U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 10:15 AM

1,241 posts, read 681,229 times

Advertisements

I currently use Ooma for my home phone with their Premier service. I use their call-blocking function extensively, along with the integrated NoMoRobo. I get very few, if any, spam calls. The Premier service and the monthly taxes adds up to about $200/year.

I also have a Google Voice number. It does not seem to be user-configurable, other than an on-off switch. Individual calls can be blocked, but there is no wildcard blocking. There also does not seem to be a way to allow only your contacts to ring through and send all others to voicemail. Still, I get very few, if any, spam calls.

I am thinking of dropping Ooma and using GV instead for my home phone to save the $200. I know I will have to buy an Obihai 200 for $50.

For those of you who use GV exclusively, or for a long time, what is your experience with their spam-blocking ability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 AM

4,591 posts, read 8,195,924 times
very rudimentary. You can mark calls as spam and I believe they will just go to VM the next time. But that's not exactly effective these days as everyone seems to be spoofing numbers. So it's a very reactionary tool.

As you said - I don't think there is a way to only allow those on your contact list to reach you.

That said - you get what you pay for. And since GV is essentially free, the lack of enhanced feature doesn't bother me. In fact, I pretty much use it as an outbound only line. DND is on, so it never rings. I use my smartphone to receive actual voice calls. Of course, this works for me, but it may not meet the requirements of other's.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:57 PM

7,954 posts, read 9,024,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post

For those of you who use GV exclusively, or for a long time, what is your experience with their spam-blocking ability?
I've used GV both exclusively and for a long time (a decade).

The way I block spam calls is first to only allow calls to ring to my GV enabled phone if the call is coming from someone in my contact list. Otherwise the call goes to voicemail and if it's someone I then want to add to my contact list I will do so.

The trick in setting it up to work is that you don't designate any of your phones as a forwarding number in GV. Calls come into GV and the call will ring if it's someone on your contact list who is in a group that allows calls to forward to your GV number. You get the call on a device running GV (Android with the app, or Obihai adapter for free home GV service). Calls that don't ring then will rollover to voicemail.

I literally get zero spam calls ringing through, with this method. But it does mean a first time caller who is not yet on my contact list will not get me live and once I add them to my contact list and put them into a category (friends/business/medical/family) I will subsequently get their call as it will ring my phone. That tradeoff is worth it to me.

Once I see the spam call listed in my history, I will mark the call as spam and often will block the phone number in GV so they get a "number not in service" message if they call again. I don't have to do this last step, but I kind of like doing it.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:23 PM

7,147 posts, read 3,904,178 times
How much do you use this line?

If not a ton, look at using that Obihai with another VoIP provider like CallCentric. Probably more features than GV but less cost than Ooma.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:55 PM

4,591 posts, read 8,195,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
i've used gv both exclusively and for a long time (a decade).

The way i block spam calls is first to only allow calls to ring to my gv enabled phone if the call is coming from someone in my contact list. Otherwise the call goes to voicemail and if it's someone i then want to add to my contact list i will do so.

the trick in setting it up to work is that you don't designate any of your phones as a forwarding number in gv. Calls come into gv and the call will ring if it's someone on your contact list who is in a group that allows calls to forward to your gv number. You get the call on a device running gv (android with the app, or obihai adapter for free home gv service). Calls that don't ring then will rollover to voicemail.

i literally get zero spam calls ringing through, with this method. But it does mean a first time caller who is not yet on my contact list will not get me live and once i add them to my contact list and put them into a category (friends/business/medical/family) i will subsequently get their call as it will ring my phone. That tradeoff is worth it to me.

Once i see the spam call listed in my history, i will mark the call as spam and often will block the phone number in gv so they get a "number not in service" message if they call again. I don't have to do this last step, but i kind of like doing it.
til!

Old 10-11-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I've used GV both exclusively and for a long time (a decade).

The way I block spam calls is first to only allow calls to ring to my GV enabled phone if the call is coming from someone in my contact list. Otherwise the call goes to voicemail and if it's someone I then want to add to my contact list I will do so.

