U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 08:27 AM

11,820 posts, read 13,961,605 times

Advertisements

Ads are trying to sell you things. Of course, they want to leave an impression on you. However, your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I only do Android. My wife and every ogher person I know always has the latest iphone. I'm not impressed.
clearly implied that you are not impressed by your wife's phone or anyone else's. Those people aren't buying the latest phones to impress you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 05:22 PM

4,256 posts, read 8,013,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ads are trying to sell you things. Of course, they want to leave an impression on you. However, your post:

clearly implied that you are not impressed by your wife's phone or anyone else's. Those people aren't buying the latest phones to impress you.
I think the other person was stating an opinion. Nothing more. You are reading way too much into what that person posted. Or maybe you are mad because he said he didn't like Sony phones, your recommended brand.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I think the other person was stating an opinion. Nothing more.
We're having a discussion. That's what we do here.

Quote:
You are reading way too much into what that person posted.
No, I am reading exactly what he wrote. He is not impressed by his wife's phone. or his friends phone. That's great, people don't buy phones to impress others. That's all I said.

Quote:
Or maybe you are mad because he said he didn't like Sony phones, your recommended brand.
Not even a tiny bit mad. If there was a mad scale I would be negative mad.
Anyone who spends any time here would know I am not so easily offended.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:54 AM

6,536 posts, read 3,769,352 times
Anyway I wonder if we'll be going back to smaller phones. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy J6+, and it's a great phone, but it's by far the largest phone i've ever had. That said, it's great because the screen / body size ratio makes it that even though the screen is 5.6 inches big, it doesn't feel that big because the phone is pretty flat and there's not much else than the screen.

My gf just bought the new fairphone 3 which is an interesting project. The screen size is exactly the same but the phone seems massive in comparison because it's completely replaceable and you can fix the different parts.

I wish that the same thing was available in a smaller screen, say, 4.5 inches would be perfect. If we start seeing other phones that can be easily fixed / repaired then it would make sense to go back a bit smaller, otherwise we're just carrying tablets in our pockets.

I kinda miss using my Nokia 5310 expressmusic. That was a great piece of technology.

Old 10-24-2019, 02:53 PM

I was always anti big phones. I remember after I got my first 'big one' I broke it and went back to my little phone...and I hated it. I think phones are a good size now. I doubt we'll ever go back to small.
Sony will always have a Compact model and rumor has it Apple is going to release another small one. Maybe if that succeeds we'll see small... who am I kidding? no... we won't. That ship has sailed.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:42 PM

6,536 posts, read 3,769,352 times
I don't know, I think there has to be a fine line between the convenience of carrying and the convenience of using a screen that is comfortable.

I mean, I wouldn't want anything bigger than my phone and bigger there is. I kinda envy people using an Iphone SE sometimes.

But hey, we can only buy what is commercially available.

My point was also about the repairability of phones and the fact that it makes them bigger (at least in the case of the fairphone).

Old 10-25-2019, 09:25 AM

7,147 posts, read 3,904,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I was always anti big phones. I remember after I got my first 'big one' I broke it and went back to my little phone...and I hated it. I think phones are a good size now. I doubt we'll ever go back to small.
Sony will always have a Compact model and rumor has it Apple is going to release another small one. Maybe if that succeeds we'll see small... who am I kidding? no... we won't. That ship has sailed.
Even the "iPhone SE 2" rumors now have it as an iPhone 6s/7/8-sized device and not the smaller original SE.

The whole idea of the SE 2 is to be able to leverage a cheap LCD panel source for lower-cost markets (and the low end of the US market).

Old 10-25-2019, 10:20 PM

7,532 posts, read 6,211,055 times
At 5.6" the Pixel 3a might be too big, but if not it's a great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones