Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 05:56 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

I live 6 months in the US and 6 months overseas and would like to download few of the local apps.
However no matter what I do - changed location on Google, turned off my location, tried to use VPN - I always get the "This app isn't available in your country".
But I AM at the right country! The app is even in the local language!

Not sure what else I should try.
I could change my location on Google Pay, but I can do it only once a year, I also need my US location to pay my bills online.

Anyone had similar problem and could help?
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 06:34 PM

6,450 posts, read 3,965,859 times
Did you buy the phone in the other country? I'm wondering if that may be the issue. Or, is it possible that Google Play Store/Apple Store have the other location stored somewhere you're not aware of?

ETA: Just read your OP again. It's there that you're having the issue? And you bought the phone in the U.S.? If you're keeping one location somewhere in one of the important apps, then I'm guessing yes, that's your problem. Can you get an el-cheapo just to use over there?

Old 10-02-2019, 07:01 PM

The thing is that only selected apps show as not available in my (overseas) country. I think it must have definitely to do with the phone/browser settings.
It's US phone with local SIM card and internet. I have local internet here at home. IP shows the local/correct location. Browsing is in local language. Google shows the correct location.
Google Play might have stored US location but I can't find it to change.

Of course my Google Pay has US location. US credit cards are pinned to it. I use it almost daily to pay for commute. But that location can be changed only once a year, not twice as I would like it.

I could buy el cheapo, but I need the info stored on my US phone - banking and such. I don't have local credit cards.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:53 PM

I used APK download and got those few apps from there. There is an amount of risk to using APK files. Since they are not authorized by Google Play, one can end up with a harmful file on the phone or device, but the security in my phone didn't get alerted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones