U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 07:53 PM

39,906 posts, read 57,726,659 times

Advertisements

You will send the photos directly from Google Photos website. Same thing, you will not even see the difference.
If you have some pictures on Google Photos already, try to send a pic to someone and see how it works.
Don't you have any friends who could SHOW you how it works? Because, obviously, you don't believe what you READ ...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 04:57 AM

Your laptop has only 15GB space? How old it is?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-02-2019, 08:59 PM

128 posts, read 28,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Your laptop has only 15GB space? How old it is?
It's 5 years old.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:54 AM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,250 posts, read 1,720,612 times
Reporting back...

Before I posted my original message, I had already deleted every single one of my photos/videos (including the "recycle basket") and set up the iCloud Photo Library.

I followed elnina's suggestion to back up my phone to iCloud. I had repeated trouble getting the backup to complete, so I ended up purchasing the $2.99 50GB option. Not a big deal, but it seemed to be my only option. Once I did that, the backup completed normally.

I deleted the apps I never use, plus Messenger (the biggest memory hog), which freed 2.52GB of my ~12GB storage.

I cleared the Safari cache and re-started my phone. That brought me to 2.56GB.

I'm ready to delete, then reinstall Facebook, but I have a dilemma I need to address first. I use an app, Tape-A-Call, to record client interviews (with their permission). These files usually range in size from 2GB to 5GB, depending on length of conversation. I used to transfer them to my PC via Messenger (messaging them to myself, then saving to HD). Without Messenger, I thought I could install Google Drive as a means to transfer them. When I attempt to install Google Drive, the app store tells me I need iOS of 11 or later. My iOS is 10.3.4, and it says that's current/up to date. I'm assuming this means that the highest iOS my 5s can run is 10.3.4. Is this correct?

If that's the case, then I'm afraid to delete Facebook, because it may (probably) require 11 or later, too. Can anyone advise?

Also, is there a way to transfer, via USB, those Tape-A-Call files? When I connect to my PC and go to ERH's iPhone, it only gives me folders for photos.

I am immensely grateful for your help!

Old 09-09-2019, 01:46 PM

14,385 posts, read 21,058,877 times
You are going to need to replace your iPhone soon as the next release of iOS will not support the 5S
A used SE would be a good choice.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:43 PM

13,325 posts, read 20,371,757 times
What about Dropbox. Does it also require the latest os? Probably does. An iphone SE (as suggested above) or an iphone 6s or 7 should work for cheap.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:07 PM

What happened to the "Messenger (2.91GB) and Spotify (2.19GB)"
Clean those (backup to the cloud, pictures to Google Photos and your own laptop hard drive, or a memory stick)
That will free about 5 GB of 12 GB available. It should help a lot.
You might want to try update from here:
iOS 12.4.1 Update Available to Download Now [IPSW Links]
Scroll down, find your iPhone model and try to download it.

If you can't - follow these directions:
https://macreports.com/how-to-instal...rsions-of-ios/
Report back

Last edited by elnina; 09-10-2019 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or