM

5,987 posts, read 8,453,319 times

Advertisements

I have TracFone now, but are there any other pay-as-you-go plans? I want to get a new phone after a while, but TracFone doesn't have the newest phones that go with their plan. But I refuse to pay a set $30 or even $20/mo.

I'd like to get the Moto G7 android (or something equally as good with Pie operating system). I also want to keep my phone #.

Any other plans? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 08:52 AM

Meant to put in the Cell phone area. Can a mod please move it over, thanks a lot.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 PM

1,241 posts, read 681,874 times
I answered your post in the other thread before I saw this thread.

There are other MVNOs (resellers) that have PAYGO plans. It would depend on your usage and what network you would want to be on. Tracfone is the largest company and has pretty flexible options, though.

You can buy almost any phone and put it on Tracfone. You don't have to buy direct from them. They do sell phones bundled with airtime on hsn and qvc a lot, and they are usually very good deals.

But if you have your heart set on a Moto G7, you could buy one new from Motorola, or a used one off eBay, for example, and transfer your phone number and Tracfone service to it directly.

Old 08-27-2019, 12:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 970,095 times
I have Republic wireless, pay as you go. Bought phone from them. Looks like you can use your own phone now. Never had an issue. Although my niece moved to a very rural area and coverage wasn't so great there, only Sprint had good coverage so she had to switch.

https://republicwireless.com/

Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM

Thanks a lot so far guys.

So ANY phone will work w/ Tracfone or any carrier company I want? Well OK!

Izzie1213, thanks, I'll bookmark in case I need it.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:14 PM

2,179 posts, read 970,095 times
Please note the cheapest plans are for text and talk only, you can use wifi for online stuff when you have access to one. I have wifi at home. If you want to access the internet with phone without having wifi access, going on line, emails and such you need to purchase data, which is pay as you go monthly also, there is no limitless plan, you pay per gigabyte. The phone/text also uses wifi first if available then uses network cellphone access when no WiFi. It's not a big deal to not have data unless you need it.

My son switched over to buying data a few years ago because he needed for bus schedules to and from work and Google maps. He is not a big data user any way. I don't have data, sometimes wish I did but can add it anytime I want/need but otherwise just wifi only access is fine with me

Old 08-28-2019, 10:11 AM

8,680 posts, read 9,455,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I have Republic wireless, pay as you go. Bought phone from them. Looks like you can use your own phone now. Never had an issue. Although my niece moved to a very rural area and coverage wasn't so great there, only Sprint had good coverage so she had to switch.

https://republicwireless.com/
I had to laugh when I clicked the link and they claimed I’d save $1200 a year. Since I pay $90 a month for two lines plus data with Verizon, to be truthful, I would receive a $10 check each month plus free service from Republic if I switched to them!

Old 08-29-2019, 03:55 PM

10,167 posts, read 10,491,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
My son switched over to buying data a few years ago because he needed for bus schedules to and from work and Google maps. He is not a big data user any way. I don't have data, sometimes wish I did but can add it anytime I want/need but otherwise just wifi only access is fine with me
A little bit of data or just enough to access maps or get an emergency e-mail can be a lifesaver. Also traffic apps like Waze could save you hours by warning you of an accident.

People who watch TV or update facebook on the road are not very thrifty.

On the other hand for single people, it may make more sense to have unlimited cellular data than to have limited cellular data and WiFi at home.

Old 09-01-2019, 08:14 AM

6,502 posts, read 6,257,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
A little bit of data or just enough to access maps or get an emergency e-mail can be a lifesaver. Also traffic apps like Waze could save you hours by warning you of an accident.

People who watch TV or update facebook on the road are not very thrifty.

On the other hand for single people, it may make more sense to have unlimited cellular data than to have limited cellular data and WiFi at home.
It does.

Before my current arrangement, where they pay for internet, I had a limited plan and I would pay for AT&T WatchTV, which was like $17 a month but the data was not counted so I could use WatchTV as much as I wanted. I recommend it if you're a tight budget. You could get the cheapest AT&T Prepaid plan and WatchTV for like $50 a month. Just don't waste your 1 GB of data on something else!

Last edited by goofy328; 09-01-2019 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones