U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:55 AM

35,124 posts, read 42,565,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
What carrier? Verizon, Sprint? That would make it easier to help you.
Videotron. the phone i have at the moment is a 6-7 year old Samsung product model number SMJ120W. when i try to access pics i've taken with it there comes a note saying ,not enough storage space to open gallery. Also im a bit challenged by the technology of these things.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-10-2019 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,489,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
That would depend on calling patterns of the OP, wouldn't it ? All carriers can get your voice/data from point A to point B with the same efficiency and speed....but first they have to provide coverage to point A. Not all carriers have the same footprint. Check cell phone coverage maps...there are many.

Asking others "which phone/carrier is best", is a lot like asking which truck is best....best for what, best for who ?
For this part, I was talking about the strength and quality of the signal. That is VERY geographically specific, per provider. It depends on the direction and distance and the topology of the ground between, the various nearby cell towers that the provider uses.
For this, local personal experiences, checking yourself or asking neighbors, is the only way to find out.

BTW: the cell phone coverage maps have very little to do with actual coverage. They are marketing tools that are not based on any actual measurements.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:08 PM

1,241 posts, read 681,874 times
Videotron is in Canada. Perhaps OP can look at their website and see if Videotron sells smartphones for their service.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:29 PM

35,124 posts, read 42,565,059 times
Daughter is upscaling to something called a Pixel 3a and will give me her Pixel 2xl good deal? any one know about pixel phones? And ooops my cell provider is Bell and not Videotron,

Thanks

Old 09-10-2019, 02:52 PM

1,241 posts, read 681,874 times
A Pixel will work beautifully.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:57 PM

2,640 posts, read 1,958,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Personally, I think iphones are way over priced, and over hyped. I favor the Andriod platform and Motorola products, they work well, are feature rich, yet inexpensive. Like this one, rated 4 stars out of 5 by cnet....less than $225.

Regards
Gemstone1
I've recently left iPhones and now have a Motorola G6. I wish I had switched years ago.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:50 PM

197 posts, read 75,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
For this part, I was talking about the strength and quality of the signal. That is VERY geographically specific, per provider. It depends on the direction and distance and the topology of the ground between, the various nearby cell towers that the provider uses.
For this, local personal experiences, checking yourself or asking neighbors, is the only way to find out.

BTW: the cell phone coverage maps have very little to do with actual coverage. They are marketing tools that are not based on any actual measurements.

For 4G service for the major carriers, https://www.cellmapper.net/ shows the triangulation of the cell phone towers radio signal down to the street level for at least average (not weak) coverage, and is updated every month or two. It only reports for outdoor coverage, not indoor coverage. So if you are in that basement apartment with thick walls, this will affect your coverage.

Old 09-21-2019, 02:55 AM

14,518 posts, read 16,543,509 times
Moto G phones used to be pretty where it was at for a phone that was all people actually needed. You could get cheaper phones, but they were so much worse it really wasn't worth it for most people. Now though the G7 is expensive enough it's worth looking at other phones as well, or get an older G6. Pixel3a would be worth looking. It's a bit slow for the money buy the camera might be worth it.

If you need two phones, you can get a Moto G7 and a free G6. $300 for a G7 with a free G6 thrown in is great deal... provided you need two phones. If not it's obviously not.

If you want an iPhone, iPhone SE is perfectly fine. It's small, not very impressive, front camera is garbage if FaceTime (video calling) is important. But it'll get the job done and it's a massive price jump to an iPhone 11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones