Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 11:35 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We have three phones and one is a ZTE phone through QLink and it was acquired for the sole purpose of text since we were getting so many text "at a cost" from telemarketers, etc. on one of the other phones. There is an application we'd like to download so we are considering a move to another carrier. The plan will have only 250mb of data. Besides phone calls in and out and text in and out, what are all the ways data will be used up?
The current phone comes with 1 gig and like magic when the month is over and all we have done is text and calls we have less than 1 gig so something is using data.
I did call the prospective new carrier and they said if the phone service is coming from wi-fi then no data can be used by anyone. And as you may expect they sell a wi-fi setup as an add-on.
Thanks.
Settings, WiFi & internet, data usage. You can see exactly what is using data and how much. There's some surprising data hogs. Since my cellular connection is faster than my home internet, I'm almost never on WiFi. I use Alarmy as my alarm clock. It uses about 100 MB of data a month. You wouldn't think an alarm clock app would use any data but Alarmy primarily exists to deliver advertisements. I mean, it doesn't matter to me as I have 50 GB of "unlimited" data but that's a surprising amount.

250 MB is fine though if you're not using it much. It's plenty for navigation, occasional Google searches and browsing, email. What eats your data like mad is streaming video (Netflix, YouTube). Picture heavy browsing (Facebook/Instagram) and streaming audio use a lot. With limited data just configure updates to occur over your home WiFi and don't stream or surf social media.

There's not much to sell with a WiFi setup. You need a wireless router. If you don't already have one from your home internet provider, you can get a perfectly functional one on Amazon for around $25. Basic, not the best range or good for lots of devices simultaneously using it but perfectly functional. Depending on provider it may be better to provide your own setup. I have AT&T Uverse. I use my own DSL modem and router as its better than the provided 2Wire. I'm still paying $10/month for an "equipment rental fee" as it's unavoidable. With Comcast it's around $10/month but it's an optional fee. Cheaper to buy your own cable modem and $25 WiFi router (or use a combo modem/router) than rent from Comcast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 01:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Settings, WiFi & internet, data usage. You can see exactly what is using data and how much. There's some surprising data hogs. Since my cellular connection is faster than my home internet, I'm almost never on WiFi. I use Alarmy as my alarm clock. It uses about 100 MB of data a month. You wouldn't think an alarm clock app would use any data but Alarmy primarily exists to deliver advertisements. I mean, it doesn't matter to me as I have 50 GB of "unlimited" data but that's a surprising amount.

250 MB is fine though if you're not using it much. It's plenty for navigation, occasional Google searches and browsing, email. What eats your data like mad is streaming video (Netflix, YouTube). Picture heavy browsing (Facebook/Instagram) and streaming audio use a lot. With limited data just configure updates to occur over your home WiFi and don't stream or surf social media.

There's not much to sell with a WiFi setup. You need a wireless router. If you don't already have one from your home internet provider, you can get a perfectly functional one on Amazon for around $25. Basic, not the best range or good for lots of devices simultaneously using it but perfectly functional. Depending on provider it may be better to provide your own setup. I have AT&T Uverse. I use my own DSL modem and router as its better than the provided 2Wire. I'm still paying $10/month for an "equipment rental fee" as it's unavoidable. With Comcast it's around $10/month but it's an optional fee. Cheaper to buy your own cable modem and $25 WiFi router (or use a combo modem/router) than rent from Comcast.

I am with Comcast. Bought my own modem years ago and haven’t paid an equipment rental fee since. Fee is avoidable if you return their modem and tell Comcast you have your own. You must have not done so

Old 09-08-2019, 08:00 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
I went with the Motorola E5. I'll post a new question about phone case, wallet, etc.

Old 09-08-2019, 10:18 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
[/b]I am with Comcast. Bought my own modem years ago and haven’t paid an equipment rental fee since. Fee is avoidable if you return their modem and tell Comcast you have your own. You must have not done so
Which is what I said. Just another curious example of people not bothering to read before unleashing the snark.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:59 PM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Modems don't last forever, mine quit awhile ago, it was old, just thought I'd mention it.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:34 PM

550 posts, read 364,043 times
Not sure why you need the wi-fi set up from the carrier, as it is a feature with most Android phones https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...s.html?page=53 . If the set up buys you getting into secure wi-fi hot spots on the go, then worth considering.

The thing with wi-fi once you leave range of your wi-fi router, typically up to 300 feet, your phone is going to default to your carrier's cellular data. Though there are open wi-fi hot spots out there meaning not secure and can be a risk to your phone's data being hacked, most wi-fi network's are password protected.

Unless you are at the very beginning of your billing period, you can also go into your Android, Settings Icon, Network and Internet, Data Usage and see what apps are using data. There you can also Limit Mobile Data and send Mobile Data alerts. Also with Data Usage, you can go into each app listed and turn off Background Data (continuous real-time updating of data in the background). For some apps, not a problem, but others using this setting, it can keep them from working depending on your need, so you have to experiment. Generally, apps you use periodically but not continuously you can turn off Background Data. Anything you get alerts from such as your email you want to leave Background Data on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones