U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 11:54 AM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,250 posts, read 1,720,266 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance, because I am stupid when it comes to mobile devices. My ancient iPhone has been struggling a lot lately, as it has reached its max GB (~12GB). There are 3 apps that use the most memory: Messenger (2.91GB), Spotify (2.19GB), and a business app I use (1.29GB).

The biggest memory hog is Messenger at 2.91GB; no doubt, because my family and I share a lot of photos. If I delete the app, then reinstall, does it give me a clean slate on memory, or does it simply revert back to include everything it has now?

I know I need to upgrade, as this one is 5+ years old, but I want to make sure there's nothing else I can do first.

Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 05:24 PM

128 posts, read 28,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I apologize in advance, because I am stupid when it comes to mobile devices. My ancient iPhone has been struggling a lot lately, as it has reached its max GB (~12GB). There are 3 apps that use the most memory: Messenger (2.91GB), Spotify (2.19GB), and a business app I use (1.29GB).

The biggest memory hog is Messenger at 2.91GB; no doubt, because my family and I share a lot of photos. If I delete the app, then reinstall, does it give me a clean slate on memory, or does it simply revert back to include everything it has now?

I know I need to upgrade, as this one is 5+ years old, but I want to make sure there's nothing else I can do first.

Help?

I'm in the same situation but I don't have an I-Phone, but an Android. My cell phone provider told me I need to email my photos to myself, but I can't do that. I have 1,000s of photos. If I would put my photos in albums would that help. Or what else could I do? Could my other apps be the problems because my photos have reached a limit? And my phone also says: free up 32.22 GB from device. What does this mean?

Old 08-31-2019, 07:23 PM

39,892 posts, read 57,710,982 times
Quote:

Help?
I don't have iPhone but those are pretty much universal rules.

First of all and before you do anything, you need to BACK-UP your phone.
Through your iTunes account, you have 5GB of free iCloud storage, so it would be foolish not to take advantage of it.
Go to Settings > iCloud and select items to store in your iCloud space, such as photos, emails, or contacts.
Don't know how?
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203977

Now you can start with cleaning:
1. Go through every single app that you have downloaded and delete unused apps.
Open Settings > Tap General > Select iPhone Storage
Move through the list and tap the apps that say "never used" and delete them.

2. Clear Safari cache
Go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data, then restart your phone.
If you want to preserve the cookies from your favorite sites, click "Advanced" to see all of the sites that have placed cookies on your iPhone then click "Edit" to delete them one by one.

3. Do you have Facebook? Delete it and reinstall again. Don't worry this won’t delete any of your data, just your cache.

4. Delete any widgets and animated homepage.

5. Photos and videos:
First: turn off "My Phone Stream" to avoid storing photos from your other devices on your phone.

One of the best ways to save space is to keep your pictures in the cloud.
Open "Settings" > Select "Photos" > Turn "iCloud Photos" on.
Check the option to Optimize iPhone Storage.
Make sure you don't have the option to "Download and keep originals on."
Check the box to "Upload to My Photo Stream."

Also advisable to delete duplicates and all photos you don't want to store anywhere. Yes, we all have those.
Go to main "Photos" tab and hit "Select", then hit delete.
Do the same with screenshots.
Oooops happened and you want to "undelete" deleted photo?
Go to Photos > Albums > Other Albums and select Recently Deleted, you'll have all of your image deletions from the past months. Touch "Recover"

Don't want your photos on cloud?
You could connect iPhone to computer with the USB cable, and copy these photos and videos from iPhone Camera Roll to computer.

6. Music:
Delete music you don't listen to.
Open Spotify. >Tap the "Home" button on the bottom-left > Choose "Storage" > Select "Delete Cache"
This will free up storage but won't delete all of your music.

7. Clear out old iMessage clutter:
Check and get rid of large attachments by doing this:
Open "Settings" > Tap "General" > Select "iPhone Storage" > Tap "Messages" > Select "Review Large Attachments"
Delete the ones you don’t need that take up the most space.
https://www.pcmag.com/article/295176...iphone-or-ipad

Go to Settings > Messages > Keep messages, then set a storage period: 30 days or one year. If you'd like to keep some old conversations, delete the photos in them to free up some space.

and emails:
Delete unimportant emails on a regular basis or delete and reinstall your email account in order to delete the cache.

8. iTunes updates
Handle your iOS updates on a computer through iTunes rather than directly on your iPhone. Also, turning off your iPhone regularly helps to eliminate as many residual files as possible.

TIP: One more useful and simple option to increase the performance of your iPhone is to restart it on regular intervals as restarting your iPhone also clean up all the cache and junk files stored there temporarily.

Now reboot your phone and check the memory again.
Report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
I'm in the same situation but I don't have an I-Phone, but an Android. My cell phone provider told me I need to email my photos to myself, but I can't do that. I have 1,000s of photos. If I would put my photos in albums would that help. Or what else could I do? Could my other apps be the problems because my photos have reached a limit? And my phone also says: free up 32.22 GB from device. What does this mean?
To clean your phone, you can perform most of the task listed above. Let me know if you have any problems with those 1-8 steps.

Photos:
You should save photos from your phone to your Google Photos library.
Go to Google Photos app > sign in to your Google Account > tap Menu > select Settings Back up & sync.
turn it on.
In the library all your photos and videos backed up from your phone are private unless you share them.
https://support.google.com/photos/an...DAndroid&hl=en

After you're done with that go to Photo settings and free up space. Those photos are safely backed-up to your Google account. You still will be able to view them at any time after you sign in to your Google account. (see your photos and videos, including the ones you just removed, in the Google Photos app and photos.google.com)

Finally go to Trash folder and empty the trash.

All done? Now go back and see your storage space.
Report back.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:47 PM

I do back up my photos, but the last few won't. I took a bunch of videos today and that might of filled up more, but that was only 1-2 minutes. I am trying to do what you said, but having difficulty. I don't know what to do when I go to the settings. I clicked on apps but don't know what to do from here. I clicked on one of them just now and it has uninstall or force stop. What is force stop? I think I saw awhile back about many of my apps are in the background and to do something with them. Never did and don't understand that or where I found it either. Thanks for your help. And I did call my cell phone provider, but she told me to email my photos I want, hell that is way over 1,000. I need these videos I took today. Thanks again.

Now I just clicked on device care and I have 88/100 unnecessary files. Says, fix now and it won't affect my personal data. Will it delete my photos? Also says, free up to 2 GB.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:47 PM

4,929 posts, read 4,213,919 times
Quote:

You can open messenger, then swipe left on any text you want to delete.

If there are pictures within the messages you want to save, you can save the photo by tapping and holding until the menu option to save comes up. Keep in mind, this will take up phone memory! So once you've saved to photos, you will want to transfer to your computer by using email, dropbox, air drop, iCloud, or some other method.

But if you don't want to save any photos, simply swipe left, choose delete, and the text will be gone, freeing up space.

Old 08-31-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog2 View Post
I do back up my photos, but the last few won't. I took a bunch of videos today and that might of filled up more, but that was only 1-2 minutes. I am trying to do what you said, but having difficulty. I don't know what to do when I go to the settings. I clicked on apps but don't know what to do from here. I clicked on one of them just now and it has uninstall or force stop. What is force stop? I think I saw awhile back about many of my apps are in the background and to do something with them. Never did and don't understand that or where I found it either. Thanks for your help. And I did call my cell phone provider, but she told me to email my photos I want, hell that is way over 1,000. I need these videos I took today. Thanks again.

Now I just clicked on device care and I have 88/100 unnecessary files. Says, fix now and it won't affect my personal data. Will it delete my photos? Also says, free up to 2 GB.
Videos take a lot of memory space, even short ones.

You don't go to phone settings to deal with your photos. You need to go to your Photos app.
This is a google photo app icon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Photos
tap on that to open.
Then tap the three vertical lines next to "search" to open the menu.
Go to "Settings", tap that. Right on the top, you will see "Backup & sync" tap on that and make sure that it's on. (blue dot when on).
It should be linked to your Google account and show your gmail account. All your photos are saved there. You can additionally back up other phone folders. Tap on it and select what else you want to back up.

Then tap "free up space". Only photos that are already backed up will be deleted. So, no fear. You delete them from your phone, but you can still access them on your Google Photos.

See how much space you freed. Report back.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-01-2019, 12:26 PM

I've deleted some apps that were not being used or no longer in use. Will that help the more I delete too, even my history. I google a lot and that might of filled up a lot on my phone, correct? My last 2 photos will not backup and has been trying to backup every time I open the Google photos. I did make an album for the photos and videos I took, but it did not delete it on my Google Photos. I was not able to make an album on my Gallery like at one time I could do. And when I made an album on my Google Photo app, it did not delete them, only copied them. I was able to copy and etc on the other app, Gallery. And what you mentioned, I already knew how to back my photos up. And I don't want to free up my space that I may loose important documents I've downloaded? So what else can I do? Thanks.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:44 PM

Go back to your photos and free the space there. All your photos, but two are already backed up. They are safe on Google photos feature that is outside your phone. Those two photos will not be deleted and they will stay on your phone till you make more space.
You're not touching any of your needed document by doing that. You are just moving your photos from your phone to an internet (web) album. You can access them at any time, but you don't need to have them in your phone.
Just trust me, nothing will happen.

Deleting few apps and browsing history will free a very little space on your phone, while you have 32GB of photos on it that you don't need.
Get your 32GB back on your phone and report back.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:43 PM

8,676 posts, read 9,450,900 times
Simple solution. Just get a new phone. That 5s is going to die soon. When it does, you'll wish you had replaced it beforehand. Great deals on new 7 or 8 phones to be had. A 7 is so superior to your 5s and not much less capable than a X. You are overdue

Old 09-01-2019, 06:49 PM

When I clicked on to free up device, it does say everything has been backed up safely to my Google account. Question: how will I be able to send a photos to a friend, insurance company, etc by text message from my phone if I free up my device? Some friends don't have a computer or know how to use one (really) and that is the only way to communicate with them. So there is nothing else I can do to free up space other than through photo app? Question: on my laptop there is 12GB used out of 15 on my photos. Will putting photos and videos in an album help? And what happens when I reach my 15GB?

Last edited by sundog2; 09-01-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or