The trick in setting it up to work is that you don't designate any of your phones as a forwarding number in GV. Calls come into GV and the call will ring if it's someone on your contact list who is in a group that allows calls to forward to your GV number. You get the call on a device running GV (Android with the app, or Obihai adapter for free home GV service). Calls that don't ring then will rollover to voicemail.

I literally get zero spam calls ringing through, with this method. But it does mean a first time caller who is not yet on my contact list will not get me live and once I add them to my contact list and put them into a category (friends/business/medical/family) I will subsequently get their call as it will ring my phone. That tradeoff is worth it to me.

Once I see the spam call listed in my history, I will mark the call as spam and often will block the phone number in GV so they get a "number not in service" message if they call again. I don't have to do this last step, but I kind of like doing it.
What you describe is how I want to use my phone. My contacts are in labelled groups, but I see no way to designate whether their call will be allowed to ring my phone or go straight to voicemail. Would you please elaborate?

Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
but I see no way to designate whether their call will be allowed to ring my phone or go straight to voicemail. Would you please elaborate?
I use my MacBook laptop

I use the Google Voice Legacy interface to manage my GV options, (In google voice, scroll down the left column almost down to the bottom and you will see "Google Legacy"; click on that to open the legacy interface in a new tab) (https://support.google.com/voice/thread/1964250?hl=en)

Once the Legacy interface is open, click on gear icon on upper right of screen beneath your account picture and go to SETTINGS.

First tab (Phones) - make sure you've added all the forwarding phones you intend to use with the GV service and set them up properly AND then make sure to uncheck all of them in the list and click SAVE at the bottom of the screen.

Fourth tab (Groups) - this is where you have your groups to which you set your options for each group. Click on EDIT to select which phones will ring when a call comes in from anyone assigned to this group. UNcheck any phones you do not want to ring if that phone is checked. IF you don't want any phone to ring for people in that group, then make sure no phones are selected and the calls will go to voicemail. (Make sure you click on SAVE at the bottom of the page)

To assign your contacts into one or more groups go to https://contacts.google.com/

Last edited by lottamoxie; 10-11-2019 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-11-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I use my MacBook laptop

I use the Google Voice Legacy interface to manage my GV options, (In google voice, scroll down the left column almost down to the bottom and you will see "Google Legacy"; click on that to open the legacy interface in a new tab) (https://support.google.com/voice/thread/1964250?hl=en)

Once the Legacy interface is open, click on gear icon on upper right of screen beneath your account picture and go to SETTINGS.

First tab (Phones) - make sure you've added all the forwarding phones you intend to use with the GV service and set them up properly AND then make sure to uncheck all of them in the list and click SAVE at the bottom of the screen.

Fourth tab (Groups) - this is where you have your groups to which you set your options for each group. Click on EDIT to select which phones will ring when a call comes in from anyone assigned to this group. UNcheck any phones you do not want to ring if that phone is checked. IF you don't want any phone to ring for people in that group, then make sure no phones are selected and the calls will go to voicemail. (Make sure you click on SAVE at the bottom of the page)

To assign your contacts into one or more groups go to https://contacts.google.com/
Thank you for the step-by-step instructions! I forgot that some settings are in Legacy GV. They do seem to make it as confusing as possible, at least to me

With the call screening, do you turn it on for "all contacts" AND "anonymous callers"?

With an Obihai box, how do you tell GV to send the call to the phone attached to it?

Old 10-11-2019, 11:00 AM

I don't use call screening for any calls coming in as I want to see the phone number or name.

Anonymous callers aren't on my contact list and therefore they won't ring my phones. ONLY contacts on my contact list get through. "All Contacts" in Groups are set for the ObiTalk device. That rings the cordless phones attached to the Obi adapter and will ring my google voice app on my android phone.

The Obihai/ObiTalk appears in the google phone list as "Obitalk Device" and whatever is attached to that obihai adapter will ring, based on the rules you set up.

----------

I'm so sad the legacy interface is being phased out. I abhor the new google voice interface, especially on my laptop browser.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:33 AM

So if I want all my contacts to ring my Obihai phone and everyone else to go to voicemail, I would:

- designate the Obihai device either for each group of contacts or for All Contacts
- designate no device for anonymous callers (I'm assuming that's anyone who's not a contact)

and that would do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones